Start by marking “I Love You, I Hate You, I'm Hungry: A Collection of Cartoons” as Want to Read:
I Love You, I Hate You, I'm Hungry: A Collection of Cartoons

I Love You, I Hate You, I'm Hungry: A Collection of Cartoons

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  14 reviews
• Distinctive humor from a well-known artist: Bruce Eric Kaplan is one of the most popular cartoonists at The New Yorker . Known for his observational sense of humor and distinctive design, Kaplan’s work plays on modern foibles, juxtaposing droll, slice-of-life dialogue with slightly surreal situations. .

• Just in time for Valentine’
Published January 12th 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You, I Hate You, I'm Hungry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You, I Hate You, I'm Hungry

Jaydin Faz
I gave this book a 3 out of 5 star rating because i felt that this book not a amazing book. The them of the book is that sometimes you need something or someone. Two examples of this is in his author's not and cartoons, The first example is when he is talking about the meaning of his book and he tells us what he means by I'm hungry, he tells us it is about attention or something we need emotionally or physically. The second example is in the cartoon when the lady is saying how she missed someone ...more
Scott
I Love You, I Hate You, I’m Hungry is a collection of cartoons from New Yorker cartoonist Bruce Eric Kaplan. Most of the cartoons involve relationships. There’s wordplay and absurdity, but mostly there are just simple line drawings stating those things we only think about.

These drawings, all single-paned, mostly with single-line “jokes,” remind me of popular sites like Postsecret, F*** My Life, My Life is Average, and of the Bunny Suicide books. They revel in saying the things we keep bottled in
DebiReads
This book is wry. There are some pages that did make me laugh audibly, but there were more that drew an "I hear that."

Both my husband and I enjoyed the book.

To be honest, it takes fewer than 10 minutes to read so it's a great way to pad my reading goal a bit.
Briana
A collection of cartoons...good for a chuckle.

The author's biography made me laugh out loud:
"Bruce Eric Kaplan is somewhere in Los Angeles having problems with whatever his reality is at this moment."

Lynn
I picked this up and thought it would be cute and funny but dear lord, no. Almost every page made me wanna cry. What was this?? Why do I like it???
Jeimy
It's a good collection with a handful of funny cartoons.
Ogreart Art
These single panel cartoons are edgy. There are several that I read and thought, "Well, I would never have said that out loud, but I have darn sure thought it before." Unsurprisingly sarcasm abounds in this collection. It was not the best collection I've ever read, but it was an amusing way to kill an hour or so.
Cody
Jun 09, 2010 Cody rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I've always wondered what it is that motivates us as humans. Now I know; love, hate, and hunger. Personally I think it's hunger 95% of the time and the other 5% is our need to poop.

Funny stuff!
psm
"new yorker" readers, if they're honest, will tell you the bek toon is the first thing they look for in the magazine. in the world of toons there is no one better. it's all in the dialogue.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Jackie says:

Light(in a dark humor kind of way) and funny and now filled with little post-it strips for some of the cartoons I've just got to photocopy and put up on the wall!
Jackie
Liz White
one of my favorite New Yorker cartoonists. Turns out he has a lot of cartoon books out, many if not most of which are at the Seattle Public Library. yay!
Bill Gordon
Brilliantly witty collection of cartoons. You'll recognize Kaplan's work if you glance at the New Yorker now and then.
Melinda
I love the last comic on the back of the book: We thought it was a rough patch, but it turned out to be our life.
Terry Rutherford
Terry Rutherford is currently reading it
May 02, 2015
Kirsti
Kirsti marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Kathy Weintz
Kathy Weintz marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Apr 02, 2015
Scott Muska
Scott Muska marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Anita
Anita added it
Jan 12, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bruce Eric Kaplan, known as BEK, is an American cartoonist whose single-panel cartoons frequently appear in The New Yorker. His cartoons are known for their signature simplistic style and often dark humor. Kaplan is also a screenwriter and has worked on Six Feet Under and on Seinfeld (funnily enough, one of his most well-known episodes is one where Elaine becomes increasingly frustrated over what ...more
More about Bruce Eric Kaplan...
Monsters Eat Whiny Children Edmund and Rosemary Go to Hell: A Story We All Really Need Now More Than Ever Meaniehead I Was a Child: A Memoir Cousin Irv from Mars