Start by marking “L'Assassin Anglais” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
L'Assassin Anglais

Michael Moorcock

L'Assassin Anglais (Jerry Cornelius #3)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The English Assassin: Third novel in the Jerry Cornelius Saga.
1981 pages
Published (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about L'Assassin Anglais, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'Assassin Anglais

Hein
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Possibly my favourite Moorcock that I've ever read. In many ways, it's hard to explain why. The Jerry Cornelius books are chaotic, disjointed, and very often don't appear to have much of a plot. But where they succeed -- when they succeed -- is in the incredible descriptions of times and places, the intimations of alternate histories (and apocalypses), and that even in all this confusion, you are compelled to learn and read more. The quality of Moorcock's writing is absolutely superb -- an autho ...more
Rick
Clearly Jerry Cornelius does not quite work for me. I'm not sure if it's cultural or temporal or conceptual or merely the execution of the narrative - this is the second volume that I just found tedious to work through. Mind you, I'm not bored with it. In many ways Moorcock is doing some really inventive work on deconstructing the traditional narrative workings of the English novel. It's interesting, it's just all a bit too exhausting to slog through. There are some wonderful sequences (the ball ...more
Simon Mcleish
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in October 1999.

The third novel in the Jerry Cornelius tetralogy explores the series themes of dissolution and anarchy in a rather different way from the earlier books. Here, protagonist and storyline fragment as well as the background.

The novel starts with the discovery of a dead body in Merlin's Cave, beneath Tintagel Castle in Cornwall. The body belongs to Cornelius, but he doesn't stay dead long. Each section of the novel sees Jerry initiating a different
Joe Stamber
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-1980s
I read a lot of MM books in the eighties and this was one of them. It's part of a quadrilogy, I believe it's called "The Cornelius Chronicles". Anyway, I can't remember any one of the four from the other, only that they were all barmy. At the time I must have enjoyed them, otherwise I wouldn't have read the whole series.
Brandon
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finished this a few weeks ago. Thought I'd have more to say about it if I let it sit for a little bit, but I think I have less. Couldn't even write a synopsis now. I don't think I could have wrote a synopsis immediately upon finishing it either though.
Jesse Russell
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Of the three parts of the Cornelius Quartet I've read this was my least favorite. It seemed to lack the direction of the first two and felt like I was spending most of the book waiting around for something to happen.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Hans
Sep 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Barely readable, way too experimental for me. A plot is pretty much a bare minimum requirement for my enjoyment.
Shannon Appelcline
I seem to have less patience with each of these than the one that came before. This one is almost entirely incoherent thanks to its lack of a plot and mostly grates as a result.
Dan
Mar 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
A relatively quick read. The episodes are disjointed, and while the characters and situations are well defined, there is little causal logic linking one scene to the next.
Keith Draws
Paul Cockshott
Feb 21, 2014
  • The Earth Lords
  • Coils
  • Proteus in the Underworld (Proteus, #3)
  • As on a Darkling Plain
  • The Beginning Place
  • The Jagged Orbit
  • The Flying Sorcerers
  • Black Gods Kiss
  • The False House (Evenmere #2)
  • The Divine Madness of Philip K. Dick
  • Electric Ladyland
  • Starburst
  • Man From P.I.G. And R.O.B.O.T. (Puffin Books)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock

Jerry Cornelius (7 books)
  • The Final Programme