Start by marking “Tsugumi” as Want to Read:
Tsugumi

Tsugumi

"Giornate di una felicità intensa non capitano spesso nella vita. Ed è inseguendo quel vivido miraggio, che le persone riescono a tirare avanti e a invecchiare... Tsugumi è un romanzo che parla di questo. Di un'estate di un gruppo di ragazzi che non tornerà mai più. Del mare e del primo amore..." Così Banana Yoshimoto parla del suo romanzo tutto dedicato all'adolescenza. U ...more
Paperback, Universale Economica 1294, 159 pages
Published November 3rd 1994 by Feltrinelli (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tsugumi, please sign up.
Diana L. In my opinion, Tsugumi is a good girl, her badness is only apparent , she is selfish because he has not had the opportunity to be otherwise. She…moreIn my opinion, Tsugumi is a good girl, her badness is only apparent , she is selfish because he has not had the opportunity to be otherwise. She appears without filters, she says what she thinks, few people do the same with her...(less)

Samadrita
The present encapsulates a series of moments which rarely coalesce to form a coherent motif or a recognizable image we can easily identify with only grief or euphoria or even dejection. Melancholia and felicity, hope and disappointment are often indissolubly mixed in this concoction. One cannot have one without the other. But on rare occasions clarity dawns on a fortunate few or those who are sentimental enough to look back at a time which has already merged with the void leaving only a pale sha ...more
Jr Bacdayan
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel, more than anything, wrenched my heart. I could feel its every beat as I glided through Banana Yoshimoto’s simple yet soothing prose. The breeze of a warm summer sea penetrated through the pages and I felt its warmth saunter over me like a comforting blanket. Even the cold of my room was eviscerated by the earnest glow of a young girl’s relentless spirit. This beautiful tale of two cousins is one of the few books that has truly resonated with my personal outlook. I was thoroughly take ...more
Lynne King

From the time she was born, Tsugumi was ridiculously frail, and she had a whole slew of physical ailments and defects. Her doctors announced that she would die young and her family began preparing for the worst. Of course everyone around her spoiled her like you wouldn’t believe.

I loved "Kitchen" by this author but I actually prefer this book. What it is, I've really tried to fathom it out, basically is that it comes down to the simplicity in the style of writing. Having said that, I've read
Ed Martin
I really wasn't impressed by this book. The ideas and themes covered sounded very interesting, and while Yoshimoto's descriptions of scenery are well-written, the characters seemed to lack depth, and didn't really encourage a feeling of sympathy. I've given the benefit of the doubt as the process of translation may subtract from the original. While the descriptions of scenery were well written, and Yoshimoto made some interesting and thought-provoking points, the characters spoilt the book for m ...more
Bach Tran Quang
Đây là một câu chuyện thật đẹp. Đẹp những buồn.

Vẫn là về mùa hè, một mùa hè sau cuối bỏ lại, tại một chốn xa xăm ven biển nhìn về phía núi xa, mọi thứ đều vây quanh Tugumi.

Cuốn sách này độc đáo khác thường của Banana Yoshimoto, nó lấp lánh và đẹp tuyệt đối. Kiểu như khi đọc, bạn sẽ rung lên vì cảm xúc tràn về, cho dù bạn đã trải qua hay chưa bao giờ bước qua một mùa hè như thế trong đời, bạn cũng đều rung cảm trước nó. Lối viết thanh thoát đầy nhạc tính, không còn u tối như những cuốn trước đây.
Vonia
Yoshimoto's elegiac writing would probably automatically receive the rating for average, regardless of anything else. her prose is so beautiful, transporting readers with its sheer elegance.

The tone of this book matches the location, the seaside village where the narrator, Maria Shirakawa, is spending one last summer. At the center of the novel is her friendship with one quite unlovable character, Tsugumi. Tsugumi is her cousin, whom treats everyone around her poorly; predictably those closest
Fran Sobrido
Es la segunda novela que leo de Banana Yoshimoto y, aunque ésta también me ha gustado, no he terminado de conectar con ella tanto como con "Kitchen".
En este caso la autora trata de plasmar en la obra el transcurso de la vida de un chica enferma en un pequeño pueblo costero de Japón. Chica de mal carácter que no para de poner en apuros a sus familiares debido a sus travesuras, las cuales no dejan de ser una de las pocas formas que este personaje tiene de hacerse notar o, más bien, de intentar sen
shanghao
I usually like Yoshimoto Banana's stories, but Tsugumi and Maria didn't offer any interesting angles or stories for me. The former was an egocentric special snowflake brat and the latter's a female Jared Kushner.

The evocation of an idyllic seaside town was cool but even that couldn't save the novel from Tsugumi. #byefelicia #byetsugumi
Aviones de papel
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5

Muy bonito, me encanta la forma de escribir de Banana Yoshimoto, es muy lírica sin resultar empalagosa o cargante, se nota que está trabajadísima, me fascina. La historia es muy melancólica y bucólica de estas que parece que no te esta contando nada, pero fluye de una forma muy liviana y entretenida, vamos que es maravilloso lo que hace esta autora, ahora tengo muchas más ganas de leer Kitchen, que por lo visto es su obra magna, espero hacerme con ella en breves.
Adrienne
Jul 01, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I can only hope for Yoshimotos's sake that A LOT was lost in the translation of this book. I'm just glad it was a short, quick read because I really, really hated it.

