Start by marking “Stones of Fire” as Want to Read:
Stones of Fire

Stones of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  530 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
800 years ago a Crusader in the Holy Land discovered a gold box. Under a veil of secrecy it was transported to England and hidden, the clues to its whereabouts embedded in 16 cryptic lines of verse. For centuries it has been rumoured the treasure was none other than the Ark of the Covenant. Now there's a need to find out the truth.
Published July 1st 2009 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Stones of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stones of Fire

Bridget
Dec 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edie has just witnessed a murder and a theft that could change the face of history. The item stolen was the breastplate that Moses wore to protect himself from the Ark of the Covenant. Edie has no idea who she can turn to. Unable to trust anyone but a historian named Caedmon, together they embark on a journey unlike anything they have experienced before. Running for their lives while playing detective searching for the truth, they find inner strength that will change them for the better.

This was
Suspense Magazine
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A combination of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” meets The “Da Vinci Code”. “Ark of Fire” has all the action of a great thriller and an insightful look into one of the most talked about religious artifacts known to mankind. The action starts right from the beginning and doesn’t stop until the dramatic ending. All the while, the reader is never sure how our heroes will make it through. A definite must read for the holiday season.

www.suspensemagazine.com
Amanda
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I definitely enjoyed this book though the character Edie did bother me at times (a bit whiny and a bit annoying). I rather did like the character Caedmon. There were some unrealistic points and some things that were just glossed over and could have used more description. Still, I look forward to seeing how the characters evolve as the ending led me to believe there will be a next installment.
Kristen
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-thriller, 2016
In C.M. Palov's Ark of Fire, the first installment in the Caedmon Aisquith thriller series, this esoteric thriller is packed with non-stop action in every turned page. It all started, when Edie Miller, a photographer for the national art museum witnessed the murder of her boss's death. From there, everything's been covered up and swept under the rug. On the run for her life, she contacted Caedmon Aisquith, an associate from her boss, who could help her solve the puzzle on the Ark of the Covenant ...more
Paul Skelding
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author keeps things moving along nicely in this archaeological thriller and she writes pretty good sex scenes without being too graphic. I'm going to read book 2.
Marsha  Carr
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Archeology, Spirituality and Suspense

Three of my favourite topics. This book contains all of that plus romance under siege. One of my new favorite Authors.
Anne
Good read
Josh
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans
I picked up this book because I was highly intrigued that it had been written by a woman. Generally, the thriller/action adventure/relic hunt has been the purview of men, clearly in evidence by the fact that the jacket cover has the author's initials instead of her full name. The publisher did not want to scare off male readers. I was highly curious to see how a woman author would do with this type of material. And I have to say C.M. Palov did a great job. There's plenty of action, mystery, thri ...more
Matt
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Initial impression: There is an Ark on the cover!!! Freakin' Sweet! I'm reading this book!

What I learned from this book: All American military men murder their families and hate everybody who is not a religious zealot. But wait! There's more! I also learned that Evangelical Christians are more passionate about the prophecies of Ezekiel then Jesus. Who knew? Not me!
This book has a likable main character named Caedmon Aisquith who is an ex-scholar turned MI-5 operative. After he loses the love
Vickie
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had the book on the shelf for the longest time and finally decided that I needed to read some more thrillers and suspense since Spa Week is coming up and I need a stack of thrillers and suspense to take to my dad and sister. I've been heavy into the cozies/amateur sleuth and paranormal and my fam isn't into those as much as I. I like having something to bring out. Reached into the back of the third drawer of chest of drawers one of Mt Git'r'Read and found ARK OF FIRE. And so very glad I w ...more
Marsha
When a photographer and a historian go on the run from some religious fanatics, it’s a race to stop the ultimate doomsday weapon from being unleashed in a holy temple.

This is a ripping, gripping, scary roller coaster ride of a thriller. It has everything the mystery lover could want: murder, conspiracy, stolen goods, beautiful women, stalwart men, cruel villains, gunplay, religious mania and an impending world war. The characters are more than the sum of their convictions; we get the background
Nikky Affolder-walker
Apparently the review I wrote from my phone didn't post.

The book wasn't terrible, but because of certain aspects I almost didn't finish it and probably wouldn't bother to read it again. It had suspense aplenty, but some of the characters were downright abhorrent. Granted there has to be a villain, and often they do not have many redeeming qualities, but the Warrior of God characters went a little over the top, especially in regards to Boyd Braxton, the right hand man of the main bad guy. One of
Anuca
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Con una ambientación sencilla, C. M. Pavlov no se anda por la ramas aportando florituras a una trama clara en la que lo importante es la acción. Y así, los personajes están bien aunque su abordaje y profundidad son los justos y necesarios para sostener "el meollo de la cuestión": la búsqueda del Arca de Alianza y la puesta en marcha de un plan maquiavélico al que nuestros chicos intentarán poner fin.

Sin duda es una novela entretenida que me ha recordado a cualquier película de aventuras propia
Paula Howard
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C.M. Palov has done wonderful research in writing Ark of Fire. Stanford MacFarlane is the head of a group called the Warriors of God. He is focus on the End of Time found in the Book of Ezekiel. Getting in his way is Caedmon, an academic and author, and Edie a photographer. Edit witness a murder ordered by MaacFarlane and Caedmon, who once worked with M16 in Britain get involved.

