Start by marking “Singing to the Plants: A Guide to Mestizo Shamanism in the Upper Amazon” as Want to Read:
Singing to the Plants: A Guide to Mestizo Shamanism in the Upper Amazon

Singing to the Plants: A Guide to Mestizo Shamanism in the Upper Amazon

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  122 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In the Upper Amazon, mestizos are the Spanish-speaking descendants of Hispanic colonizers and the indigenous peoples of the jungle. Some mestizos have migrated to Amazon towns and cities, such as Iquitos and Pucallpa; most remain in small villages. They have retained features of a folk Catholicism and traditional Hispanic medicine, and have incorporated much of the religio ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by University of New Mexico Press (first published October 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Singing to the Plants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singing to the Plants

Uncle
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whether you are into metaphysics or science this book is a fantastic read. It's probably one of the best written, first hand accounts of Shamanism from an Ethnobotany perspective. This book was written well after the movie 'Medicine Man' was released, starring Sean Connery. I mention this only because the author looks just like Sean Connery in that film. I think that a few of my FB friends will enjoy this book, if I know them as well as I think that I do. Enjoy!
C.G. Berry
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those about to undertake exploration of plant spirit shamanism.
A good generalistic coverage of contemporary plant spirit shamanism. Recommended reading for those students seeking deeper understanding is of the ayahuasca experience. Whilst some of the experiences and thoughts do not reflect my own observations in the area, the Amazon is a huge geographical zone, and I am sure that the thoughts attributed to native wisdom are accurate, even if not within my limited first hand experience.
Red
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Anyone who is interested in Mestizo Shamanism or Ayahuasca owes it to themselves to check out this masterpiece. Detail oriented with lots of documentation and references. However, Beyer doesn't completely leave the reader out in the cold. He also includes lots of his own personal experiences.

Mark
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is shamanism real? This book could help shed some light.

When I was a boy I remember coming across a science book at a place we were waiting. I don't remember where we were, but they had books in the waiting room so I started reading one. It had a section on quantum physics and another part about the future - proclaiming that sometime in the future we will be able to see more things than we can now, and it was accompanied by an illustration depicting thus - cars with improved headlights illumina
Mark
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So amazing.
Sukhmani Atma Kaur
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very thorough. The author has two PhDs: one in psychology and one in religion (re: this is not a skimmer) so the reader gets a rich shamanic, spiritual experience with many footnotes on the scientific explanation of what is happening neurologically and behaviorally. Overall it is an incredibly well researched book using case studies and anthropology to color the ayahuasca experience over the last 60+ years. What no one speaks about is how this book might be a spoiler for anyone seeking to try th ...more
Evgenia
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shamanism, drugs, amazonia
Very thorough and very well researched. It combines extensive literature review with his own experience and observations and manages to cover every facet and perspective on the topic. I expect this to be a great resource for anyone interested in upper Amazonian Shamanism.
Seti
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Informative. A wealth of information on shamanism throughout the Amazon in a general sense and mestizo shamanism of Northern Peru in particular. The section on Ayahuasca was also a wealth of knowledge. If you are interested in medicinal plants and shamanism it is worth the read.
Scott
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good middle-of-the-road guide to shamanism—both magical and rational sides presented. I gleaned a lot of practical info from the first parts. Would've been 5 stars but got a bit too bogged down in details for me in the later parts of the book.
Elaine Asrai
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Some strange territory is covered here. I wish some areas could have been more comprehensive though.
Timothy Delaney
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very important book.
Well researched and very informative.
No BS.
Ayahuasca and Shamanism.
Javier Yoacham
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the clearest and most well written description of Ayahuasca Curanderismo out there. Anyone interested in the topic should start with this book.
Velvetink
Jan 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: religion-spirit
tuebl ebook
Erica
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buy-this-for-me
You will buy me this book.
Reece Eoff
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you are even remotely interested in Mestizo Shamanism or Ayahuasca (Yagé), then this book is for you.
Brodyn
Jul 16, 2012
Oddbjørn Fiskefjell
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. 'Singing to the plants' double entry 4 10 May 30, 2015 11:23AM
  • Ayahuasca in My Blood: 25 Years of Medicine Dreaming
  • The Antipodes of the Mind: Charting the Phenomenology of the Ayahuasca Experience
  • The Long Trip: A Prehistory of Psychedelia

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
    $18.95 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99