Where to start? First of all, I dislike Yoshimoto's general writing style. Word choice is poor (although I realize that could be due to the translation) and the dialogue is sooooo lame. It's like a middle school student wrote it.

Also, what is up with this: "I can't explain this very well. But just then, as the lucid rush of the rai
Pablo Donetch
La literatura japonesa cobtemporánea, lo poco de literatura japonesa que he leído, parece tener bastante en común con la Latinoamericana y, sobretodo, con la chilena. Se centran en historias sencillas y con pocos personajes. Pero, en mi opinión, hay diferencias radicales en cómo se entiende esa sencillez. En ninguno de japoneses que he leído, se ha traducido en una falta de profundidad o en la carencia de arcos evolutivos de los personajes, como si me da la impresión que pasa con la literatura a ...more
Rachel
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, reviews
Just finished this 186-page book, strangely enough it felt quite long, despite the number of pages being quite short. Spoilers ahead.

Goodbye Tsugumi is described as 'An elegiac story of two young cousins coming of age at the Japanese seaside', 'an enchanting novel from one of Japan's finest writers. Marie has grown up at the seaside alongside her cousin Tsugumi, a lifelong invalid, charismatic, spoiled and occasionally cruel. Now Maria is moving to Tokyo to go to university, and Tsugumi invites
Nafiza
You may have noticed the presence of a new page on my blog: “Translated YA.” I am making a conscious effort to read translated works of YA lit because I feel that not enough attention is granted to an immense body of work out there. I am deeply interested in the glimpses of societies and cultures given through these works. I am also curious about gender and narrative constructions in works by authors who are not North American.

Goodbye Tsugumi is a gentle book. It’s like a calm seashore. It has t
Ellen
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm glad I read this, coincidentally, as summer was ending and turning into autumn, as the whole book seems to be about the finite nature of summer. Endings, time. I love the way Yoshimoto describes situations you could never articulate yourself. I think she is a master of plucking vague feelings and atmospheres and weaving them into narratives so the reader has that moment of empathy or nostalgia with the characters.

This book is really calming to read. The setting is insular and the characters
Lisa
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, favorites
first read, 2010: What I liked so much about this book was the mood it set. I loved the characters and the way Yoshimoto tells the story in a simple way. A really beautiful novel. I'm glad I own this one because I will definitely want to read this again.
Charmaine
This was a slow but pleasant read, with a few meaningful moments dotted along the way. I guess you could say nothing much happens for most of the book, but that's an accurate enough portrayal of real life. Sometimes it's magical, but mostly we're just going through the motions.

Maria's a very real protagonist who feels very real emotions, and so it's incredibly easy to want her to succeed and be happy. Tsugumi on the other hand just felt very...forced. Perhaps it was the translation, but her pers
Carol Mola
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Lo mejor de Banana no son sus historias, son las sensaciones que te produce al leerla. Con Tsugumi he sentido mucha paz. Un pequeño tedio extrañamente agradable. Es bello. Es tranquilo. Y no deja de ser una historia un tanto absurda. Pero me gusta. Cada vez me gusta más Banana. Y eso que esta novela no tiene mucho que ver con el eje central sobre el que gira el 90% de su obra.
Mercè
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian
Leer a Yoshimoto es un placer. Tengo la sensación de estar reviviendo recuerdos de hace mucho tiempo. De esos cotidianos que no tienen importancia pero que tienen mucho valor. Esa nostalgia tan bien llevada está presente todo el rato. Y como no podía ser de otro modo hay muchas referencias, de todo tipo, pero sobretodo a la muerte.
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Haunting and melancholy, Goodbye Tsugumi is a coming-of-age tale set against the vivid backdrop of the Japanese seaside.

“It’s a marvellous thing, the ocean. For some reason when two people sit together looking out at it, they stop caring whether they talk or stay silent.”