MacFarlane is intent on "doing the will of God" by searching for the Ark of the Covenant stolen from the Temple of So
Greg Dill
Sep 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was simply a lesson on the author's misplaced understanding of ancient Jewish history; along with her misplaced understanding of evangelical Christianity. First, she believes Moses was an Egyptian mystic who practiced divination and brought the practice over to the Hebrews when he helped lead them out of Egypt. Secondly, all evangelical Christians are crazy, militant, madmen with combat experience and are bent on killing many innocent people to retrieve Biblical relics from the past.

As
Robert
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so bad I am astounded how many good reviews it got. Completely awful. The Edie and Aisquith characters were absolutely nauseating to the point of forcing me to eject at chapter 33. There was so much endless back and forth drivel between the two with little historical substance it felt more like a soap opera with a thin cloak of history. Probably the worst book I have tried to finish in many years. Honestly I cant remember the last time I was so fed up with boring interaction to the ...more
Amy Vito
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book! It was described on the back book as "Part Dan Brown, part Indiana Jones, and part James Bond." Big fan of all three, I was excited to read the book. Being about the Ark of the Covenant, as you can deduce by the cover, Ark of Fire is extremely action packed and exciting. I had a very hard time putting it down. It was also fun to read about the relationship between Edie and Caedmon. The only reason I gave it 4 stars out of 5 was because of the long, sometimes ambling, historical l ...more
Stephen
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book will never attain the popularity of The Davinci Code, in many ways it is more interesting. Our heroes are not mere quislings pushed into action by circumstance, they actually have guts and knowledge and are able to mix it up with the bad guys rather than ducking and running every 8 minutes. The female lead has a brain as well as the willingness to fight even when she is outmatched in skill and size.

Oh yeah, there's this whole race for the Ark of the Covenant thing too that re
April
Mar 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
I was surprised to learn the author was female given some of the language used in the book. I realize that some of the main characters are military men. That does not excuse terrible language. I almost didn't continue reading past the first 100 pages because of the language.
The story has merit and was interesting. Once Boyd Braxton wasn't talking as much, the language improved and I could actually enjoy the plot line.
It was interesting to learn some of the history and conjecture that surround t
Theresa Hollis
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My copy is entitled 'Stones of Fire' published 2010 so I am guessing that the title was changed after first published in 2009

This is a story about the hunt for the Ark of the Covenant, if you liked The DaVinci Code you will like this. A brutal murder in Washington and the theft of an ancient relic - a sinister army of mercenaries after the Ark who want to wage war on a devastating scale, and two people determined to stop them. A great read.
Melissa
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebay
I liked the pairing of the main characters. I detested the minor characters (like I was supposed to.) Some plot details I could have done without. Some language I could have done without but I guess that is what comes with the characters. I liked the movement, it kept me reading. I have her other books in the series. I am more interested in the Knights Templar so I hope the other books have more reference to them than this one did.
Kat McKay
I just couldn't get through this because I found the main character so annoying that I didn't want to read any further. She had too much annoying "'tude". And the interest of the sophisticated worldly male character in her had my eyes rolling at it's unlikeliness.
The author is a good writer (structure-wise), but she needs to work on her characters more.
Judith
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to read books like this and not compare them to other characters like Indiana Jones and Robert Langdon...but I did enjoy Caedmon Aisquith. Edie seems a bit of a bubblehead at times but hey, there is only one Lara Croft. I did enjoy the fast pace, espionage and suspenseful moments in the story and will read the next book for sure.
Mony Armenchev
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it , i read it during a 22 hour trip by car from Bulgaria to Turkey , though for some reason the copy i have is called Stones of Fire , it did have historical inacuracies and some cringe worthy moments , but all in all it was an enjoyable book
Andrea Russo
Un buon romanzo sul piano dei contenuti, un libro pieno d'azione e di enigmi. Peccato che l'autrice si soffermi un po' troppo su dettagli inutili a volte, o su scene sdolcinate che vengono presto a noia.
Cherie
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is C.M. Palov's first novel and is an attempt to write a book similar to those of Dan Brown or James Rollins. In my opinion, she was not very successful. There are so many of these copycat stories out there; I wish I'd found a better one to read. Still I liked it enough to finish it.
Nell Wood
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the English version of this book, but only the Spanish version of it was on GoodReads. I really enjoyed it; I loved how Palov wrote in a way that made you feel the emotions of the characters. I thought it was a well written book, and I like Palov's voice.
Annette Gisby
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: conspiracy
Good fast paced thriller if you like the religious conspircay genre, which I do :) The main characters were well drawn but some of the baddies were a bit two-dimensional. I'd certainly read other books by this author.
Leslea
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love adventure books with a slight mystical lean and this one was great. Really loved the main characters and the action kept going at a fairly good clip. The good thing was, they didn't really solve the problem so there will be a sequel - yay!
Zrafeiro
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book very much. After finishing the this book. I read the second one in the series and enjoyed that one as well. Got all excited about the Templar Knights but found few books at the book store about it. Easy read but the girl does get annoying at times.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Ark of Fire 1 3 Jan 26, 2012 10:17AM
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Sacred Bones
  • Pyramid
  • Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1)
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)
  • The God Machine
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • Sphinx
  • The Pegasus Secret (Lang Reilly #1)
  • The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Last Ember
  • The Tenth Chamber
  • The Lost Army Of Cambyses (Yusuf Khalifa #1)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Nostradamus Prophecies (Antichrist Trilogy #1)
Librarian note:
Czech editions of C.M. Palov books are published as Chloe Palov
More about C.M. Palov...

Caedmon Aisquith (4 books)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Templar’s Quest (Caedmon Aisquith, #3)
  • The Templar's Secret (Caedmon Aisquith, #4)