Start by marking “Break Of Day” as Want to Read:
Break Of Day

Tony M. Palmer

Break Of Day

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Published (first published March 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Break Of Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Break Of Day

Samuel
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I gess it was ok I personally would have never read it but it was for school
Aedan McCarthy
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It was Fine
Kate
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I can’t reveal too much about the plot without spoiling it but I can say that I found the ‘coincidences’ unlikely. It’s okay to have one or two things miraculously happen but when everything falls into place, I think it jeopardizes the integrity of the historical context of the story.

Palmer’s writing style is simple and straightforward. Had I started this book a few chapters in, I suspect I would have enjoyed his style more – as it was, Palmer’s overuse of particular language at the beginning of
Hamish Matthewson
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I found the first few chapters quite boring, there for made it hard for me to get into, but i actually liked the last half of the book. It might have been because i read it more regularly.

It is set in two different places, Papua New Guinea and some where in NSW i think.

This book told the story of Murray's childhood up until he went to war to fight of the Japanese in Papua New Guinea.

I would like to read this book again to understand the first half of the book.
Abhay Venkitaraman
Hats off Tony Palmer. I love you have highlighted parts of the war other than the European Sector. While there was a long-lasting stalemate in Europe after the Blitz (until Normandy), there was a lot of action in the Asian sector. You have really highlighted the amount of sacrifice and courage that the soldiers on both sides had to have to survive.

I recommend this book for avid
historians/history enthusiasts who would like a nice, light read.
Timothy Tang
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: KGV Students
Recommended to Timothy by: Mr.Josh Armstrong (Australia)
Break of Day is an epic story of courage,set in two settings:the Kokoda Trail,Paupa New Guinea in WWII and 1930s Australia set in the Great Depression.We follow Murray the protaganist who doesn't have courage as we see him in two timlines. We are also introduced to other characters like Will,Ada,Murray's Mother,Uncle Jack and Sid.
Justin Hui
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explores the idea of courage. Murray, the main character, is introduced as a weak and cowardly person. Throughout the book, we witness Murray develop into a braver and more courageous character.
Katharine
I thought this was a great book filled with action and suspense. I would highly recommend it. It is about World War II and a young boy's story. The start of the book is a little bit confusing but as you gradually get towards the middle of the book it turns really exiting.
Connor Shannon
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Couldn't put it down!
Stacie Cresswell