Start by marking “Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America (Technology, Education--Connections) (Technology, Education - Connections (The TEC Series))” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  170 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology How can we keep children safe in an uncertain world, but also raise them to be confident in taking the healthy, emotional risks necessary to succeed in life? The authors of this unique booktwo clinical psychologists, who are also mothersprovide essential guidance for parents and teachers. They explain, step-by-step, how to help ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Teachers' College Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology

Erino
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
The authors' vision for education in light of technology was interesting and pragmatic, but research on teachers was lacking and sweeping generalizations were often made. I'd like to read a book about how teachers can be tapped to aid politicians, educational leaders and families in creating this new vision for education.
Tony Trung
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Carolyn
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America, by Allan Collins and Richard Halverson presents a clear look at the way technological advances have changed education in America and are continuing to challenge that same system. The book is free of jargon or complicated discourse. Instead, it presents a logical argument of why we should rethink our public school system. The experience of Collins and Halverson as professors in the history of education ...more
Lisa
Nov 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm trying to get this review out in a coherent and logical manner, but my mind is messed up because I just finished reading it.

Okay, so. I wasn't that impressed with this book. One of the major problems with technology books (especially as they pertain to education) is that they're outdated the minute they're published. It's really only a problem if the book insists on being specific on the kinds of technology. This one isn't as egregious as another I read last year, but I cringed quite a bit w
Sarah Hanawald
Feb 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
I wish I found more in this book that was new, because I really wanted to. I found it to be a more intellectual approach to the topics introduced in Disrupting Class. To that end, the authors write in a much more scholarly (and much less accessible) way.

I'm mostly going to focus in this review on what I liked best. Towards the end, the authors discuss what might be lost when technology permits an education system more like that also described in Disrupting Class. The things they worry might be
Kenneth
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Really nice job of setting up the fundamental idea that each major earth shattering invention redefines what education looks like. Hypothesis is that computers/Internet are such a huge game changer that the current education system is on its deathbed. Nice logical conclusion, no idea if it's true yet.

Couple of frustrations. I get really tired of people who say, like these guys, "teachers are too old and set in their ways, they don't have a chance." It's totally not true. I know a bunch of great
Corrie Campbell
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Collins & Halverson step back and take broad view of where education has come from before then moving forward and prognosticating on the future of education "in the age of technology." I think they wisely have chapters early on called "The Technology Enthusiasts' Argument" and "The Technology Skeptics' Argument" to sort of level the playing field for biases and assumptions before moving forward and describing the benefits and pitfalls that technology will possibly bring to the field of educa ...more
Katie
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book provides a clear overview of how technology is affecting education at the present, and uses historical precedent to predict how it may influence education in the future. It identifies both the potential and the pitfalls of technology for learning, and suggests ways that we might capitalize on the former and avoid the latter. It's an excellent book to contextualize the present state of edtech for newcomers to the field.
Steve
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I respected their even handed approach to laying out both sides and the middle ground. I did not agree with everything, but was surprised at how much I did agree with. I will probably blog on a few key points.
Sue
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I had to read this book as part of my graduate course. It certainly made me think about how and why we should be utilizing technology in our classrooms. The authors new vision for the future of our educational system is interesting to think about.
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-learning
Not a bad little read. Let about tech and more about the history of education and educational reform movement. Contradictions to how technology can help and the limitations of CMC, but this was also published in 2010 which gets dated as more technology emerges. I would recommend!
Michelle
interesting ideas, I don't agree with many of the solutions that are presented, but the problem is real and I appreciate the discussion and effort to find solutions. It would be interesting to see what the authors think now 7 years later.
Lyddie
May 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
The author made a few good points, and tried to be balanced about the good and bad of educational technology, but by the end his ideas for improvements in education did not address practical concerns sufficiently and were unpersuasive.
Wendy
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it
doesn't give a lot of specifics, but it is a nice review of the philosophical history of education in america -- how it's changed over the years and how it will change in the future. some definite food for thought here.
Matt
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: island-books, edtech
An essential resource for thinking about and discussing technology in education. The authors provide a thorough history of what has come regarding schooling and how it is not a good fit with our knowledge society. This book is not outdated; the concepts and critiques are just as relevant today.
Jill
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very thought provoking - inspired to be in the "Knowledge Revolution" - after seeing how the world changed after the "Industrial Revolution"
Budd Turner
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another book showing current education fixated on the standard testing empire, overlooking orientation of digital natives that have evolved beyond that assembly line production paradym.
Angela Brewington
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
The authors propose some radical ideas for the way technology could mold education in the future. It will be interesting to see if they are correct in their predictions or not.
Michael
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owend-physical
A simple book. Required reading. Nothing to blow me away.
Robin Stansel
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
This book made me glad that our family is unschooling. It introduced concepts of "just in time" learning, customization, and "scaffolding" to me.
Warren
  • The World Is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education
  • Rewired: Understanding the iGeneration and the Way They Learn
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • The Future of Learning Institutions in a Digital Age (The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Reports on Digital Media and
 Learning)
  • 21st Century Skills: Rethinking How Students Learn
  • Fires in the Mind: What Kids Can Tell Us about Motivation and Mastery
  • A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change
  • Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns
  • Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms
  • Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • Classroom Habitudes: Teaching Learning Habits and Attitudes in 21st Century Learning
  • Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action
  • Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning With New Media
  • The Global Achievement Gap: Why Our Kids Don't Have the Skills They Need for College, Careers, and Citizenship—and What We Can Do About It
  • Making Learning Whole: How Seven Principles of Teaching Can Transform Education
  • Education Nation: Six Leading Edges of Innovation in Our Schools