Start by marking “Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One” as Want to Read:
Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One

Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One (The Pain and the Great One #3)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  380 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The perfect chapter book!

The Pain and the Great One hardly agree on anything. But deep down, they know they can count on each other, especially at school, where it often takes two to figure things out. Like when that first baby tooth falls out on the school bus. Or when an unwanted visitor on Bring Your Pet to School Day needs to be caught. Or worst of all, when a scary bu
Published August 11th 2009 by Yearling (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Julie M. Prince for TeensReadToo.com

Jake, also known as The Pain to his big sister, has plenty to deal with at school. From the bully who steals his magnifying glass to the disastrous Bring Your Pet to School Day, navigating the first grade is no simple matter. Luckily his big sister, Abigail The Great One, has been through it all before. When she's not too busy being great, she lends a helping hand, and in the process, she finds that even third graders need a little help now and the
Becky
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool Zone...is a fun chapter book. Narrated by 'the Pain' (younger brother, Jake, first grade) and 'the Great One' (older sister, Abigail, third grade), Cool Zone with the Pain & the Great One is family-and-school drama at its best. Each chapter is a self-contained story or adventure. Episodic. Both brother and sister were enjoyable. All the chapters were enjoyable. But if I had to pick a favorite, I'd have to admit that my favorite chapter is the last chapter which is narrated by the family ...more
Stef Rozitis
Reminiscent in a way of the Ramona series by Beverly Cleary. But this one is done by Judy Blume who is reasonably good at making relationships complex and showing the love/hate sibling thing believably. Some tendency to stereotyping (and the girls chase boys stuff) but not as much as I expected and more problematised (though gently) than I expected.

Quite a sweet loveable book for one that is essentially about conflict/insecurity. My son enjoyed it too when he was a bit younger!
Marcia
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: grade 1-2
Shelves: grades-1-3
I love Judy Blume. This collection of short stories featuring 1st grade Jake (the Pain) and his 3rd grade sister Abigail (the Great One) would be a perfect choice for a 1st grade read-aloud or 2nd grade independent reading. It is not a god choice for the MCBA program which is geared to students in grades 4-6. While the reading level is accessible, the content is too young and babyish. A fine book, but a disappointing choice for this year's MCBA list.
Deborah
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pain (a first grader) and the Great One (fifth grader, I think) are brother and sister. Chapters alternate as each tell stories that always end in one or the other helping the other out. Well, the Great One's stories usually have her little brother being a tease. Very cute and humorous stories from legend Judy Blume.

Middle elementary school.
Akari Wilson
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a story about two kids who really disagree about a lot of things like if one of the kids are old enough to use a magnifying glass or not. What I like about it is that there are stories about tough times with bullies and that sort of thing.
Jen
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judy Blume writes the best characters. This story about a 3rd grade sister, "the Great one," and her little 1st grade brother, "the Pain," is fun and lighthearted. A quick read with your kids.
Chandler Cash
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Cool Zone, I thought it was a clever story which did a great job talking about the relationships of siblings and how their dynamic, though it looks like its constantly changing, is always constant. I remember reading some of Judy Blume's stories when I was a child, so picking up this book and reading it reminded me of my childhood and being in elementary school.

For the classroom I think this would be an exactly story. Judy Blume does a great job of showing how as a child you think adu
Dolly
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is a funny and sweet story about sibling relationships at the ages of 6 and 8. That's perfect for our girls, and although the dynamic is different in our house (with two girls instead of a girl and a boy), the love, the fights, the encouragements and the competitiveness are still very much the same in many respects.

I liked that the two children dealt with a bully situation in an appropriate way, by getting the help of teachers, especially when it was beyond their ability to discuss the sit
george
Jake is known by his name to everyone except his older sister, Abibgail. She calls him the pain. Jake has his own name for Abigail as well: the great one. These siblings have a classic case of sibling rivalry and each are convinced that his parents loves the other more than him. In Cool Zone we see more of the family's adventures narrated in turn by the pain and the great one. School life and home life play prominently in the first and third graders lives. Each chapter is a different story that ...more
Andrea
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so after the last kids series bust I was so hoping this would work out.

Judy Blume didn't disappoint. We enjoyed reading this story and I didn't have to do any editing while reading. Each chapter was different, one story by the Great one (the older sister) then one by the Pain (the younger brother). There is the standard brother and sister love/hate relationship but there are also good moments when they both stand up for each other.

It reminded me of all the Judy Blume books I loved as a kid so
Erinn
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: First - Third
Recommended to Erinn by: Well known author
Shelves: chapter-books
This is a cute realistic fiction book written by Judy Blume. "The Great One," also known as Abigail, is a third grade student who thinks that she has an annoying brother. "The Pain," also known as Jake, is a first grader who thinks that he has a sister that is a mind reader. It is a cute tale about how siblings can understand as well as misunderstand each other.

