Start by marking “Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now” as Want to Read:

Eckhart Tolle is rapidly emerging as one of the world’s most inspiring spiritual teachers, sharing the enlightenment he himself experienced after a startling personal transformation. His views go beyond any particular religion, doctrine, or guru. This book extracts the essence from his teachings in The Power of Now, showing us how to free ourselves from “enslavement to the ...more
Published September 25th 2001 by New World Library (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Practicing the Power of Now, please sign up.
Jimmy Imd it has work really well for me. I read this book and felt it's msg and experienced the deep peace of NOW. However the mind was pretty much active and …moreit has work really well for me. I read this book and felt it's msg and experienced the deep peace of NOW. However the mind was pretty much active and had good amount of control over me when I am not consciously practicing. It's only until recently that that the troubles and problems seem to start engulfing me again and triggered me to look within myself for answers. and so I did a speak on the summary of what the mind is about in a public speaking club and joined an discussion group as well. through it, it dawn on me that I was judging everything and everyone the whole time. Or rather, it was my mind which I allowed myself to associate with. With that consciousness within me, I watched myself in almost every waking, catching my mind's activities and just disassociating from the passing thoughts. Through that, my emotional health has improved positively, my relationship with my wife, family members and friends have improved too. I freed myself from the burden of judgment. As a result I am able to accept more and love more. for that I am grateful. (less)

Start your review of Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now
Polina
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I never managed to complete reading the Power of Now although tried several times. This book was a god send, and even though it still suffers from what seems to be repetition of the same principle on every page, since it is a lot shorter I have read it in a day and feel like I have fully grasped everything that Eckhart was trying to convey in his main book. So if you, like me, find the Power Of Now a difficult read this book will definitely give you all the main ideas in a concise digestible for ...more
John
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Tolle has a way of giving meaning to life by using exercises, meditations and essential teachings (many based on Eastern philosophies) to bring peace, balance and harmony into our lives. The goal is to be able to bring about and sustain an enlightened state of consciousness in our immediate existence.

I'm particularly attracted to the Budhist, Hindu, and Taoist notion of "no-self", relinquishing the ego so that life's challenges do not impact you, rather you flow through and around them. In my o
Marj Osborne
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
This book contains many strategies to help us lead a richer, more satisfying life. In many ways it's the work journal or exercise of Tolle's previous work, however it contains many quotable lines which you want to come back to. Here are a couple:

"To be identified with your mind is to be trapped in time: the compulsion to live almost exclusively through memory and anticipation...the past gives you an identity and the future holds the promise of salvation, of fulfillment...Both are illusions." (p.
Tami
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Practicing the Power of Now is a handy companion to Eckhart’s wildly popular The Power of Now. Essentially, Practicing the Power of Now contains the same information as in the first book. However, I have to say that I prefer this format. The first book was written in a question answer format. These questions came from the author’s students. He also included amalgamated questions that covered a variety of common queries. These question and answer sessions gradually took the reader from common per ...more
Niels
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a gem. So much more easy going than the original. Ought to be read once a month or whenever you need peace of mind. You dont even have to read from one end to the other. The headings allow you to reflect on the areas of your life where you need inner peace. For once repetition actually benefits the reader instead of annoying you.... Highly highly recommended.
S'hi
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Although this is the companion workbook to The Power of Now, which was published in 1997, my familiarity with the material and many of the processes have enabled me to read through it all in a couple of hours. From this point of view I can agree with Tolle’s suggestion in the introduction that it is an Introduction to the grander version in his previous book. However, it is still quite a substantial volume for a beginning of awareness for anyone who has not had any prior experience of this kind ...more
Emma Sea
i don't know what to think, man. it's not that the basis of this isn't sound. Suffering comes from resistance; wishing that circumstances were other than they were, insisting that something 'shouldn't' be happening. Suffering comes from living in the past, or the future. But there are other books - a fuckton of other books - that can guide you through this. Tolle wouldn't be the first writer I'd suggest to someone interested in dealing with life challenges in a way that brings you peace.

Because
Mason Lawlor
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wish someone had told me that this was not new content from Eckhart Tolle, it is basically an abridged version of The Power of Now. So it's obviously very good, but not worth buying if you just barely finished The Power of Now and are looking for more.
Elyse  Walters
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I have read all his books ---(started listening and reading him before many knew who he was).

Master Spiritual leader
jecca
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
- rise above thought, give every moment the fullest attention with all senses
- step out of your mind, realize that time and mind are inseparable (focus on the now)
- acknowledge your emotions without judging them, accept suffering
- resistance is experienced as negativity
- surrender to life's flow, realize that cycles of low energy are vital for regeneration
- learn from nature -- "look at the lilies, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin," said jesus
- choice implies consciousness (the unconsci
Bill Braun
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
The three star rating for this book has little to do with its actual content and more a reflection that it turns out to be an unnecessary purchase. It lifts sections of "The Power of Now", often verbatim, and offers nothing new.

If it has some value it saves the reader from paging through "The Power of Now" to find the exercises.
Dawna
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: metaphysical
It took me quite awhile to finish this book. There was a great deal for me to digest. Even then, I believe this is one that I will have to periodically refer back to in the future.

"The mind identified state is severely dysfunctional. It is a form of insanity.

"Almost everyone is suffering from this illness in varying degrees. The moment you realize this, there can be no more resentment. How can you resent someone's illness. The only appropriate response is compassion."

This is a concept that stoo
Richard
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Eckhart Tolle published the Power of Now in 1997. Many inspired readers wrote him and requested a more practical version for daily study. In 2001, this small, but powerful version was released.

Having read most of his writings, I tend to go back to this one and A New Earth quite often.

