Start by marking “Bang Ditto” as Want to Read:
Bang Ditto

Bang Ditto

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  222 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
We'd all love to stop eating
the poisonous parts of our wildness.

Ever wondered what it's like to be a celebrated Hollywood actor from the age of eleven? With insightful, no BS, cards-on-the-table poetry that is quite serious yet has fun with metaphor, imagery, and language itself, author Amber Tamblyn gives readers a backstage pass to the show inside her mind. Whether she's
Published September 1st 2009 by Manic D Press, Inc. (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bang Ditto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bang Ditto

Leanna
Jan 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Heh, heh, I admit I read this because I used to be a big fan of Amber Tamblyn when she was on General Hospital. I've followed her career since then and I think she is a very talented actress. My sister bought me her book and got it signed, hee! I'm guessing Amber wrote the poems in the book in her early to mid-twenties. Many of the poems have a distinctly adolescent feel (not in a good way--too many vague, hysterical abstractions; also, a lot of unexplored metaphors). However, there are some gen ...more
Lauren
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2009
The second work of poetry for author/actress Amber Tamblyn. I enjoyed the second book so much, and more than the previous. A few years of age can make a big difference in voice and experience and it’s rejuvenating to hear such powerful words coming from someone my age.

There were many amazing works – you can see some examples here – and I wish I had copied some of the lines down before returning the book to the library. This will definitely be one to add to my own collection and I hope to see mor
Melody
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
As a collection, not all that but it had its moments. The poem that that made me buy this book was "Dear Demographic", I still think it is the best poem in this book.

Some favorite lines:

"Katherine Hepburn Straight to DVD"
'I rise above myself.
There I was, there I am, there I'll be.'

"Learning to Trust Legs"
'Go ahead. Ask me why I took the offer
to play a hooker when I knew that you
always loved me more. Ask me.'

"The Eve of a Presidency"
'Someday our deaths will make all the tomorrows
stop to look over
Shay Caroline
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
A friend introduced me to Amber Tamblyn's poetry and I was struck by the little bit that I read and so I bought this book. I wish could say that I liked it as much as I expected to. Tamblyn--daughter of actor Russ Tamblyn and an actress in her own right--truly does have a talent with words. Nothing tired or ordinary ever makes its way into her poetry. Someone who can craft lines like "a vegan blacking out in a glass of milk", "My friends lie to me like a government" and (to a watermelon seed) "I ...more
Abby
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-lit-2012
Amber Tamblyn does an interesting job of describing what the life of a young actress is like through her poetry. She has been writing poetry since the age of 11, and most of her poems are directed at young adult women. There are some great metaphors, similes, and humor used in a few of her poems that I think is fun to share:

An Excerpt from "Poriferan"

"Our love was small, like airplane bathrooms
and really only good for one thing: relieving ourselves"

A quote from "Bang Ditto"

"Dear North star and V
Satu
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Bang Ditto is almost a direct sequel to Amber Tamblyn's first collection of poems, Free Stallion, in which she tackles the issue of becoming a young woman. when in Bang Ditto she writes what it's like to be a young woman, especially in Hollywood. Amber paints with words forcefully, like she's not afraid to let the trails of her brush show. Her work is raw and powerful, it doesn't hide rage or pain, it shoves them in the readers face, but almost in a gently manner. Amber is a master of metaphors ...more
Tiff
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites, poetry
Bang Ditto is Amber Tamblyn's sophmore effort, I can see considerable growth since her first book, Free Stallion. Tamblyn is part of a group of young poets trying to make poetry accessible and relevant to teens and young adults. Although some topics of the poems are very specific to life lived as an actress, the majority are fluid, strong statements about the lives, emotions, and experiences of our generation. Sometimes, hilarious, sometimes sentimental, often wry, Tamblyn's words paint a pictur ...more
Richard Gartee
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amber Tamlyn’s Free Stallion came out when she was 21. Many of its poems were probably written when she was much younger than that and their perspective was often from the experiences of an adolescent woman in the adult world. Sure she had the advantages of being mentored by Beat poets like Michael McClure and Jack Hirschman, but even in that first book she showed she was a poet in her own right.
Now comes Bang Ditto four years later, and by then she’s twenty-five. She has matured and her writing
Chelsea
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I take a lot of inspiration from this book of poems and Amber Tamblyn's way of playing with words and metaphors. I love her imagination. This book has a lot to do with her career in the media and in Hollywood, but she talks about her experiences in a different view than expected, with dry humour and very clever metaphors.
This collection is also aimed towards young and middle aged women, as Tamblyn has a few specific messages for them, like in "Dear Demographic"; and because of the poems concerin
Lynette
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Amber Tamblyn is a very talented poet. I would have rated this volume higher if I could say I liked it. Her images, play with words, the vocabulary, and different styles of poetry all show her to be more than competent in the genre. Tamblyn even shows flashes of brilliance. The problem for me is the negativity, the gutter language, the dreary outlook that she puts on display, with lots of pride. I suppose that much of what she writes about is authentic to her, but it also rings melodramatic and ...more
Becca
May 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
I think I genuinely liked a total of 3 poems in this book. Mostly, though, I read it just to find some of the most ridiculous lines and read them aloud to the bf.
I really wanted to like this, honestly. But I felt like I was reading a book by someone who wanted to be edgy by using "dirty" words just to cause a stir or get a reaction.
Reading these poems made me feel embarrassed for Tambyln more than anything. I don't think that's the reaction she was going for.
Stephanie
Dec 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own

