Start by marking “The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead

The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead

(The Dark Tower (Graphic Novels) #4)

A horrified Steven Deschain learns that the deadly seeing sphere called Maerlyn's Grapefruit has been stolen from his chamber. Far worse, when he enters his wife's room to arrest her for the theft, his son Roland is standing over her body with a gun in his hand.
Published February 17th 2010 by Marvel (first published August 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tower, please sign up.

Matthew
This series is awesome, do ya kennit?

Such a creative and well written story combining legends of the past, the peril of the present, and the hopelessness of the future in Stephen King’s Dark Tower Universe. This volume completes the path from the innocence of youth to the responsibility of adulthood for our protagonist, Roland, and his group of friends. Some of this story you know from The Dark Tower novels, but this graphic novel series is now really starting to expand on stories that King only
Stephen
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it
3.0 stars. First, let me say that I think the Dark Tower series is among the best fantasy works ever written. Also, being a fan of the graphic novel format, I was thrilled to hear that Marvel was doing a set of graphic novels that would “fill in” certain aspects of the Dark Tower series that were mentioned but not dealt with specifically in the novels. Therefore, I think it is fair to say that I someone to whom these books should definitely appeal.

That said, my overall impression of the book is
Stepheny
You know how every Potterhead in the world wants more backstory? How we’re all just dying for some tales filled with the shenanigans of James, Sirius, Lupin and of course, Pettigrew too? Well, I have been saying for years that someone needs to write Harry Potter graphic novels. Because, why the fuck not? Exactly.

Anyway, what does this have to do with the Dark Tower Series? Not a lot, but my brain works in a strange way.

Basically this graphic novel gives you a whole lot of background. My favorit
Shannon
NOTE: the first part of this review is about the series, in general, and the last part covers this particular volume.

FROM MY REVIEW OF THE FIRST GRAPHIC NOVEL

I never got into the novel series but after reading this particular graphic novel I just might give it another try. This volume focuses on the Gunslinger before he became a legend in this post apocalyptic Spaghetti Western Fantasy tale. It covers the legends of his home realm life, how he earned his guns at an early age and his first miss
C.W.
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad these exist.
Allie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
That ending!! Gah!!!

I wanted to take away a star due to the absence of Jae Lee's illustrations, but hot damn -- that was an excellent volume. So, five stars it is.

I love the relationship between Alain and Cuthbert. They're my favourites. They are always giving each other shit, and it. is. hilarious.

This wasn't a pleasant book by any means, but it was just so good. I'm glad I'm reading the graphic novel, opposed to the novel, because I don't think my little hardened heart could handle the 'feel
Obsidian
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not too much to say here. We get to see Gilead before it's fall. Constant Readers know about some of the events if you have read the other Dark Tower books. We have Roland reeling from killing his mother and Cort on his deathbed.

Oh Roland. He is really a tragic figure. I know that King took inspiration from the Tales of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table when writing the Dark Tower. You just see more similarities in the comics than the books when you read about Maerlyn, and Stephen
Lynn
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The backstory I was craving. Gilead falls to John Farson and it's the beginning of the end. Although this isn't a perfect match to SK's Dark Tower series timing because The Wind Through the Keyhole was added later, I don't care. Just excellent.
Kandice
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am absolutely loving the background story! The Dark Tower epic is so consuming and King seems to be finished with it, so these are the only other sources we are likely to get. Thinking about that, I want to give this five stars, but then I think about the illustrations...

I have no problem with the actual work. Jae Lee is a favorite of mine. When he is at Comic Con I make it a point to see him. He's kind of quiet and a bit awkward, but not on the page! My problem is not with the quality, but ra
Karissa
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it

This is the fourth graphic novel in the eleven book graphic novel series based off of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. This was a well done continuation of the series; I continue to enjoy the excellent artwork and complex plot. Just FYI there are spoilers ahead for those who haven’t read the previous graphic novels in this series.

Steven Deschan has discovered that Maerlyn’s Grapefruit has been stolen and is on his way to visit his wife when he finds his son Roland standing over her dead body. W
Andrew
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Right where do I start - as with the previous instalments it starts off almost immediately from the end of the previous book. However there are links and loops that do not make sense unless you have read the previous book (and likewise there are certain people and events that at the time see disjointed, suddenly fall in to place).

This makes for both a clever series of twists to the story but for me is playing a dangerous game. Yes I acknowledge the storyline and its subtlety and clever design b
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Blood, betrayal,hatred, murder, seeming futility...this isn't what I'd call a "feel good book". But then none of the Dark Tower books are...and it's really not Mr. King's forte (yes I know, but it's based on Stephen Kings Dark Tower.

You get to know a little more about Martian Broadcloak, Randall Flagg...the Walkin' Dude o whatever you choose to call him and maybe finally fill in a few of the gaps in the story. The Dark Tower is interesting to me because of the way a lot of traditional myth has s
David Sven
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This adds to the existing lore on the Fall of Gilead. We get very little of the actual taking of Gilead from the books so a lot of this is new material. Again, this one will appeal to the hard core Dark Tower fans. I am starting to get a little impatient to get to the older Roland as we see him in the first Dark Tower book The Gunslinger.
But this was a lot better paced than the previous instalment.

4 stars
Maria
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh this series is fantastic. I wish there was enough time left in the day to binge the final volume. The Fall of Gilead is epic. It's painful to experience what I've known from the beginning is going to happen. For it has to happen, else Roland's quest for the Dark Tower can't begin.

