Start by marking “The Essential Henri Nouwen” as Want to Read:
The Essential Henri Nouwen

The Essential Henri Nouwen

“We always have a choice to live the moment as a cause of resentment or as a cause for joy.”—Henri Nouwen (1932–1996)

The insights of Henri Nouwen have shown millions of people how to choose joy in any moment—even moments full of pain and brokenness.  Few spiritual writers have ever spoken so powerfully and directly to the heart as he did, in part because he compassionatel
Published December 1st 2009 by Shambhala (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Henri Nouwen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Henri Nouwen

Katy Whitney-noes
"Drinking the cup of life makes our own everything we are living. It is saying, "This is my life," but also, "I want this to be my life." Drinking the cup of life is fully appropriating and internalizing our own unique existence, with all its sorrows and joys."

"There is a temptation of pride [among social activists]. Everyone who wants to change society is in danger of putting himself above it and being more conscious of the weakness of others than of the weakness in his own soul. The reformer,
Jeff Bleijerveld
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another book to be read one day at a time.
Rachel Dawson
I just LOVE Nouwen. LOVE him. I picked up this little book a long time ago when I first heard of him and wanted an overview of his writings (I've since read quite a few of his books). It's broken up by topic, with quotes and excerpts pulled from all of his books, so it's a great place to start if you haven't read Nouwen or just want to read based on specific ideas or topics!
Christy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The timing of reading this book couldn't be more perfect. This is my first Nouwen read and won't be my last. So much good stuff in here I could have highlighted everything. Important read that both Jesus followers and non-Christians will appreciate. So. So. Good.
Kathleen Basi
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
A book to read slowly, to savor a page or two at a time. The insights he has to share are so powerful, you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to stop and meditate on them. Life-changing. Without a doubt.
Stacie Kelly-Sapper
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like his thinking. This book is a compilation of different bits of different books. I think I'd do better to read each book. It seems like it would flow a bit better. I know this is my personal reading style so it's not necessarily a fault of the book.
Zach
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
With very interesting details of Henry's life, this was a great sample of his work, it made me read many more titles!
Don
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
A very profound teacher with lots to offer in this book.
Frank Ogden
  • The Saving Life of Christ
  • Our Covenant God: Living in the Security of His Unfailing Love
  • Invitation to Love: The Way of Christian Contemplation
  • Scribbling in the Sand
  • Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions from the Writings of Brennan Manning
  • Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of Christian Spirituality
  • Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick
  • The Two Sides of Love
  • The Name
  • Seeds of Contemplation
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of