Start by marking “Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)

Vigilante

(Vigilante #1)

Montreal . . . the long, hot summer of 1996. . .

. . . and in the dark of night, moving like a shadowy wraith, a vigilante prowls the city's streets.

The targets of his bloody rampage: the worst of the worst.

Murderers. Gangbangers. Rapists.

Six months. Sixteen murders. The harried police are still without a clue . . .

. . . until the day they receive an email from the assassin
Published April 22nd 2009 by Claude Bouchard (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vigilante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vigilante

Peter Carroll
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Three things made me read this book.

1. The author has a massive following on Twitter and blogs about Indie writing, handing out advice and tips.

2. The reviews are mostly gushing and fullsome in their praise.

3. It was available as a free download.

I have to admit to being ever so slightly disappointed. It's essentially a good story, well structured, with a few clever twists and touches, and he does a good job of juggling the possibilities and suspects. Unfortunately, I guessed the ending about hal
James Davis
Sep 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad-truly-awful, bad
Rarely have I read a novel so pitifully awful as Vigilante. If I were to write a detailed review of what Claude Bouchard got wrong, it would end up longer than the book itself. Instead, I'll stick with a few basic points.

1. The lead detective is pathetically inept, yet portrayed as a superstar. Now, this *can* actually work if you're making a more personal story focusing on character flaws, but the character portrayals in the book are delivered in such a shallow, "tell, don't show" style that it
Cari Foulk
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
You'd think, with years of editing fiction and reading countless queries and manuscripts, that I would be an expert at knowing who-done-it. Claude Bouchard has proven me wrong. I had NO idea what the outcome of this mind-bending mystery would be until the big reveal at the end of the novel. Not a clue!
Brilliantly executed, sharp and concise writing, Vigilante is a stellar example of what a crime / mystery / thriller should be. Perfect.
A must read.
Sharon Michael
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author but will not be my last, in fact I've already downloaded the next in this series. Maybe not 'quite' amazing but definitely my kind of book.

Fast pace, interesting characters and the author handled the vigilante theme very well, with enough of a twist to keep you involved. While I started to suspect the identity of the killer late in the book it certainly wasn't obvious and the entire plot was fast paced, with the actual killings handled with a relatively ligh
Dale
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this out of order but I don't think it matters. I read the second book before this a while back. These are pretty good and I'll continue the series. I have the third one on my bookshelf.

Who is the Vigilante? He's a Robin Hood of sorts killing people that have committed crimes and murders themselves. He is just doing the legal system a favor. He is an expert at hiding himself and all the traces of his activity from the police. Can he be caught? Read and find out.
Kathleen Patel
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Vigilante was my first step into the inspired world of Claude Bouchard. This spellbinding story kept me guessing until the very end.

A serial killer is busy with a variety of “projects”. You see, this serial killer is on a mission. He wants to rid Montreal of the vermin that keeps good people up at night. He exterminates a variety of criminals. They are the lowlifes that we love to hate; pimps, rapists, drug dealers- you get the idea.

Here is where conflict steps in. While most people feel that t
Dorothy
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Claude is a fantastic guy, first of all. He's so sweet and nice... Vigilante is a great crime thriller. I highly recommend it.
Dave Wickenden
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!
Fast paced murder/mystery set in Montreal, Canada. This book has everything. The story deals with Detective Dave McCall who is being tormented by a vigilante that has targeted criminals in the city. The issue is that the vigilante is not your average serial killer. This person is smart and leaves nothing behind that can track him down.
The hunt causes McCall to suspect everyone around him as the stakes are raised. When the vigilante begins contacting both the police and the press with
Jody
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from a contest on simonjenner.com and I really enjoyed it. I like vigilante justice. I like Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood and the idea that the law has failed us in respect to really putting away the guilty and so an ordinary man faces great obstacles and gets the justice he deserves. In Vigilante, the vigilante goes even further than exacting revenge for himself. He takes it upon himself to get revenge for those who have suffered at the hands of criminals. The ...more
BJ
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ku, reviewed
KU loan: A super smart tech genius, Chris Barry, and an honest cop, Dave McCall, work together to find a supposed vigilante killer. 16 bodies later, all who have committed heinous crimes; will they solve the case? SHOULD they solve it? Plenty of, I mean, PLENTY of twists and turns you won’t suspect coming. Several possible suspects. Very well written, great characters, plausible story, heart-beating action!
Simon Jenner
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A serial killer is on the loose in Montreal but his sights are only set on criminals. But this is more than just a vigilante thriller - it is a cleverly woven mystery with plenty of red herrings thrown in along the way to torment the reader. We are pointed towards one suspect but doubts creep in as the story progresses. Although I had my suspicions as to the vigilante's identity, I wasn’t 100% sure who it was until the last sentence. As soon as I realised that the identity of the vigilante was a ...more
Gracey Castro
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone that loves a fast paced, thrilling read
Recommended to Gracey by: Twitter buzz
When I first started this book I was amazed at how each page pulled me in more. Great start, intriguing middle and a shocking ending. What more can you ask of a great book.

Vigilante makes you side with him, relate and cheer him on. All of the characters come to life to make this story the grand thrill it is.

The Vigilante is a good mannered killer who just wants to clean up the streets without the red tape. McCall is the cop hot on his tail. Power, crime and justice never seemed so fascinating.