I plan on reading this story aloud during my realistic fiction unit. During that time, I will discuss connections that can be made thro
Mehreen
I did not like this one as much as the other Pain & Great One stories. I still haven't read the original. I think the tooth story was cute although I wonder if maybe I wouldn't give my kid money if they lost the tooth. I thought the chasing boys story was pretty funny, very elementary school.

I like how Abigail sticks up for her brother even though the bully is even older than her and I remember the angst of wanting to change my name. It is a cute book, but I think Friend/Fiend which is the f
Jessica McIntyre
This is the third of a series about Jacob the pain and Abigail the great one. As the two go back and forth with telling short stories throughout the book, they realize that is isn’t always bad to have each other around. Sometimes it is even very helpful like when they are being called names, loosing teeth and other scary changes. Who knows, maybe they will actually get along. This would be helpful to many young students who are sometimes scared at school to show them that having a friend or sibl ...more
Liz
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I liked this chapter book a bit better than the Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One since it focused on stories about the kids in school. It dealt with a bully issue that might be a good segue way to bring up bullying with my kids. However, only my youngest is borderline in being too old for chapter books. The rest are way past chapter books and would feel as if they were adult enough to handle bullying.
Katie
Another good one for my little boys. My kids LOVED the chapter about a bully at school. It's important for them to read stories about everyday things they might deal with at school, to see how the characters react, etc. (Blake & Clark - July 2011)

*I just read this to Jane (5). She enjoyed it and we'll probably get the other ones in the series. I enjoy Judy Blume because she writes about real issues/things that kids deal with. And Jane likes these chapter books because there are still picture
April
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Listened to the audio version in the car over the weekend with my 10 yr old niece. We both thought it was a hoot especially since she is an older sister to a younger brother and could totally relate. I thought it was just as funny and charming as the Clementine stories, Moxy Maxwell, Ramona (though she is my #1 favorite), etc.
Maya Madhavan
Jake and Abigail are brother and sister. Jake lost three teeth and he has one that is really loose. Abigail is the Great One and Jake is the Pain. I liked it because it was funny. In one chapter Abigail changed her name to Violet Rose because she didn't feel like an Abigail. They have a cat named Fluzzy.
Robin Cocheu
Good book for grades 3-5. Narrated with differing points of view by Jacob (the Pain) a first grader and his 3rd grade sister, Abigal. Each chapter is a self contained story or adventure with something to be learned. This particular Judy Bloom novel deals with the siblings as they each navigate life at school. An entertaining read to self book.
Rachel
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this one with the kiddos. Q loved Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and he requested more Judy Blume. The kids really liked it -- little brother tells one chapter, big sister tells the next. Enough illustrations to keep younger children interested.
Jackie
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun, mapcap story of the Pain (Jake) and the Great One (Abigail). Even though they always seem to be at odds with one another, when it comes down to love and loyalty, Jake and Abigail are steadfast.
Pat
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brother-sister combo of the Pain/Great One are believeable and funny through these short stories. Kids can relate to the situations--lost tooth, bully trouble--and the loyalty of the siblings shines through. I think this is a winner, and it will attract reluctant readers.
Meredith Estes
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brooke-books
This series is such a great introduction to Judy Blume for a beginning reader. The relationship between the pain and the great one mirrors by relationship with my sibling. Teasing and irritation but also great love and he need to protect each other.
Stacie
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great continuation of the series. More lessons and joy for children. I loved the tooth story and splitting the money. What a clever Pain.
Aug 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main reason why I didn't like this book was because it was at a far lower reading level then I was at when I had to read it for school. I think younger kids would enjoy it, though.
Heather
How can you not win with Judy Blume? The antics of these two siblings are very endearing. Even though they frustrate each other to no end, they understand family loyalty. Darling.
Kelly Smith
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: henry
Henry likes the last chapter best. "funny fluzzy chapter. "
Elaina
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to remember these books because I've read them so long ago, but i still love Judy Blume!!! :)
  • The Potato Chip Puzzles (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #2)
  • Iron Thunder: The Battle Between the Monitor & the Merrimac
  • Mudville
  • Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up
  • Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes (Mercy Watson #6)
  • Horrible Harry Goes Cuckoo
  • The Magic Half
  • Eleven
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Rain or Shine
  • Is That A Sick Cat In Your Backpack?
  • Camille McPhee Fell Under the Bus ...
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Penelope Crumb (Penelope Crumb #1)
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more
More about Judy Blume...

The Pain and the Great One (5 books)
  • The Pain and the Great One