I've so much enjoyed getting to see more in depth into his past and how he became the character I loved. This story begins with the Sorcerer excerpt, which was quite interesting. It's the first deep glimpse into Mar
Paul Nelson
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The fall of Gilead is another step along the path leading to The Dark Tower and the Gunslinger, the first novel of Stephen Kings series. In the Marvel comic series so far and for one more comic we see what happens in Roland's life up to his first introduction in the first novel, the search for the man in black and the short lived meeting of the boy Jake.
The fall of Gilead takes on much darker tone than the novels and the comic series so far and the overwhelming feeling of loss takes precedence,
Becky
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another awesome installment of this series. I really love these graphic novels, and I love the extension of the Dark Tower story told through them.

The artwork is fantastic in these, and I love the tone and the wry humor that comes through the narration. There's a distinct tone to these that doesn't exist in the books, and I really enjoy that.

I also loved that there was more of Cuthbert in this one... He had some great bits. Real funny stuff that had me giggling out loud a few times.

Definitely
Carmen
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of great background material and a well developed plot but I prefer jae lee's artwork.
Melissa
This book is the best in the series so far, in terms of plausible new material & plotline. I still like the artwork & I still don't like the narrative style, the endless rhetorical questions & the "Do you kennit's?" This book really bothered me for some reason; am I getting soft in my old age? The panel of women & children asking if it's all over while the treacherous gaurds reply, "Yes. For you it is," stayed with me for a long time after reading. Which is silly because, hey, it ...more
John
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Blown away by this book as well.Dont want to say too much because i dont want to ruin it for others who have not taken the journey yet.However this volume paints a excellent picture of all the events that lead to the Fall Of Gilead.Robin Furth has outdone herself with these books so far.Knowing what comes next has me hesitant to proceed.It was hard enough to get through this one with so much tragedy abound.
Alondra
5 Stars!

Blood was spilled. Blood flowed.

Everyone's hands got bloody on this one. We get the details of the fall of Gilead, and not the hinted at details from the series. There is a lot of back-stabbing, cutthroats, and liars; and it was not pretty. The graphic novels really enhance the awesome book series. You get more in-depth characterizations; and Cuthbert and Alain aren't just faceless names; but fully fleshed characters.

I need to get the next book; quick.
Michelle Morrell
Anyone who has read The Dark Tower books knows that Gilead fell. Though presented as a fact, there was never any specifics. Not anymore, presented in graphic detail we see all the horrible betrayals and poor decisions that lead up to the end of the Gunslinger civilization. Brutal, wrenching and tragic, highly recommended for any fan of the series.
Helen White
These are definitely getting better - Roland is having a bad time after accidentally murdering his mother. As Gilead falls it's up to his fellow gunslingers to get him out of prison and try to save the city.
mike andrews
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-dark-tower
Couldn't ask for a better adaptation of the Tower in graphic form than what I've read so far. All the same emotions the novels stirred up are here for the graphic novels. They are amazing.
Gary Butler
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
23rd book read in 2012.

Number 64 out of 255 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Rao Javed
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphical-books
Brilliant... I'd say that from this part I am totally hooked with The Dark Tower series. :-D
Kurt Zisa
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Satisfying tale that fills in the gaps of the Dark Tower series. Solid storytelling, narrative, and artwork make this a welcome edition into the series.
Nicholas
Feb 09, 2010 rated it liked it
They changed the artist. Fail. This series is being written by Robin Furth, not Stephen King, which creates an understandable bit of confusion as to what is official Dark Tower canon and what is not (although King does give his approval to the series and I'm sure he's involved in the production somehow). Maybe, I just need to go back and reread the original novels, but I seem to remember Steven Deschain and his ka-tet dying differently than is being presented in the Fall of Gilead. That could ju ...more
Giovanni Gelati
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The saga continues and so does my enjoyment of them. The story has serious undertones and overtones, let’s just say for a graphic novel the plotline makes you think a little more than the average good guy /bad guy thing. Roland, the youngest gunslinger, continues to be tested as he tries to navigate through Mid-World to reach the fulcrum of existence –The Dark Tower. I am going to put the rest of the post into the hands of Mr. Ralph Macchio, and give you a piece of his intro into the graphic nov ...more
Jessi Jones
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Okay, now that I've read the first five volumes, I feel like I can give an accurate review. First, let me say that I LOVE the Dark Tower and the artwork in these graphic novels is outstanding; however, I'm left feeling like it was a waste of my time reading these. I think it's a combination of preferring regular books over graphic novels, and that the overall story these volumes told didn't really add anything to the story that I already know and love; therefore, they all received a 3/5 rating f ...more
Jonathan Echevarria
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Volume Four of the Dark Tower graphic novel series that started with The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born. For the fans who have been following since the first volume, it should come as no surprise that the death count is pretty high when it's all said and done. There are a lot of terrific send offs, especially for the readers like me who aren't familiar with what was already established in the main Stephen King novels.

It was brought to my attention that Robin Furth took creative charg
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Stand: Hardcases
  • The Little Sisters of Eluria (The Dark Tower, #0.5)
  • DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 3
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 11: Fear the Hunters
  • American Vampire, Vol. 2
  • Locke and Key: Omega #2
  • Stephen King's N.
  • Conan, Vol. 3: The Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
  • Swamp Thing, Volume 4: Seeder

The Dark Tower (Graphic Novels) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born