Start by marking “Confessions: An Innocent Life in Communist China ” as Want to Read:
Confessions: An Innocent Life in Communist China

Confessions: An Innocent Life in Communist China

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Kang adalah seorang penulis yang melahirkan komentar-komentar sosial, analisis politik dan ilustrasi kehidupan sehari-hari di zaman Mao. Sebagai seorang pelajar (waktu itu), ketajaman pena Kang membawanya ke kamp kerja paksa. Namun justru di sinilah Kang bisa melahirkan buku yang pernah diberi predikat sebagai “the best account of daily life in communist China”

Kepiawaian K
300 pages
Published March 2009 by Elex Media Computindo (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions

Jul 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
is it wrong to appreciate a memoir for what one learns about a time and place? i can't say kang zhengghuo was a sympathetic narrator, but then, should i congratulate him for writing so honestly, however coldly, about a loveless marriage? as much as i value my identity and freedom of expression, he does strike me as an unusually selfish egotist. america is his homeland after all. but at least here we can challenge our detractors, so i can't blame his hatred of communism. perhaps i would come off ...more
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china
This is one of the longest, most detailed set of Chinese memoirs I've read thus far. Much of Kang Zhengguo's story mirrors that of other Chinese citizens who were labelled as landlords or reactionaries, only this book has more meat to it than some others that I've read. It took me much longer to finish than others have.

His family class and his desire to learn (particularly literature and foreign languages) made him a perpetual target for the Communist party. He spent time in labor camps doing jo
May 05, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
dibeli karena ingat sama buku Novel Tanpa Nama. Cerita kehidupan pribadi di tengah sebuah sistem sosial yang sangat komunal tentunya menarik. Sejauh mana ekspresi pribadi dapat diterima oleh negara/partai sebagai sesuatu yang sah dan tidak melulu sebuah subversif. Nyatanya kedua penulis buku ini sama-sama mengalami tekanan dan resistensi dari negara/partai. Toh mereka tak bisa dibungkam dan tetap bersuara. :D

Pemutakhiran 13 Mei 09*
Pengantarnya bicara tentang buku ini dalam bahasa aslinya (Mandar
This is another in-between-a-3-and-a-4. I really valued parts of the book--I was astounded at the author's experiences in China, especially during the Cultural Revolution. His voice is strong and unique and his experiences are incredible--it's hard to believe what a totalitarian government can do in a nation of over a billion people. A terrible travesty. So I'm glad we have this book, documentation of what happens when people decide they have the right to decide what others do, say, and even thi ...more
While I can understand this book's critical success, it just didn't light my fire.

Subject/author easy to identify with; multi-dimensional
Great historical era

Picking it up took effort

I can see the value...the therapeutic benefits to the author as well as insight into the individual and the culture for the detailing daily life. I appreciate that. But sometimes my own life is so bogged down with the mundane that I can't bear the thought of re-living anoth
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and fairly horrible account of life in China during the cultural revolution. Kang was constantly made to write self-critical and confessional essays, and witnessed ongoing public denouncings and lynchings of friends, neighbours, and family alike. Due to the crazy political climate, even his own family had to denounce him as a thought criminal. Basically the whole society devolved into a paranoid and violent shit show.
Although Kang's main "crime" was keeping personal diaries, for
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So fascinating. This is a true story of one man's life during the upheaval in China beginning in the middle of the 20th century. This guy was just not born to be a nameless face in the great red tide of communism. Some people are born individuals and can't, no matter how hard they try, subscribe to the follower mentality. The author is rather self-involved and it annoys me, but I realize that he is a product of his culture, and it didn't stop me from being glad I read his book.
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sociology and history lovers
Recommended to Laura by: Baltimore Sun
An great memoir and anthropoloy of Communist China under Mao and beyond. Kang experienced a way of life most people would find almost unbelieveable including: extreme poverty, mind control, corruption, coercive conformity, individual isolation, guilt by association, the constant fear of being imprisioned for the most mundane reasons, the list goes on... Should be mandatory read for all high school students. I will be reading it again.
A chilling memoir of Kang growing up in Maoist China, living through The Great Leap Forward and The Cultural Revolution. Kang spirals ever downwards through the class system for his non-conformist attitude. He is punished ever more heavily for every minor infraction deemed reactionary. The despair, helplessness and frustration is palpable through the pages. A very powerful read!
Nov 01, 2007 marked it as to-read-q-z  ·  review of another edition
I'm interested in reading this book not just to learn more about life during the Cultural Revolution in China, but also because this won an award from the Beijing University. So China thinks it's a pretty good book.
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not finished this book but I really am finding the book quite interesting. It definately fills me with a strong gratitude for the freedoms and liberties we enjoy in America. Although I am only half-way through the book I would definately recommend this book to others.
Lois Smith
Confessions is a true story of a young man who grew up in Communist China and was radically opposed to the Chinese Communist Party. However, his hardships and persecution were caused by his own poor choices. It became kind of frustrating that he never seemed to learn from his experiences.
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written, insightful memoir on growing up in Communist China.
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very interesting and shocking
It's quite interesting. It's a book you would want to read if you're into reading real life account of a peasant (a life not considered valuable to the society).
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An account of the experiences of a young man during the cultural revolution. Definitely a square peg in the round holes of China under Mao.
It's quite interesting. It's a book you would want to read if you're into reading real life account of a peasant (a life which was then and probably now, not considered valuable to the society).
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book, and it's an interesting look at what daily life under the communist regime was like.
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super engaging- couldn't put it down.
Jan 23, 2012 marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
A memoir of daily life in Communist China under Mao. I read the first 50 pages or so, but it didn't hold a candle to "Wild Swans," imho.
Jacob Hilliker
  • Andy Noya: Kisah Hidupku
  • The Man Who Stayed Behind
  • Village of Stone
  • Thread of the Silkworm
“Selalu ada cadangan untuk masa sulit dalam diri manusia yang dapat mereka peras keluar saat diperlukan. Seperti tetes terakhir pelembab di dalam gabus.” 2 likes
“Nenek moyang kami mengembangkan konsep tata cara makan, sebagai tanda khusus perilaku manusia beradab” 1 likes