Start by marking “Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)” as Want to Read:
Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)

Never Love a Cowboy

(Rogues in Texas #2)

"I would not make a good husband. I do, however, make an excellent lover..."

Harrison Bainbridge, the second son of an English earl, left his home seeking a scandal-free life away from society's stuffy restraints. Then he arrives in Texas, never expecting that a sassy saloon-keeper's daughter would capture his eye. With her outspoken ways and flashing eyes, Jessye Kane is m

Published April 1st 2000 by Avon (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Never Love a Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Love a Cowboy

Ally
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly dnf'd it. Then something magical happened.

ate it up!

I just ate this sh!t up. This wasn't like rock your world right off the bat ate it up. It was slow in coming, don't suck you and then it just happens.

Read this for the 2017 year long challenge with the Historical Romance group, western category

Setting / Time / Genre: Texas, mid 1800s

Series: Yes

Sexy times: Yep. A wee bit naughty for Health's earlier work. Caught me by surprise.

Plan on reading more by the author: Duh....always.

SynopsisHero is Bri
Beanbag Love
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Aaaaah. That hits the spot. I should have gotten more work done yesterday, but I was obsessed with what would happen next for Harrison and Jessye.

Harrison is a second son of an earl whose father sent him to Texas to keep him from getting into enough gambling trouble that he'd be thrown in the Thames. His childhood was very harsh, thanks to an insane mother who did plenty of damage by the time she was caught and that harshness has twisted Harry's emotions to a point where he's pretty certain the
Bark
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Jessye works in her father's saloon serving drinks. When she was sixteen she fell in love with a handsome, smooth-talking dude who promised her the world and instead left her heart and reputation in tatters. Jessye believes that she is unworthy of a husband and a family of her own because of her past. She dreams of becoming independent from men and making her way on her own. This is why she agrees to finance a half-cocked idea thought up by two Englishmen to round up cattle and deliver them east ...more
Pepa
Entre 3 y 4, me ha gustado más que el anterior
Quizás sea muy injusto comparar estas novelas con las últimas que he leído de esta autora que me encanta. 15 años las separan y eso se nota
Me ha parecido una historia bonita en la que la autora ya despunta por el gusto por protagonistas atípicos de fuerte carácter y con un pasado que les ha marcado.
Aquí encontramos, por un lado, una joven que busca desesperadamente la independencia, el no tener que necesitar a un hombre para vivir su vida. Una mujer
Buggy
"I would not make a good husband. I do, however, make an excellent lover"

This was a great read that kind of snuck up on me, especially once I started picturing Johnny Depp as our roguish hero. Yes indeed, he would make a fine British cowboy, ala Jack Sparrow on a cattle drive, attempting to woo the heroine into bed with his clever, wicked tongue and laughing eyes. Anyways that’s what gets me through the day.

Harrison Bainbridge is a scoundrel and I absolutely adored him. The second son of an Eng
Julianna
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Western Romance; Tortured Heroes
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I have no idea why I keep allowing so much time to pass between my reading of Lorraine Heath's novels. I was shocked to discover that four whole years have gone by since I last read one of her books, which happened to be the first in her Rogues in Texas series. My only excuse is that I keep getting distracted by other books and authors or I keep trying to read certain books that fit the various reading challenges in which I participate. But whatever the reasons, I really
Glenda Kinard
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book by Lorraine Heath this was my 4th book so far by this talented author and each book I read just makes me a bigger fan of her awesome work. Harry had me hating and despising him on one page and then cheering him on another. I loved strong willed Jessye from the first time she crossed the page back in a Rogue in Texas. Can Harry a scoundrel and obsessive gambler become the man He wants to be and the man Jessye loves even though she fights against him as much as she can?? Lor ...more
Juliana Philippa
Never Love a Cowboy was a great follow up to A Rogue in Texas; both books have very big obstacles in the stories and much sadder undertones in some areas than most other historical romances. This wasn't a bad thing though, just something I'm remarking on. I absolutely loved Jessye and Harry and thought they were absolutely wonderful together. I wanted to read more of their story and have certain sections lengthened, which is always a good sign. Definitely recommend.
Candace N
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not much to say really... there wasn't anything about this book I did not like. I absolutely loved this story and I adored the characters. Harrison is the ultimate dream book boyfriend. The writing was fantastic. The easiest 5 stars I've ever given, this story completely captivated me.
Barbara
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recommend that you read this series in order. I did not, as they weren't readily available. This gave away some of the plot.
I still think Ms. Heath's writing is terrific!
Veda
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book continues the story that was started in "A Rogue in Texas"; with Harrison Bainbridge getting to tell his story.
Harrison Bainbridge has entered into a business venture with his friend Kit and with Jessye Kane, that if successful will bring all involved a lot of money.
I was hooked on Harrison the first time I met him as a secondary character in "A Rogue in Texas", and his story went in a direction that I wasn't expecting. Jessye, also turned out to be a person of strength that was hint
Tonya Lucas
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lorraine Heath's To Never Love A Cowboy was wonderful. The story picks up where the 1st book left off, A Rogue In Texas. But this book went in a different direction than I had thought. It is very well written and Ms. Heath's ability to write with so much emotion is outstanding.
Jessye and Harry are two head strong, stubborn individuals that truly need each other. Hardship for different reasons had been laid upon them years ago, but the reminder of those hardships are front and center everyday as
Dawn
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: heath-lorraine
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Well, same old same old. Very formulaic and pretty reminiscent of the first book, but an enjoyable read if you're looking for Western romance.
The Lusty Literate
2.5/3 Stars | Hot Steam

Liked Jessye. Harrison, not so much.
Borrow only.
Mara Rose
I've enjoyed most of the Western historical romances that Heath has written. Her heroes and heroines are intense, rugged, and as enduring as I imagine the frontier was back then.

