Start by marking “Church People: The Lutherans of Lake Wobegon” as Want to Read:
Church People: The Lutherans of Lake Wobegon

Church People: The Lutherans of Lake Wobegon

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Skits, songs, stories, and more from A Prairie Home Companion reveal the secret world of a stalwart people.

When you fly Lutheran Air, there’s no first class, meals are potluck with assignments by rows (rows 1-6, bring rolls; rows, 7-15, salad), all fares are by freewill offering, and the plane doesn’t land until the budget is met.

Welcome to the Land of Lutherans, where pe
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published September 2nd 2009 by HighBridge Company (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Church People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church People

Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: essays, audiobook
I bought this audiobook to introduce my husband to audiobooks because he's a Garrison Keillor fan. (He grew up in Minnesota.)

I, however, did not grow up in Minnesota. I'm not a fan of Garrison Keillor either.

There were a few laugh out loud moments but the accents hurt my ears. My favorite essay was the potato salad one.

I'll be selling this to Half Price Books.
Barbara
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
I love Garrison Keillor. I prefer to listen to his books rather than read them as he is a great story teller. I love his "down home" philosophy and identify with his stories as I am a midwesterner and Lutheran to boot. I think he portrays the people of this region faithfully and
spot on.
Kathy McC
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
It was ok- not as much laughter as I expected.
Jim
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I checked a few of these out of the library because I'd never found the time to listen to Keillor before. This one wasn't worth it.
Mayda
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music, humor, audio
For a lighthearted look at religious life as well as other topics, look no further than this edition of Prairie Home Companion. Garrison Keillor treats us to song and story as he explains “Lutheranism” including such topics as the Lutheran Tour vacations (you don’t want to enjoy them too much) to what makes a potato salad “Lutheran.” Filled with good humor, this entertaining collection should not be missed. You don’t need to be Lutheran to appreciate this compilation of humorous songs and skits.
Kay Carman
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Keillor's audio books are the standard fare for Hal and I when we travel. We had 250 miles to cover yesterday and we got some laughs and some eye rolls out of these silly stories. I find it kind of creepy to connect Keillor's voice and persona to his stories that contain sexual innuendo, but I love the self-deprecating humor of the Norwegian Minnesotans and their accent. And I realized that Sarah Palin totally talks like a Minnesotan!
Kathie
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty humorous audiobook that left me feeling nostalgic for the time that I spent in North Dakota. The accents and sayings are just awesome! The last few skits were kind of weak, but the first CD was great. "One thing about Lutherans is boy can they dance. Oh that's for sure....You know, for Norwegians the polka is a form of martial art is what it is."
Joy
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it
I listened to this on CD, so it was like listening to 'Prairie Home Companion.' The segments of the book were taken from the show. There was even some music. Church people are a lot alike -- in Minnesota,
Texas, and Florida. It's always fun to hear Keillor's warm, but honest, perspective.
Ellie
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Garrison Keillor at his best. I am so booking a vacation with the Lutheran Travel Agency.
Darcy
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun!
Bonnie
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Garrison's stories.
Ratforce
Keillor’s voice has been entertaining audiences for decades. This new collection of humorous essays was nominated for the Audie Award in 2010
Jessica
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, pastoral
This was rather enjoyable and my first experience with Prairie Home Companion. It's also quite short with makes it a fun road trip listen.
Paul
Michael
Mar 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
2014
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker.
More about Garrison Keillor...