There is no doubt that Amber is very talented. I'm not a huge poetry fan, but i am a fan of Amber so I got the book. Sometimes, poems are just to confusing. While some of Amber's poems were to confusing or didnt make sense, I did really enjoy a few of them and could relate to them. And some were funny.

Some of my favorites include, Dear Demographic, Earthquakes, Subtitles on Children, My Face, Trust Haiku, and Roadkill.
Deanna
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I had been waiting for this book to come out since I read her first book of poetry and fell in love with it. I got this book at her Book release party in NYC. I got to listen to her recite her poems and even sing with her mom onstage. She is an excellent writer and this book exceeded my expectations. She is also a warm person and appreciates her fans.
RainbowWriter
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: actress-poet
Dark prose-like poetry written with wit and intelligence and complex, abstract language. Amber Tamblyn is a very deep and skillful writer spoken word legend Bob Holman as her mentor and Questlove of The Roots as one of her friends. Reading this book takes a lot time and patience if you truly want to absorb into meanings of her deep and complex metaphors.
Kathy
Oct 09, 2009 rated it liked it
I suspect I would have liked this collection of poetry more as a teenager. I hope Amber makes an audio collection of her poetry, listening to her read her work on her book tour helped bring humor into the bitterness.
Krissy
Jun 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
this is one of the worst books i have ever read. i picked it up at the bookstore one day out of curiosity and kept reading it just to see if the whole thing could possibly be as bad as it is. awful, awful poetry. yuck.
Rebekah
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
bammin' slammin' amazing
Gypsie Holley
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
So far, I like the gritty, rawness of this style and her take on life. It's not pretty poetry by any means.

Karol
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amber's second book of poems are cut deep. Her writing moves on so many levels. Quirky powerful meaty vulnerability.
Katie
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love it, and maybe teen girls and would-be starlets will.
Anna
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this collection of poems. Some were hard to relate to, but my favorites are:

-How my Papa Saved Christmas
-At the Natural History Museum
-Watermelon Seed
-Crossing the World
Destroydecay
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
After discovering she wrote poetry, I discovered she is a poetry goddess.
Alyssa
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Raw, feisty and gorgeous.
Sara
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I wanted to be more impressed with this book.
Sydney Smith
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Saw her read in October, and I am quite sure that she is one of my heroes. Her reading voice is fantastic, and her poetry is hilarious and insightful. All the stars.
Rainey
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Not my favorite of her works. Feels too disjointed and slapdash.
Jess
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
you should read it.
Juliette
This book of poetry by actress/director Amber Tamblyn is interesting. She wrote it in her early 20s, so the topics are very close to a twentysomething life: lovers, travel, drinking, newly experienced sexism, bodies, beauty standards, family, Joy Division, and hearbreak. I especially liked the poems "My Face", "In My Best Anne Sexton Accent", and "If You're Going Through Hell". I do think this was a little slow to get through and a few poems could have been left out, as I grew a bit unmoved by t ...more
Solita
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad. Poems feel more clever than, well, brilliant. A Hollywood youngster. I read this out of curiosity, because I read somewhere that she is "an acclaimed poet." I don't know. I think privilege goes a long way. Not bad, but...
Carroll
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-i-read
Bang Ditto by Amber Tamblyn
A collection of poetry written by the young actress, Bang Ditto holds a special appeal to those in their teens who feel that older authors ‘just don’t get it’ and have nothing to say to them. I especially like the poem “Tweet” on page 66. Within the parameters of the social networking, Tamblyn writes a poem that criticizes people who solely use that form of communication.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Gurlesque: The New Grrly, Grotesque, Burlesque Poetics
  • On Subbing: The First Four Years
  • Short Stories
  • Talking In The Dark : A Poetry Memoir
Amber Rose Tamblyn is an American actor, film director, and author.

Tamblyn was born and raised in Venice, California and is a 3rd generation Californian. She has been a writer and actress since the age of 9.

Tamblyn has been nominated for an Emmy, Golden Globe and Independent Spirit Award for her work in television and film. In 2007, she won the Locarno Film Festival award for Best Actress for he
“Sip Someone else's logic then spit it out” 10 likes