Her romances are *Intense* with all the angst and yearning and the reasons for not having. Be prepared for any Heath novel to involve a roller coaster of emotions. I should know by now, after reading romances for the past decade or two, that you really should mix them up and not read the same type or from the same autho
Katherine 黄爱芬
Buku kedua Seri Rogue of Texas ini masih menyuguhkan romance yg menarik. Adu mulut antara Harry dan Jessye layak dibaca krn masing-masing pintar memutarbalikkan perkataan lawan bicara. Di awal kita diajak ikut berpetualang bersama Harry, Kit dan Jessye utk berburu ternak-ternak di daerah sekitar Kansas. Turun naik emosi mereka berjalan seiring juga turun naiknya suasana menegangkan dimana banyak hewan liar, ganas begitu pula orang-orang yg dijumpai oleh mereka.

Titik balik terjadi saat Harry meng
Bia
No fue como la primera, pero también me gustó. Aquí los protas se van conociendo poco a poco, en un arreo de ganado, compartiendo lo mejor y lo peor de sus caracteres. Jessye muestra todas sus debilidades, miedos e inseguridades, mientras que Harrison se resiste al amor y a reconocer lo que siente (típico de los granujas de pelo negro y ojos azules jaja).

Pero realmente esta historia es un poco más trágica, y eso hizo que me desencantará un poco. A ver, no es que esté en contra del sufrimiento y
Coral
*SBTB Quarterly Challenge - July 3. Julius Caesar: Read a historical not set in England.
Numbers Challenge - Trilogy (three): Read a book that is part of a trilogy.*
S'Ok. That's the best I can give it. This is the first western I've read by this author and I didn't like it near as much as her England set historicals. The characters and plot were all over the place and the setting wasn't particularly strong. The quality of the writing brought it up to a three star.
Maybe cowboys just aren't my thin
Amy
It's okay, Lorraine Heath. Imma just lie here on the floor. Eviscerated. No big deal.
Stayed up til 2AM because I quite literally couldn't put it down.
Harry is an emotionally unavailable earl's son sent to America after running up too much gambling debt and Jessye is a smart & sassy drink-slinging saloon owner's daughter, and their story is poignant, powerful, painful and so satisfying. Couldn't have enjoyed it more!
Remi
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I didn't like this book more. Maybe because I didn't feel the pacing was quite on-track, or because I felt I didn't come to know or care for either of the main characters... It was an easy and entertaining read, but the story moved along so fast (with jumps of time of weeks or months within chapters) that it was hard to feel attached to anything.

Or maybe I just prefer Lorraine Heath's England-based stories to Texas ones.
Elisa Vangelisti
Fa star male e per questo pensavo di liberarlo dopo averlo terminato. Ma è così bello e scritto così bene che ci ho ripensato: non me ne separerò, per ora. Più di quello che si trova in quarta di copertina c’è un incidente quasi mortale che stravolge la vita di entrambi i protagonisti. Come riusciranno a cambiare le loro sorti non lo posso dire,ma gli amanti del romance storico dovrebbero assolutamente leggere questa storia.
Jill Ray
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thoroughly enjoyable, well-rounded, historical romance set on the post American Civil War frontier. I found the characters to be unique and nuanced while remaining relatable and believable. There was a nice mixture of action/plot development as well as setting and character descriptions and developments.
Midniteillusion
It starts out really well but I feel like it fizzled out. I felt the connection more in the first half than the second half. A good connection to both chs up until then but then it was like the same emotional issue over and over which kept brining it down. Think it went from a 5 Star to a 3 Star.
Loved the heroine throughout but thought out hero got a bit boring after his injury.
ksstannard
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
But love Lorraine Heath tales

Combining English aristocracy and the lore of the West is sheer genius. Having two of my favorite genres filled with memorable characters make this series irresistible.
Haley
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet another victim of my reading slump. I had hoped in reading this book (Heath being a particular favorite author of mine) I would be re-energized in my reading... that was not the case. I just could not get myself invested, let alone interested, in the plot or characters of this book.
Judith Sherrod
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never Love a Cowboy

Interesting account of second sons of English nobles sent to America to grow up and make their own way. Most of the money and attention was on the heir and he had to be protected car all cost.
Ellyn (Mrs. Darcy in my Dreams)
3.5 stars. I liked the first one more. A little too much maudlin issues in both MCs past.
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars rounded down.
Andrea
Jan 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really wanted to like this one because I've been craving old west historical romance, but I did not. DNFed it about halfway.

• To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Indigo Blue (Comanche, #3)
  • Pieces of Sky (Blood Rose, #1)
  • Sing My Name
  • Emma And The Outlaw (Orphan Train, #2)
  • Comanche Woman (Sisters of the Lone Star, #2)
  • Rachel and the Hired Gun (Men of Defiance Book 1)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Redemption (Devereaux, #6)
  • What a Lady Most Desires (Temberlay, #3)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin

Rogues in Texas (3 books)
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
“Probabilmente no, quindi ti lascio con un piccolo consiglio, dato che conosci tanto bene le carte. La vita è come loro. Vincere non consiste nell’avere una buona mano, ma nel giocarne bene una mediocre.” 0 likes
“He cradled her cheek and turned her head slightly, until their gazes met. "For whatever comfort this might bring you in the nights that follow, know this... when I thought death was a certainty, I chose a collection of memories that revolved around you to carry into the dark with me.” 0 likes