Th
Darlene Purcell
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I personally found the IDEA of a Vigilante STOPPING a crime before the victim is abused, punishing the criminal in a way that they will NEVER hurt anyone again, FASCINATING!

Cold Blooded Killer or Knight in Shining Armor? I thought the identity of the killer was obvious from the start, was surprised when I began to doubt who it was. Again and again I revised my ideas and finally just gave in and read the story allowing it unfold in its own way.

Claude Bouchard has woven a complex theme with very r
Sheri
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vigilante (Claude Bouchard)

Set in Montreal Lieutenant Dave McCall, the head of the special task force is on a mission to find a killer. This killer calls himself the "Vigilante" and he kills those who he feels deserved to die. He targets murderers, rapists, the meanest killers around.

He teams up with Chris Barry who runs a security firm in computer communications. He is an expert in the computer field. Together they try to stay a step ahead of this killer and try to bring him down before he stri
Richard Louden
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read 'The Consultant', the second in Claude Bouchard's Vigilante series, a couple of months ago and gave it five stars at the time. I'm giving its predecessor, 'Vigilante', five stars too for exactly the same reasons. It's fast-paced, inventive, full of twists and turns, keeps you guessing and defies you to put it down. It also has the virtue of confronting the reader with a big moral dilemma. How do you feel about a killer who, on one hand, rids society of evil criminals but, on the other, do ...more
Carly Kirk
Not too bad

If I could, I would have given this 3 1/2 stars. It wasn't the best and it wasn't the worst crime/mystery I've read. The author tried for a twist ending, but something about the number of red herrings and the way they were written led me to figure out who the Vigilante was - and I'm not the type that usually even tries to figure that out.

I own the next two books in the series, so I'm going to read them and hope the author's writing grows a little more mature.
Miranda  McHenry
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think I have a new favorite serial killer! I can't really say much about him without spoiling the story. It will simply suck you in and you won't be able to put it down until you finish!

Claude has an amazing way to tell his stories and I can't wait to read more of his work!
Joe Foley
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story with interesting twists. There were too many scene changes, one only a paragraph long, that made the story sometimes hard to follow. Action was done well but sometimes very violent. Dialog was done very well.
Overall, I would reccomend the book to others.
Kim Cano
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this book on a free promo. Not usually into reading this genre, but I couldn't put it down and found myself loving the lines the vigilante killer would say before offing his victims. Now I'm on book 2 in the series, The Consultant.
Glynis Smy
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was hooked from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am happy to recommend it as a good read.
Betsy
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2015-aug
2.5
Susannah Morgan
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bouchard keeps you guessing until the last page! Vigilante has a nicely twisted plot line and believeable characters...a very good read!
Cristyn West
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just read the first 29 pages. Impressed. Very Impressed :-)

Just finished it. My opinion has not changed #impressed
Grace
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A thriller for sure. Watch out for the language...
C.J. Wright
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great start to the Vigilante series, a crime novel with a number of twists that will keep you guessing until the last page. If you like James Patterson, you'll love Claude Bouchard.
David Bowers
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great addition to his series of mysteries. All true mystery fans should 'discover' Claude before Hollywood does. "The book is always better!"
DolphinBlue
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
POSSIBLE SPOILER:

LOVED the surprise ending! The book was written in a tight (everything related to the plot), somewhat matter-of-fact style, which is not a criticism, just a comment. The reader really becomes invested in the outcome as the story progresses, and just when you think you have it figured out, BOOM, you find out you were wrong. I do want to go back and check to see whether the author cheated. The apparent solution was so obvious and spoon-fed, it will be interesting to see if the sto
Pam
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This has a brilliant story-line, Unfortunately it has so many characters in it that i kept forgetting who was who, and that's not so easy to solve when reading with a Kindle, (no page numbers) but as the story started to come together, and the mystery of who did the crime, the finish was great.
Matt
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It was OK. I was kind of getting bored of it, and the character development wasn't great, but decided to try and finish it and towards the end it really sucked me in and surprised me. Not motivated to continue the series at this time ...
  • K.A.R.M.A
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • Sound of Blood
  • All for One
  • Pushed Too Far (Val Ryker #1)
  • The Bet
  • The Necro Device
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • Silver Justice
  • Red Run
  • The Devil's Deep (Devil's Deep, #1)
  • Jim Knighthorse Series: All Three Books
  • The Prophet Motive
  • Three Days to Die (Aaron Quinn #1)
  • A Rush to Violence
  • Ascension Day
  • A Man Overboard
  • Corpus Christi (The Legacy Chronicles, #1)
*USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR*

I was born in Montreal, Canada, at a very young age, where I still live with my spouse, Joanne, under the watchful eye of Krystalle and Midnight, two black females of the feline persuasion. In a former life, I completed my studies at McGill University and worked in various management capacities for a handful of firms for countless years. From there, considering my ext

Vigilante (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • Mind Games (Vigilante, #3)
  • The Homeless Killer (Vigilante, #4)
  • 6 Hours 42 Minutes (Vigilante, #5)
  • Discreet Activities (Vigilante, #6)
  • Femme Fatale (Vigilante, #7)
  • Thirteen to None (Vigilante, #8)
  • See You in Saigon
  • Sins in the Sun (Vigilante #10)
  • Getting Even