Start by marking “An Apple A Day (Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Work)” as Want to Read:
An Apple A Day (Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Work)

An Apple A Day (Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Work)

Does absence really make the heart grow fonder? Can beggars be choosers? Is it always better late than never? Proverbs are short, well-known, pithy sayings that offer advice or words of encouragement and are used in everyday English without much thought ever being given to their meanings, or indeed, usefulness. In An Apple A Day...Caroline Taggart explores the truth behind ...more
Published October 8th 2009 by Michael O'Mara (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about An Apple A Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Apple A Day

وليد فتحي
كتاب مفيد يقدم القصة الحقيقية وراء بعض الأمثال الشائعة في اللغة الإنجليزية
ربما يكون مفيداً أكثر لدارسي تلك اللغة. الترجمة لم تعجبني، لم ينجح المترجم في ترجمة المقابل العربي لعدد من الأمثلة، كما أن بعضها قديم وغير مستخدم
Zohour
الكتاب هذا اشتهرت صاحبته تاجارت بالمعرفة الدقيقه لاصول الاشياء
شخصياًوكمرجع اعتبره ممتع جداً
ABDULLAH
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب به من الحكم والأمثال القيمة الي قيلت في منذ القدم أو في وقتنا الحاضر، أغلبها واقعية لحد ما والآخر مجرد كلمات عابرة ، جميل جداً وأسلوب الكاتبة أعجبني ،دونت وأنتقدت وعارضت وأعجبت، ممتع حقاً .
Charlotte Stevenson
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Think I would have enjoyed this book if I had read it across a year (a proverb a day) but instead I read it over the period of a week which made it a little dry opposed to how wittily I believe it could be read. There were however some of my favourite proverbs explained with quite excellent quotes, which made me laugh out loud or question the entire nature of language - so I am definitely glad to have read it, if for no other reason than that my knowledge of proverbs has increased by the bucketf ...more
Al-batool
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جميل كمرجع ، احتوى على أشهر الأمثال وأكثرها تداولاً مع ان بعضها غير معروف و بعض الأمثال شوهتها الترجمة وبعضها الاخر جيد ، يقع ضمن ١٨٦ صفحة تقريباً
استفزني اُسلوب الكاتبة من بعض الأمثال وبعدها قررت ان اقراء لشكسبير !
2017
Release Date: March 3rd, 2011
Publisher: Reader's Digest
Page Count: 176
Source: Received from FSB Media for review

From Old Testament proverbs to modern phrases like "the best things in life are free," An Apple a Day takes a fun look at expressions that "have stood the test of time." Read through from start to finish or search through the list of hundreds of the most common proverbs, arranged from A to Z for easy reference. You'll learn about each proverb's su
David Caldwell
Jun 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
From the back of the book:"This unique collection of words to live by reveals the source of these timeworn expressions, which are as relevant today as they were when first coined geneartions ago." It also says it will provide "fun facts" behind the proverbs. This is why I bought the book because I thought it would be fun and informative. Unfortunately this did not prove to be the case.

There are several faults with the book and they all are basically the author's doing.
There are too many examples
Amy Jacobs
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I constantly find myself wondering about certain phrases and how they originated. I remember my Grandmother always telling me things like "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" or "The darkest hour is before the dawn" and I never really understood what some of them meant at times. In this book, we get to learn about the origin and the many meanings a phrase or proverb.

While I liked the book, and the read is not fairly long, it still had me wondering about a few of them. Yes, it tries to explain
Gmr
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all ages
Recommended to Gmr by: FSB Associates
Just what is a proverb exactly? Simply put (via the author), a proverb is…”a piece of wisdom or advice expressed in a short and memorable way”. In other words, those catchy little phrases and sayings you’ve heard time and time again. But really, that’s just the surface of this work.

As you delve deeper into this unusual reference guide, you find not only wisdom and wit but humor. Sprinkled here and there are doses of this "wonder drug" both in good taste and political punches, allowing readers th
Natalie
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this books in spurts, a couple of definitions every day, so that I could think about the proverbs in detail. I'm so glad I did! Taggart's writing style is incredibly humorous and rather sarcastic, which suits me down to the ground having a tendency to be rather sarcastic myself.

Each proverb is discussed in terms of origin and meaning and also if there are any variations on it. I loved the way Taggart intergrated the older and the more modern world into her book. It provided rea
Monica
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever stopped to think where Grandma got her little words of wisdom? An Apple A Day by Caroline Taggart answers that question. She points out many of the most common old fashioned proverbs and explains their origins.

The book is a quick read. But be aware, it really isn't for curling up with and getting lost in the story. The book is written as a references book, so it lacks the depth of a novel. I enjoy how Taggart sorts the proverbs alphabetically. It enables you to find the meaning of
Kevin
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
This is another fun addition to this series from Readers Digest. It happens to be more entertainment that reference material however. Sure, Taggart often gives insight and information into the sources and development of the proverbs, phrases and aphorisms listed but more often she offers her own commentary and witticisms. But nevertheless it is an interesting tour through some of the more famous proverbs and how we might use, understand and discuss them today. Wordsmiths and literature lovers wo ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
We all quote proverbs and thoughts freely, with little interest in why. While many proverbs are self-explanatory, others aren't. I often find my self saying things and wondering where that particular phrase came from and why I even know it. This little gem is the perfect book if you want to know or understand a particular proverb or phrase.

Like the other books in the Reader's Digest series, An Apple A Day is just a fun book to read. It's one that you can read in a sitting or just a chapter at a
Julie Cohen
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Meh. Very disappointed in this book- did not like the author's style at all. I found it grating and condescending, too often sinking into what I assumed were 'wry' jokes but fell flat for me. The stated premise was that the book would consider the relevance of these proverbs today, yet this goal was only achieved part of the time. Could have done with a much tighter edit. Hopefully the rest of the series is not quite so disappointing.
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

From my book review blog Rundpinne...."Caroline Taggart’s book An Apple A Day: Old Fashioned Proverbs-Timeless Words to Live By is an absolute delight and a treasure, filled with both common and not so common proverbs"...My full review may be read here.
Freda Mans-Labianca
I love books that teach me about the origins of words and everyday sayings. There is just something cool about knowing where our native tongue started, and what exactly they meant.
It's always a treat reading one of Caroline's books, as she puts the information together in a easy-to-read way, with some cute illustrations along the way.
I definitely recommend this series to all lovers of words and language!
Janice Crespo
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I was younger, one of the things I loved about seeing a Reader's Digest was glancing through and reading the bits and pieces of wisdom that were there. This is great - it's an entire collection of the old fashioned proverbs - I love it! If you want to have a book around the house, to teach, to uplift, to share - this is one that should be in your library!
Morninglight Mama
This was pure fun, with Taggart's sly jokes squeezed in between interesting nuggets about the common sayings that are a regular part of our everyday language. Well, some of them... some others were completely unknown to me, so that was just as interesting, albeit in a different way. I enjoy these little "trivia-like" books, and they make for fun conversation starters!
Slow Man
كتاب يحتوي على شرح مفصل للامثال الانجليزي
بشكل مبسط ومتناغم.

Dominic McConnon
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertaining. Very witty and informative. I must read more of these books in the future.
Shatha SH
Dec 24, 2018
Aysha
Feb 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Spilling the Beans on the Cat's Pajamas: Popular Expressions-What They Mean and How We Got Them
  • A Certain "je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
  • Opening Pandora's Box: Phrases We Borrowed from the Classics and the Stories Behind Them
  • Easy as Pi: The Countless Ways We Use Numbers Every Day
  • The Lazy Intellectual: Maximum Knowledge, Minimal Effort
  • More Show Me How: Everything We Couldn't Fit in the First Book Instructions for Life from the Everyday to the Exotic
  • The Intellectual Devotional Health: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Digest a Daily Dose of Wellness Wisdom
  • I Used to Know That: History
  • Warrior Women: 3000 Years of Courage and Heroism
  • Egypt
  • 501 Must-Read Books
  • How Do They Do That?
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Oz (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #20 Buffy Season 4)
  • Freshmen Volume 1
  • Nightwing: Brothers in Blood
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader The World's Gone Crazy
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
I was an editor for 30 years before Michael O’Mara Books asked me to write what became I Used to Know That. I think its success took everyone by surprise – it certainly did me – but it led to my writing a lot of other books and finally, after about three years, feeling able to tell people I was an author. It's a nice feeling.

Until recently the book I was most proud of was The Book of London Place