The first person narrative is told through the eyes of Maria, an only child whose father is currently married to a woman who is not her mother, a situation which necessitates their living by the seaside with relatives while he
Lilirose
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Come dice l'autrice nel postscriptum, Tsugumi parla "di un'intensa estate di un gruppo di ragazzi che non tornerà mai più".
Questa descrizione apparentemente banale racchiude in realtà l'essenza del romanzo, imbevuto di nostalgia e sempre in equilibrio tra gioia e malinconia; i protagonisti sono consapevoli che quelli saranno gli ultimi momenti insieme prima che tutto cambi e cercano di vivere ogni esperienza al massimo, sovrapponendo i ricordi alla realtà.
C'è molta poesia nel libro, non solo nel
Nafees Ahmed
The novel is passable. There are hints of great storytelling which is often muddled by poor characterization. It recounts a summer vacation of Maria and Tsugumi, and their adventure, without probing deep into what motivated their actions. Tries to cram a lot of things in a breezy read that doesn't do justice to a quirky character like Tsugumi.
Nate Yielding
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Banana Yoshimoto is the 3rd or 4th Japanese author I have read, and I'm noticing a trend. It's hard to describe butI'll try anyway. All of the characters I read about in these Japanese novels seem to be so clear headed, so honest in expressing their feelings, and so calm. It has the calming effect. It makes me wonder if this isn't just some coincidence in writing style but perhaps the Japanese people are just like that. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed Goodbye Tsugumi. Banana Yoshimoto ca ...more
Omar Manjouneh
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
عن "تسوجومي" التي عندما تغضب تحيطها هالة بيضاء تشوبها الزُرقة، كما النجوم التي تتألق في توهجها تمامًا قبل أن تنفجر.

أول تجربة قراية لبانانا يوشيموتو وما أظنش هتكون الأخيرة أبدًا، يوميات "ماريا" في آخر صيف رجعت تقضيه في قريتها الساحلية مع بنت خالتها وصديقة عمرها "تسوجومي" قبل ما الفندق اللي عاشت معاها فيه معظم حياتها يتهد .. تفاصيل الشخصيات حية بطريقة مذهلة وبانانا بتختار إنها تعرفنا عليهم وهما متحاوطين دايمًا بهالة من الطيبة الشديدة من غير سذاجة ولا مبالغة قبتلاقي نفسك ما بتملكش أي اختيار غير إنك
Isa-janis
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2016
Esta ha sido de las novelas de Yoshimoto que más me han gustado. Cargada de una melancolía preciosa y llena de imágenes en las que el mar es protagonista, Yoshimoto logra una de sus obras más íntimas y maravillosas.
Vé
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book - ever since I picked it up, years ago, it's been my go-to, feel-good novel. The story is simple, yet calming, and the characters are enough to hold the story on their own. It feels like a warm lazy summer evening, or like a cool, rainy daydream. Either way, the few hours it takes to read it are always wonderful. Soothing.

It's not fancy litterature - I wouldn't use it as a teaching tool, or even as an exemple of a 'good' book. I think it's one of these novels that either touch y
Christian
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Banana Yoshimoto story… and I mean that positively ;) It's a story about a summer vacation on an island, back in the protagonist's home town. There she spends time with Tsugumi, her friend with a particular character. True to her style, it's also a story about goodbyes, one which doesn't feel heavy at all though.

I especially liked how Banana uses smells and weather descriptions. A few simple words are enough to guide our imagination and create the scenery. It really makes me wish for sum
Ahsan
I did not think it would be possible for Yoshimoto to write a better book than Kitchen.
Alice
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Un libro che mi è piaciuto moltissimo
La prima volta he mi approcciavo con la Yoshimoto
Ora non vedo l'ora di leggere qualcos'altro di suo
Psicologorroico
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maria ha vissuto la sua adolescenza con la madre in un paesino di mare, mentre il padre veniva a trovarla solo nei weekend. In seguito si trasferisce a Tokyo, vivendo finalmente a casa con mamma e papà.

Maria ci racconta la sua ultima estate in questo paese, dei suoi amici, della vita tranquilla che viveva là. La componente che mi ha intrigato di più è proprio l'atmosfera di mare, che percepisco assolutamente verosimile (e tocca delle mie corde nel profondo).
Così, quel paesino di mare in cui er
Laia Pérez G
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ressenya completa ací: http://www.luckybuke.com/2017/11/tsug...
Una lectura agradable, increïblement nostàlgica, bonica i tranquil·la. M'ha recordat molt a les novel·les juvenils que llegia en un altre temps sobre amors d'estiu, amistat i conflictes familiars, però amb un pessiguet més de profunditat. No és un novel·lón, és una història curta per gaudir plàcidament, mentre rememorem una època passada d'estius ociosos.
#supporttranslate...: Information Group Read September 2017 1 3 May 16, 2017 07:48AM
Japanese Literature: TUGUMI, by Banana Yoshimoto 3 36 Mar 22, 2016 09:47AM
  • Vibrator
  • Shipwrecks
  • Naomi
  • Be With You 今会いにゆきます
Banana Yoshimoto (よしもと ばなな or 吉本 ばなな) is the pen name of Mahoko Yoshimoto (吉本 真秀子), a Japanese contemporary writer. She writes her name in hiragana. (See also 吉本芭娜娜 (Chinese).)

Along with having a famous father, poet Takaaki Yoshimoto, Banana's sister, Haruno Yoiko, is a well-known cartoonist in Japan. Growing up in a liberal family, she learned the value of independence from a young age.

She gradua
“No matter where you are, you're always a bit on your own, always an outsider.” 283 likes
“Love is the kind of thing that's already happening by the time you notice it, that's how it works, and no matter how old you get, that doesn't change. Except that you can break it up into two entirely distinct types -- love where there's an end in sight and love where there isn't.” 257 likes