Start by marking “The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty” as Want to Read:
The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty

The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This eminently practical book shows how ordinary people can help fight poverty around the world. Focusing on proven initiatives such as microfinance and employment-based solutions, the authors outline specific steps we can take in leading the charge against spiritual and physical poverty. Also includes photographs by award-winning photographer Jeremy Cowart (www.jeremycowa ...more
Published October 14th 2009 by Zondervan (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Poor Will Be Glad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poor Will Be Glad

Amanda
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is a great introduction to microfinance as a solution to poverty. The book does have a lot of information, but it's published and distributed by HOPE International (a microfinance organization) and the bias is obvious.
The authors talk about the hardships that come with poverty and poverty alleviation, and then microfinance is presented as THE solution, not just a solution.
Sentences like this made me uncomfortable, "Giving to [microfinance] projects and to the right organizations is th
Travis
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Poor Will be Glad is like a large cauldron filled with ingredients of the faith, compassion, and financial sense. The kingdom of God and in-depth business practices are seldom discussed in one book, but Peter Greer and Phil Smith deliver a relentless tag team attack chapter after chapter addressing: the plight of the poor, sustainable solutions to help the poor, and how we should go about accomplishing these solutions. The concepts and solutions Greer and Smith present to the church for mobi ...more
Matt A
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actionable, humane, and sincere. Not just an emotional call: "look at all these sad people who need your help"... not just a rational call: "there's so much YOU can do today"... not just a desperate missionary: "please come help, we're overwhelmed".

It's all three. And more. Open your heart when you open this book, and let your commission in Christ spurn you to empathy, to love, and to action.
Mark Oppenlander
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a nice, easy-to-read introduction to the world of microfinance. The authors are Christians so some of the focus is on the moral or religious reasons for participation in microfinance and also the blending of microfinance work with Christian evangelism. Most of the book however is a practical explanation of what microfinance is and how Christians (or others) can get involved.

I do have concerns around a few of the topics that the authors discuss, such as their seeming endorsement of t
Pamela
Dec 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very good book on Micro Finance. This is an area of helping women in Africa that I am very passionate about. I believe that if women are given a chance to own and operate their own business in the developing world, they will use their profits to better the lives of their children and their community. In countries where jobs are scarce micro loans to start or expand a business can lift a family out of poverty.

I have started a small online jewelry business and have dedicated the profits to micro
Jeannette
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good think this book didn't include "microfinance" in its title or subtitle, or I'd never have picked it up, being a combination of "ho-hum" and frustrated at misuse of wealth when it comes to finance. This book was excellent in explaining the basics of microfinance, some very workable variations (e.g. microinsurance for health or crops), and some best and worst practices. This opened my eyes to a whole new way of supporting my brothers and sisters in third-world countries. Great pictures ...more
Josh Smetzer
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
An in-depth look at micro-finance. This book covers a lot of information on the topic of micro-finance, and uses the last 100 pages or so to how we can get involved. I thought the authors did a good job in explaining what micro-finance can and cannot achieve. They also did a good job showing the connection between economic development and christian ministry. The first half of the book can be a little tedious, but is full of good information.
Cory Saint-Esprit
Aug 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Honestly, not my favorite book. I felt like it was all practice and not enough good solid stories. While I very much agree with the premise of micro-loans as a means to lift folks out of poverty around the world, this book disguised itself as an easy ready but was not. The authors repeat themselves a lot, while diving into details that do not need it and glossing over things that could use more explanation. Got 2/3 of the way through and returned it to the library.
Amy Farley
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to send this book to my dad for his missions committee but I keep thinking of different people who would like it that I haven't sent it yet. A thoughtful book on revising, or at least revisiting, the current model for missions giving as a way to empower those we are trying to help not create dependency. A call to listen more than just knee jerk give and to be involved long term with those we are helping. Very encouraging!
Victoria
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This is mainly an indepth understanding of microloans. Although I am totally for microloans, I wasn't expecting the book to be mainly about it. It wasn't bad though and definitely explained the importance of teaching business to the poverty stricken and trying to help them out of poverty with microloans too. We receive some Biblical description on top of it. I was very bored while reading it though, and am sad that I have to admit that. I had higher hopes for it.
Rachel
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: international
This book is filled with information and positive experience of micro finance. It does not get technical nor is it unbiased. There are more negative experiences than shown in this book; however, I do appreciate that it recognizes that micro finance is not perfect. Overall, I liked this book for the experiences of the authors and the good that has come from micro finance with Hope International. Not to mention the photos are beautiful.
Peter
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: helping-poor
A look at how our efforts to help the poor sometimes do more harm than good, and what techniques are actually helping. The book looks specifically at how micro-finance (lending, saving, and insurance) have helped the very poor, and what are the features that have caused micro finance to fail or succeed.
Beth
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer on Micro finance for the American church. I found it a bit dry and not particularly gripping to read. "When Helping Hurts" was far more readable, but not as specifically about MFIs.
Jess Martin
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Well-written explanation of the benefits of microfinance and savings and credit associations in the third world. Documents how we can unintentionally do harm when giving.
Chris Leland
This book should be read by anyone ministering in a third world country. Also by those going on short term mission trips.
Andrew Wolgemuth
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A good and interesting summary of the micro-finance movement and the evangelical Christian "flavor" of the movement in particular.
Michelle
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a really good overview of the ministry of microfinance. It outlines ideas, programs that are working, and some of the pitfalls.
Shellie G
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
I did not find this book to be as telling as his first book, A Billion Bootstaps.
Bill Cummings
Dec 27, 2009
Ron
Dec 18, 2012
Heather
Dec 05, 2012
Nate
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about micro-finance from reading this book.
Alyssa
  • Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care
  • Too Small to Ignore: Why Children Are the Next Big Thing
  • Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting
  • Passport through Darkness: A True Story of Danger and Second Chances
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • Compassion, Justice and the Christian Life: Rethinking Ministry to the Poor
  • Walking with the Poor: Principles and Practice of Transformational Development
  • Mission Possible: The Story of a Wycliffe Missionary
  • Lillian Trasher: The Greatest Wonder in Egypt
  • Good News About Injustice: A Witness of Courage in a Hurting World
  • The Narrow Road: Stories of Those Who Walk This Road Together
  • Following Jesus Through the Eye of the Needle: Living Fully, Loving Dangerously
  • There's a Sheep in My Bathtub
  • Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches
  • Things as They Are: Mission Work in Southern India

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99