Start by marking “A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge” as Want to Read:
A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge

A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge

Business analysis is the set of tasks and techniques used to work as a liaison among stakeholders in order to understand the structure, policies, and operations of an organization, and to recommend solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals. Business analysis involves understanding how organizations function to accomplish their purposes and defining the ca ...more
Published March 31st 2009 by International Institute of Business Analysis (first published January 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge

Start your review of A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge
Bob S.
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
As is typical of books of this sort, the Guide to the BABOK does not offer a predefined methodology for Business Analysis. Instead the reader will find descriptions of the components of a methodology (processes, artifacts, & techniques) that they must assemble themselves into a workable methodology.

The strengths of such an approach are first, any methodology must typically be tailored for implementation within a given organizational context. Second, books that provide a coherent, ready-to-use me
Mariya Lotsman
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comparing to v2 this one actually talks about "value" which your work as a business analyst brings to your customer. Realistic new concepts, much better wording. This all gives 4 stars to new version. The old one was so old :( didn't have a bunch of useful techniques and totally was lacking strategy section. The information is still not full in new one (like if you really want to know about business models it's better to read about them separately), but much better than v2.
Terry
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very repetitive, mostly common sense. If you have to read this book to learn how to be a BA, you won't make it. Mostly teaches you the terminology hiring managers are expecting to hear in an interview, or read on your interview.
Sulastryn70
Help me to understand about task/job/role a business analyst in software development life cycle. all of us need to read and apply it. thanks
Scott Fabel
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK Guide) is published by the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) as the de facto standard for business analysis. In many ways, it mimics the Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide), yet it has a lot of its own unique features. It focuses on the six knowledge areas of business analysis, their associated tasks, and the techniques that can be used to achieve goals of the tasks.

The first chapter of the B
Helen
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super dry and offers no practical or prescriptive advice, but does a thorough job of laying out the theory and concepts. I read in tandem with a study guide for CBAP and in some ways the practical guide was better, in others the philosophy was better. I wonder how helpful anyone thinks the philosophical diagrams of concepts are, because they don’t really say much to me.
Jaimie Asakawa
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love business analysis and I genuinely enjoyed reading this reference book! 🤓
Bec Truong
Aug 20, 2020 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business Analysts
Done. Warning - do not attempt to read without some sort of Study Guide and/or support group to assist, it's a dry read and using supporting tools will bring it to life.
Ravikiran
Business Analysis Planning & Monitoring
Overview
The Business Analysis Planning and Monitoring Knowledge Area defines the tasks associated with the planning and monitoring of business analysis activities, including:

identifying stakeholders

defining roles and responsibilities of stakeholders in the business analysis effort

developing estimates for business analysis tasks

planning how the business analyst will communicate with stakeholders

planning how requirements will be approached, traced, and prio
Jenny
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
I wish I'd read this book earlier! I moved up from a developer role to a lead/PM/BA position a couple years ago. I had previous PM training, but the BA stuff was new. Reading this earlier would have made that part of the role feel much more comfortable. The voice isn't perfectly consistent throughout the book (it's obvious it was written by multiple people), but the information is great for someone trying to figure out the job, if a bit hard to read at times. It can get pretty technical and was ...more
Mahmoud
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Rich and clear
د.نادر الملاح
This is a study book that illustrates in detail the various methods, techniques, and other aspects of Business Analysis according to the IIBA Standards.

The book is only good for readers wanting to sit for IIBA examination or a go for some deep studies in the area of Business Analysis. I don't recommend this book for people attempting to create some general understanding of Business Analysis as it goes really deep and uses very technical language in this field.

As of the purpose of the book, it is
Priyank
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good study for Business Analysts and product / portfolio / project management Professionals alike.

Business Analysis encompasses a wide range of roles at various levels , and the BABOK has useful guiding techniques for everyone.

The only reason to rate 4/5 is that there is that it doesn't explore more on new-age methodologies like Agile. However there is an Agile supplement to this book , plus the newer version to this book is now in the market (v3) and deals with more techniques.
Meredith
Oct 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
Perhaps I haven't found the right use for this book yet, as I'm not currently studying for my CBAP exam. However, I prefer texts that provide more helpful tips and methodologies, whereas the BABOK simply describes a framework and interrelated areas of competence for BAs.
Tony Tones
The information is useful, but poor written; it is as if the book was not properly planned, so there are paragraphs tacked on the end of each chapter, that could have been included as part of the body of a particular chapter.
Vija Šiltere
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Izlasīju. Vairākas reizes. Man patika. Uzzināju šo to jaunu. Sastrukturēju esošās zināšanas. Noliku eksāmenu. Visjaukākais, aizverot šo grāmatu, ir tas, ka tagad atkal varēšu lasīt citas grāmatas :)
(Nu, un BABOK Guide, v3.0, protams arī).
John
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Hope to take the test this year (2013).
M_moatassem
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
BABoK V2.0 requires a lot of re-structuring, as well as usage of simpler language to promote understanding.
Vince
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A solid and well-documented book of knowledge. I find many of the aspects quite applicable to my job.
Retkhita Zarni
Jul 21, 2013 is currently reading it
A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge by Iba A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge
Rolands Koncevičs
Essential to pass examination as well structures thoughts in business analysis.
Must read for the current and to be analysts.
Kamil
Jan 05, 2013 added it
dscdzczxcz
Cameron
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
A well defined book, lacks examples however as a primer to being a BA it is an excellent start
Gerald
Cimi
Nov 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Business Analysis
  • A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)
  • Seven Steps to Mastering Business Analysis
  • The Business Analyst's Handbook
  • The Thirteen Books of the Elements, Books 3 - 9
  • They Thought They Were Free: The Germans 1933-45
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Prima Official Game Guide
  • The Thirteen Books of Euclid's Elements, Books 10 - 13
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands: Dark Waters
  • The Art of Metal Gear Solid V
  • Build Your Running Body: A Total-Body Fitness Plan for All Distance Runners, from Milers to Ultramarathoners—Run Farther, Faster, and Injury-Free
  • The Yellow Birds
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Rand McNally 2019 Large Scale Road Atlas
  • The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
  • The Right Way to Play Chess
  • Business Analyst's Mentor Book : With Best Practice Business Analysis Techniques and Software Requirements Management Tips
  • The Andromeda Strain (Andromeda, #1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »