Start by marking “A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces” as Want to Read:
A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces

A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A hip, eco-friendly guide with fun and easy projects for all levels. Eating locally has so many benefits—for the planet, for your health, and for your tastebuds—and you can’t get much more local than your very own backyard. But is planting a garden too big a commitment? Then this book is for you. A Little Piece of Earth is all about starting small, with more than fifty sel ...more
Published February 16th 2010 by Universe (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Little Piece of Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Piece of Earth

Andi
May 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
When I initially picked this book up at the library and flipped through its pages, my first reaction was to put it back. It didn't look very informative and had a 'trendy' air.

However, you know what they say about judging a book by its cover, and since I know that cliche can be so annoyingly right, I put the book in my bag to check out figuring I had nothing to lose. I read it within a couple of hours, and even though at times I was rolling my eyes (apparently this author is a garden designer an
T.
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
The resources in the back are all online, which to me means not the best resources (a mix of books and websites are ideal - even if bad. Anyone can find resources online). I know there are some helpful books out there. The tone of the book was light and was oddly organized. Sometimes, an "aside" such as about Fig Tress was dropped me paragraph or section in the chapter. Good useful info for the novice, but I found this title lacking.
Kate Seader
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick fun read with lots of interesting ideas & plant recommendations, but not much content on how to do it.
E G
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Helpful for my meyer lemon tree upkeep. Also trying a (small) box garden this year.
jen
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
I was pleasantly surprised by this little book, which offers a range of ideas for small space food gardening. Having read or browsed many of the food gardening books that have come out in the past several years, I didn't expect to find much new, but instead I came away with a bunch of new ideas. The ideas are group by the type of space (such as indoors, balconies, rooftops), an organization that will appeal to anyone trying to plan out a gardening space. Gardeners of most skill levels will find ...more
Chronomorphosis
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I rented this book from the library. Good to read through, but definitely not a "must own" kind of book. It was easy to read and didn't expect you to have an in-depth gardening vocabulary, and it did have some really useful pointers (mostly the ones on community gardening and some of her online resources). The illustrations are cutesy and a little useless, (particularly the ones intended for identification purposes).
I found that a more descriptive addition to the title would have been "How to g
Rebecca Recco
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
This is a great how-to guide for anyone wanting to grow their own food without having a huge garden. I am lucky enough to have a yard big enough for a garden, but am a little hesitant to commit to one, so I picked up this book in hopes of maybe starting a container garden. This book did not disappoint. Not only does it give tips on containers, but it also gives advice on really cool edibles you can grow indoors (including trees!) It also has a neat plan for a kitchen garden, spa garden, garden f ...more
Tamara
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Charming. Very charming. Plays to all of my fantasies about living in the city and having a greenhouse at the same time. Inspiring.

If you're just trying to understand the logistics of how to fit a large garden in a small space, this book offers some terrific illustrations to help you visualize what is possible. Though definitely not the most organized book and by far not the only book you'll need when planning a garden, it's a start.

Wonder if I'll be brave enough to try growing a fig tree or a
Rachel
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Well - paged through it anyway - but what I saw was amazing. A lot of the books I already have address "small space" gardening as if you still have a tiny plot of earth. This one actually discusses container gardening, which is what I'll be doing. Fruits, herbs, vegetables, you name it, it's in there. I can't wait to get started.
Claire
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, own
This is a book that I initially picked up from the library and ended up really enjoying. I'll be honest there was some far-fetched ideas...but there were enough good ones that I am already using them, like growing citrus indoors, olive trees, espalier fruit trees, etc. This book isn't perfect, but it did it's job...it inspired me to add more edibles to our yard.
Westerville
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, adults
"Charming. Very charming. Plays to all of my fantasies about living in the city and having a greenhouse at the same time." - Tamara, Web Content Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Sara
I picked this book up in the hopes of finding some practical information for someone who lives in an attic apartment with only a few low windows, no balcony, and not much yard space. I didn't find it particularly helpful or all that interesting.
Shelly
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was horribly organized and not very helpful to me. I suppose maybe because I don't live in a city. If you are an experienced gardener looking to condense your garden, or to grow more "unusual" food in your garden, then I guess this book would be helpful to you.
Serity
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations, got some good recipes and a few good ideas from it, but it didn't really line up with my priorities for gardening. Probably bc I'm looking on a larger scale than what she's going for - this is more container gardening.
Imen Stitches
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Great ideas for small spaces. I am slightly inspired. WIshed it had photos instead of illustrations.
Angel
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Quick read. Includes funny and interesting anecdotes of the author's clients that make it more entertaining than most gardening guides.
thistle
I didn't choose this for Earth Day--accidental timing. Seems useful, if a bit apt to cater to the steampunk-interior-decoration demographic.
Roxy
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
It is a decent basic guide - although mostly for those in the US. Would have preferred photos to sketches.
Greg
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Some useful information, but very twee.
Jules
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun little book on growing gardens in apartments. Wish there was less of a focus on trees, but the anecdotes and little recipes are lovely.
Lilia
Nov 27, 2016
Sara
Oct 08, 2011
Shelleyb
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2012
Alisha
Jun 26, 2018
Kate
Jun 20, 2018
Allyson
Mar 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • Apartment Gardening: Plants, Projects, and Recipes for Growing Food in Your Urban Home
  • Western Garden Book of Edibles: The Complete A-Z Guide to Growing Your Own Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruits
  • Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens
  • Vertical Vegetables  Fruit: Creative Gardening Techniques for Growing Up in Small Spaces
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Designing the New Kitchen Garden: An American Potager Handbook
  • The New Terrarium: Creating Beautiful Displays for Plants and Nature
  • Waste-Free Kitchen Handbook: A Guide to Eating Well and Saving Money By Wasting Less Food
  • This Organic Life: Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader
  • McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers
  • Backyard Foraging: 65 Familiar Plants You Didn't Know You Could Eat
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden