Start by marking “The Anybodies (Anybodies, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Anybodies (Anybodies, #1)

The Anybodies (Anybodies #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  3,230 Ratings  ·  318 Reviews

The Anybodies

Fern discovers that she was swapped at birth and leaves her tragically dull parents for an unforgettable adventure with her true father, the Bone. Just who are the Anybodies? You'll have to read to find out! Narrated by the hilariously intrusive N. E. Bode, The Anybodies is a magical adventure for readers of all ages.

The Nobodies

Fern Drudger's quirky adventu

Published (first published May 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Anybodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anybodies

Kim
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a while to get into it but I ended up really liking it - - a very original story and I like the references to all the books. Here's the review from Amazon.com:

Grade 5-8–This inventive novel has elements of Cornelia Funke's Inkheart (Scholastic, 2003) and Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" (HarperCollins). Fern Drudger, an imaginative misfit in her extraordinarily boring family, discovers that she and Howard Bone were switched at birth. The adults decide that the children w
Brenda
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Kathryn
A story with a slow beginning but when it gets going it is a really enjoyable read. Fern has always felt like she doesn't fit in with the Drudger's. When "The Bone" shows up at her doorstep and explains that there was a baby switch at the hospital, things begin to click into place for Fern. The two families decide that the children should trade places and spend the summer with their birth parent. It is on this summer that Fern discovers some hidden truths about her new father, deceased mother an ...more
Luann
What a fun book! I've never had a book dedicated to me, so I started the book with a smile on my face. I loved the author's commentary as the story went along - although sometimes the transition between story and commentary was a little abrupt. As I was reading, I thought I would be giving the book 4 stars - until the house made of books! I want to live there!
Runa
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must for children's book lovers! It mimics the styles of Roald Dahl, Lemony Snicket, Harry Potter, and many more, and beyond that, references them, too. It features a girl who can bring elements out of the books they came from and a grandmother with a house literally made of books. And the characters! They are all quirky and lovable, and even the antagonist is given a chance to be explained. Mad props to any book that can explain the effects of trauma on a person's ability to love. Eas ...more
Claire
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fiction with a twist of fantasy in it.

Fern lives with Mr. and Mrs. Drudger they lead a very boring life. And when she finds out they aren't her real parents she meets her own. Her mother died but her father is named Bone. Bone is his name not Father or Daddy. Just Bone. Bone is an interesting guy. He is an anybody. His life opens a new world to Fern. Soon they are running off with a mystery in their hands.
Bethany
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
What can I say? I have a weakness for books that:
A. Contain references to some my favourite works of literature,
B. Have humorous notes from the author interspersed throughout, and
C. Are quirky, original, and thoroughly lovable.

This book was right up my alley. Not to mention it was dedicated to me!!! {No, not you. Me. I'm sure you probably thought it was talking about you, but it was definitely talking about me. ;)}
Randi
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so wonderful, fun, exciting and unique. Gives a whole new meaning to the story of discovering who you are! If I was going to write a book I think it would be something like this. Also make books seem very exciting and powerful.
Jill
Jun 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-fiction
This was a fun and silly read.
Madeline Clements
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edtp-245
I absolutely love this book! It throws you into another world full of mystery and magic. It teaches children that reading can be fun. I love the story line and the pictures in this book. I would most definitely read it to a class.
Jenna F
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Anybodies
by Jenna Foxhoven

Summary: The book “The Anybodies” is the first book of a series written by N.E. Bode (En-Ee-Body) and its partnering books in the series are ‘The Some bodies” and “The Nobodies”. This book is centered on the main character Fern, who lives with her no resemblance “Parents” The Drudgers. When she gets suspicious of things happening to her, she starts to zoom into the past of The Miser, Bone, and The Great Realdo. This book goes through crazy things like crickets from
Arminzerella
Laurie
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amy Amanda
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book that makes me think of a song... or the other way around. Matchbox season's "Unwell" has a line that says,

But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know right now you don't care
But soon enough you're gonna think of me
And how I used to be

There is a character in this book who is constantly writing letters and saying, "As you know, I haven't been my
Kendra
Jul 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
The author of this book is hysterical. Every now and then he stops the story to explain that his English teacher would have been disappointed that he used a certain word. Or, he will stop and tell the reader that he promises the book will get better if we can just hang in there a little longer.