Truly eye opening and life changing for me.
Beverly Temporal
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this a while ago but just read it again recently. I love reading calming or uplifting or centering things before bed. And this is one of my favorites.
Ahmad Mustafa
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very good summary and a hand book for the original book (The power of now).
You can reread it as much as you like,and every time the contemplation will be a different experience.
Mel
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I found this book easier to read than the first one (Power of Now) as it's not so intense. I have to secretly admit that this was a joy to read as it's very enlightening (please don't tell anyone, it'll ruin my reputation ;-p).. joking a side, it's very motivational and helps calm the nerves (or if you are anything like me with nervous energy and find it hard to chillax). It also helps you remember to appreciate the little things in life, like the brown autumn leaves that scatters on the ground, ...more
Lauren
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book for everyone to read. It provides the secret to peace. I dig Eckhart Tolle. I meant to choose just THE POWER OF NOW. That's what I meant to review here. I've never read PRACTICING THE POWER OF NOW, but since I'm such a Luddite, I don't know how to change my choice here so forgive my ignorance. Just surrender to the craziness of my now.
Fuschia
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Fuschia by: liz
A much more digestible version than the full Power of Now. I read that one years ago and it just didn't sink in as much. Now, after reading (and loving) A New Earth, this one was a great companion book.
James Q. Golden
Sep 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Better format but EXACT same book as The Power of Now
Latiffany
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I vowed to stay away from self help books, but I could not resist borrowing this slim book from a coworker. I feel like it can really change my mind-if I let it.

The sections that dealt with controlling your mind stood out especially since my mind kept wandering all over the place while trying to read this book. It made me realize just how difficult it is for me to focus. I have been practicing reeling my mind in since reading this book.

The portions on the Ego also made a to
Pamela
Jul 05, 2011 added it
A friend of mine is completely smitten with Tolle's book The Power of Now, and insisted that I read this smaller book while I was visiting him over the long weekend. Although I found a few things that resonated with me, most of that was of the "stop and smell the roses" type philosophy that I've believed for a long time. Most of the rest of it I found ridiculous - especially that people who act badly are under the influence of their "pain bodies" and therefore not responsible for their actions. ...more
Richard
Dec 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
absolute dross given to me by an idiot. should be used to line hamster cages at best
Joshua
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the most life changing books I've ever read. My thought process and actions have changed for the better thanks to some of the concepts of this book.
Jim Dennison
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been aware of Tolle for a few years - but had never really had the time or motivation to read his somewhat hefty books on the 'Power of Now'.

This condensed edition is much more accessible. Important because I'd say that to get maximum benefit you really need to read its content many times - to internalise it and 'brainwash' yourself.

It's message is to me fascinating. It's general ideas resonate with Eastern philosophies (and actually the Mexican Yacqui shaman ideas) but it is not couched in
Lynne Tull
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Every once in a while information comes to me just when I need it. Sometimes it is a single word from a stranger, sometimes, a friend. This time is was in the form of a book: The Power of Now . I have to admit that I didn’t understand many of the concepts presented. I have gotten from it what I need for “Now”.

Two things stand out as I think about what I want to tell you about me and The Power of Now.

One: When I say “I am so mad at myself”, who is the “I” and who is the “myself”? Mr. Tolle ident
R
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Before starting this book, I thought it was a follow up on The Power Of Now. However, it is not so. The author himself writes that this book is the gist of The Power Of Now; in case someone finds it too daunting to read, they could read this one.

My reason for 3 stars is not the content of the book, it is more for a misleading title. Even though it lists a few exercises on how to remain in the present moment, those exercises are few and far in between and most of the book is just a repetition of
Samira
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want to feel "this moment"
This book has proven to be one of the greatest Spritual books written in recent times.it contains a power that goes beyond words and definitely leads us to a quiet place beyond our thoughts.sometimes i didn;t get time to read enough of that and I just carried it around with meand I could feel its POWER affecting me even whern I was not reading it.Here are a few lines made some chemistry in me:
"The begening of Freedom is the realization that you are not "the thinker".The moment you start watching
MizzSandie
I'm not sure why I didn't like this book as much as the other Eckhart Tolle books I've read.
It might be because I read it in Danish and so felt a bit disconnected to his voice and the flow just wasn't the same, or it could also be that this book just wasn't as good of course.

Either way, this book summed up some of the main thoughts and served as a good little reminder. It was an enjoyable read, making me more aware and focused on some issues to work on or connect with more in my daily humdrum li
Dustin
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great book that compliments a Power of Now. If you're interested in growing spiritually and finding more happiness, I highly recommend anything by Eckhart Tolle. Much of his teachings are not new--the main ideas have been presented by countless of people through much of history. However, the way he presents it is fresh and easy to understand for people living a Western lifestyle. I highly recommend reading a New Earth first. Start on chapter 3.
Mark
Dec 26, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm still not enlightened, dammit!
Practicing the power of now 12 73 Jul 12, 2017 03:26PM

• Heal Your Body: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them
  • The Power of Intention: Learning to Co-create Your World Your Way
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • A Course in Miracles
  • You Can Heal Your Life
  • Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
  • The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
  • Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao
  • The Seat of the Soul
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life
  • The Art of Happiness
  • Hidden Messages in Water
  • What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
  • The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationship --Toltec Wisdom Book
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"
  • Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential
  • Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 3
Eckhart Tolle , born Ulrich Leonard Tolle, February 16, 1948, is a German-born writer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher. The New York Times has called him "the most popular spiritual author in the nation". He is the author of the bestsellers "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth".
Tolle had an unhappy childhood in Germany and Spain. His depression reached its peak during early adulthood in Engla

News & Interviews

“All problems are illusions of the mind.” 271 likes
“The moment that judgement stops through acceptance of what it is, you are free of the mind. You have made room for love, for joy, for peace.” 179 likes