Start by marking “Living Life as a Thank You: The Transformative Power of Daily Gratitude” as Want to Read:
Living Life as a Thank You: The Transformative Power of Daily Gratitude

Living Life as a Thank You: The Transformative Power of Daily Gratitude

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Whatever is given -- even a difficult and challenging moment -- is a gift. Living as if each day is a thank-you can help transform fear into courage, anger into forgiveness, isolation into belonging, and another's pain into healing. Saying thank-you every day inspires feelings of love, compassion, and hope. These ideas are the basis for this timely book. Authors Nina Lesow ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Viva Editions (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Living Life as a Thank You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Life as a Thank You

Natalie
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It is motivational and ideal for anyone who is interested in practicing graditude. It is made up of personal gratitude stories of different people. Each chapter focuses on practicing gratitude in various situations. Examples include: "gratitude as a spiritual practice", "staying thankful in difficult times", "the power of gratitude to make a difference in the world", etc... Most of the stories end with a gratitude practice that the reader can incorporate into their own life. I ...more
Cindy
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is divided into sections on how to live a life of gratitude - in all areas (work, home) during good times and bad, during illness and loss. Being grateful for what you have in life brings an attitude of abundance even when things are dark.

I liked the idea of a gratitude dream board - giving thanks for the things that you want to come into your life.

A quote I liked:

"They can conquer who believe they can."
Margie
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully uplifting. Interesting perspectives on different ways to think about/approach gratitude. It is truly not that difficult to live our lives with gratitude each and every day. We all need to be reminded to be as quick with gratitude and thank-yous as we tend to be with criticism.
Sarah Geno
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
very good to pick up and read a bit at a time on days when I'm feeling stressed. Everyone should read this book and take in to consideration some of its practices.
Jo
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book on learning how to really feel gratitude daily. Feeling grateful always brings more blessings.
Lots of great website links also.

I am so grateful I read this book!
Elevate Difference
Dec 13, 2009 rated it liked it
The most wonderful part about the idea of practicing daily gratitude is that any person can do it. Unlike many concepts, like faith or prayer, which tend to be examined via certain religions or spiritualities, thankfulness is pretty universal. Living Life as a Thank You illustrates extensively how incorporating gratitude into one's life can draw enormous benefits for everyone.

This book serves up ten chapters full of stories about how learning to be grateful has changed people from all walks of l
Tana
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this little book. I was hovering around the self-help section of the library, and zeroed in on the "gratitude" call number, and picked out this one and one or two others. I think this is the only one I actually finished. It was just easy to read, had some wonderful quotes and nice anecdotes in it, and it got me to start a gratitude journal, which I'd intended to do for a while but never got around to. I'm not sure that there was anything overwhelmingly fantastic about it, but I ...more
Traci
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I happened upon this book at the bookstore, and I am delighted to have found it. What I liked so much about this book was the designation of chapters complete with stories and examples of how people came to find and extend compassion and gratitude in their lives and others. At the conclusion of each chapter, there are specific ideas and suggestions (websites and organizations) presented to actively engage in daily gratitude. Lovely in it's simplicity; lovely in that many things begin simply and ...more
Nikki
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: friends
Enjoyed this book. Liked the personal stories and also the practical ideas at the end of each story and chapter on how to be more mindful of being grateful on a daily basis. The majority of the suggestions are simple and don't require a lot of time or effort. Will definitely try to incorporate some into my life!
Kristi
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help-ish
Currently enjoying this easy to read book about gratitude and making it a part of my daily life....
Anita Dix-McLaughlin
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good book, reminding us all to be thankful for what we have. There is an old expression that says "Thank you makes room for more."
Laurie
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Gratitude has tremendous power and grace in our lives. It is something I want to remember to express.
Megan
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very short inspiring stories to help remind you to count your blessings and be thankful every day. It was hard to stop reading, but I think best read a chapter a day.
Brittany
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of my new year's resolutions . . .
Debra
Nov 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Lovely book with lots of reminders.
Celia
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So enjoyed! Very uplifting :-)
Susan
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent book to read to learn about Gratitude. Thanks for what you have, and thanks for what you are going through.
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Living Life as a Thank You is the kind of book whose advice is simple but profound. The lesson of gratitude is repeated and expounded upon in various ways, from everyday acts to deeper issues. As I read this book, I was reminded that being grateful is not just something to "do" but rather a way of life. In short chapters, the authors reflect on their theme and highlight people all over who've been changed and touched by being open, thoughtful and sincere. There were moments where the text was a ...more
Sarah Lee
This overall is a good book, but I marked it down a star because I found myself getting bored of other peoples stories. If this is what you are looking for and like to read about other people then this book is right for you. There was some great info on gratitude, but I had to sift through the peoples stories to find the stuff I really wanted which was various ways for ME to practice gratitude. There are lots of great ideas in here if you take the time to read through everything.
Christine
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Filled with short stories about individuals who have learned to "live life as a thank you". Details the hardships that they've been through - and how these hardships actually made them MORE grateful than they ever were before they had these experiences.

When so much seems to be going wrong, we begin to notice and appreciate the little things that are going right. We took these little things for granted before, but now realizing how important they are to us, we feel more thankful than ever.
Monica
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: career-coaching
Easy read with wonderfully profound stories about gratitude along with practical exercises. As someone who started reading this genre of self-help book at the recommendation of my career coach, these books originally struck me as just kind of silly and unnecessary. What I've learned (thankfully!), is that we all need a reminder now and then about the power of gratitude in our daily lives. Anyone looking for that little push should read on.
Melissa
Nov 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
i thought this book would have more actual ideas on how to help one develop an attitude of gratitude but it was mostly just full of stories of how people came to appreciate something or someone in their lives. it was positive and uplifting but wasn't what i was looking for.
Anita Zinn
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read 2009

This book makes me smile and feel full of the best things in life - just by choosing to be grateful!

Quote: "Once you clear away what is choking your life, there is room for the gift - a promise of the new."
Liane
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Like living on an island .....
Sue
November 2010 Jacqui
Jenny
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-finished
I couldn't finish this one either. The stories just didn't resonant with me. I liked the quotes throughout the book and some of the gratitude practices seemed doable though.
Alexis
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Reminder

It's a joy to learn of people in positively negative circumstances refuse to let it rule their word. Let grace and gratitude rule your life.
Amanda
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
While I like the concept of this book, it took me about six months to get 2/3s of the way through it. I finally gave up.
Diana Huerta
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just what I needed to read for this point in my life.
  • Grace Happens Here: You Are Standing Where Grace is Happening
  • Attitudes of Gratitude: How to Give and Receive Joy Every Day of Your Life
  • Now Is the Time: 170 Ways to Seize the Moment
  • Marling Hall
  • Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!
  • One: How Many People Does It Take to Make a Difference?
  • Wealth: Is It Worth It?
  • Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies
  • The Path of Practice: A Woman's Book of Ayurvedic Healing
  • The Mayfair Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #8)
  • Corgiville Fair
  • Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance
  • Except for Me and Thee
  • Top Performance: How to Develop Excellence in Yourself and Others
  • How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
  • 1,033 Reasons to Smile
  • The Path: Creating Your Mission Statement for Work and for Life
  • Dinner at Antoine's
“Gratitude is the intention to count your blessings every day, every minute, while avoiding, whenever possible, the belief that you need or deserve different circumstances.” 1 likes
“When a person doesn’t have gratitude, something is missing in his or her humanity. A person can almost be defined by his or her attitude toward gratitude.” 0 likes