Anyway, the story is about a girl who ends up going home with the wrong family at birth. Then the family she really belongs to ends up with the wrong child as well. So, the families finally end up swappin
Michelle
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is delightful!!! I echo what Luann said, that if this book existed while I was growing up it would have been one of my favorites.
It has funny, off-beat comments from the author like with Lemony Snicket. It has allusions to many beloved children's books, including Harry Potter. It has uplifting themes, like the value of honesty and the power of real love.
My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough! :) I think she could have developed the story and characters even a little bit more.
S
Kathy
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author really knows us readers. Throughout the book, I felt like she was speaking directly to me, a weirdly odd but pleasant sensation. Like when she interrupts the story on p. 23 to advise the reader to take a sip of water, and look around to make sure the house isn't on fire. As she writes: "Sometimes I would have appreciated a quick reminder from the author concerning the outside world; and I swore if I ever wrote a book, I would include one."

At that very moment I was about to take a si
Adriana
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't really slowed down to read a book like this before. Kid's books just bring me so much happiness. I love the idea of being able to shake up a book and something come out of it. I hope she gets to spend time with Howard, her switched partner. Really lovely read.
Rakiyang
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorties
This is one of the best books I've read in a while. Though it was written in a fun and whimsical way, it dealt with some heavy topics beautifully. The ending made me tear up a little because I found it so moving and so beautiful.
A. Musquiz
It was a bit random and not my cup of tea but it was entertaining.
The fact that this is the first book in a series saves it. The book was fine, but the ending would have been a disappointment if it was a stand alone. The story reminds me of the Inkheart series, with power being shown through books. The Anybodies takes a different spin on it, which made the story move in a direction I did not really see coming.

I appreciate the fact that this book references so many others. It would be great if children went and read the other books because they were mentioned
C.J. Milbrandt
A switched-at-birth story in which Fern discovers that her very boring parents aren't hers. She carries a much stranger legacy. Her father is an Anybody. And Fern seems to have her mother's knack with books.

This is one of those middlegrade stories that's riddled with references to other classic/mainstream books every kid should read. I think there were only one or two allusions I didn't immediately recognize. While there are many likeable aspects to the story, I quickly grew frustrated by N.E.
Viola
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fern lives with the Drudgers who are very dull. Fern has seen many strange things. One day man and his son arrive at their house. The man explains how Fern and his son were switched at birth, accidentally. Her father is an Anybody they can change into different things. She and her father try to find the book her mother hid before the Miser. Her mother died and she loved the book. The book hunt leads them on an adventure filled with excitement.
Wendie Berry
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was soo good that I am going to read it to my class this year. It has a wonderful story line and the author did some amazing things by including the reader in the story. It was funny, sad, hopeful and magical. All traits a good book should have. I am looking forward to reading the sequel. I'm hoping it is just as good!
Tamara
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Struggled to keep the kids interest with this one through the middle of the story. I thought the plot was a bit confusing. Now that we finished though, one of the kids rushed to check out the next one in the series.
Danielle Routh
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my childhood favorites that holds up quite well today. The ending is a bit saccharine, but I love the many allusions to great books and the author's commentary, which may irk some readers but is a trope that, when not used in excess, adds much to the story. Definitely keeping this one.
Ava
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book!!!!!!!
Becca
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, magical, so many references! This book is one that has stuck with me through the years.
Abby Lake
It was quirky, interesting for myself and an easy read. I might re-read it for kicks sometime soon.
Avonlea Rose
Annie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-much-fun
Hilarious fun! Fern is the most adorable feisty character ever.
Also- encouraging imagination and reading! Utterly awesome.
I'd have loved this book as a kid, shame I didn't know of it.
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
  • Eggs over Evie
  • 15 Minutes
  • The Hollow Bettle (Poisons of Caux, #1)
  • The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)
  • Out of Patience
  • Over My Dead Body (43 Old Cemetery Road, #2)
  • Horns and Wrinkles
  • Magic Marks the Spot (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #1)
  • Once Upon the End (Half Upon a Time, #3)
  • The Secret Zoo (The Secret Zoo, #1)
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • The Runaway Dolls (Doll People, #3)
  • Give Me Liberty
  • May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1)
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • Beyond the Door (Time Out of Time, #1)
N.E. Bode is the pen name of author Julianna Baggott.

I was asked by HarperCollins – my fair publishers! – to write a paragraph summarizing myself. This is hard to do. There was a word maximum. I had to be brief. I'll cut and paste it here so I don't have to write it twice, but I should say it just didn't capture my essence. But for what it's worth, it went like this:

"N.E. Bode, unsuspecting creat