Start by marking “The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)

The Hell You Say

(The Adrien English Mysteries #3)

After bookstore clerk Angus flees following terrifying death threats, owner Adrien must contend with a mysterious Satanic cult, a hot and handsome university professor, and his on-again/off-again relationship with closeted LAPD Homicide Detective Jake Riordan.
Published March 6th 2006 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about The Hell You Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hell You Say

Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonFatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
749 books — 694 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
The Best of Gay Romance
3,194 books — 3,303 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Dear Jake Riordan,

You are a diiiiiiickkkkk with a capital "D"

Adrien= doormat who accepts Jake's $hit and doesn't make a stink about it
Jake= selfish asshole
Me= livid that I give a crap, livid that I'm addicted to this infuriating series!

I'm sorry but this is not a romance series. This is a glimpse inside an abusive, dissatisfying relationship that serves as the evil background for the fascinating mystery writing.

I'm most concerned about (view spoiler)
Baba
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, josh-lanyon
Review completed January 23, 2013

"This symbol is a seal. A personal signature representing a demon. A high-ranking demon."
I certainly didn't want any low-ranked demons loitering about the place. "So…what does that mean? I've been cursed?"

photo tumblr_mdbkyhKPNk1r25btlo1_500_zpsb14c5adf.gif

I assured him all was cool, although I couldn't help wondering: If God works in mysterious ways, why shouldn't the Devil seek temporary employment in a mystery bookstore?

The Hell You Say is the third book in the Adrien English series. Our
Wendy
5_gold_stars_copy1.jpg (1596×267)

Re-read many times :P

Chances are if you are reading this review, you have already read book 1 and 2. If you haven't go back !! You need to start with the first book and believe me....these books are worth the read, don't let this review scare you off :P

That said....this book pissed me off so freaking bad ..

LactatingWithRage.gif (500×188)

I hate Jake so very very much !!!

I have known that Jake is deep... way deep in the closet since book 1. I also know that he is a coward and a cheat. I hated him for all of this, but he was hon
Shile
3rd reread and Jake is still an a**hole.

Adrien will forever be a darling.

***********************************
Still a 5 star for me

Chris Patton was born to narrate this series. Love!Love! his Voice.

description

"I realized that he wanted me to get angry, that anger would make it easier, and I didn't want to make it easier. He didn't deserve to have it made easy." Tell him Adrien! Tell him!

Adrien is the best amateur sleuth, with an amazing sense of humor.

Josh Lanyon writing is amazing, i enjoyed the flow
Kat
My life will never be the same
'Cause deeply closeted cop, you came and changed
The way I walk, the way I talk
I cannot explain the things I feel for you
But homophobic Jake, you know it's true

At least that was how it was SUPPOSED to go. The Hell You Say? What The Hell, you mean. Seriously, what the hell Detective Jake Riordan?!

I thought I would just lie down on the sofa this Sunday - since Holland is completely snowed in anyway - with a gigantic mug of hot chocolate and indulge in Adrien and Jake,
Rosa, really
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Rosa, really by: Everybody

Jake Riordan: Total heartbreaker;
Source of considerable grief & distress;
But a more complex person than the douchebag I thought he’d be;
i.e. I might not have to punch him in the larynx after all.

(Uh, please do not mistake the above for my awkward attempt at poetry.)

(view spoiler)
Snjez
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks

I knew what to expect going into this book, but it was still painful to read about and I'm very angry with Jake. I really felt for Adrien here. He is so lovable that I can't imagine anyone treating him badly.

The mystery part was ok, not my favourite theme, but it was well done. The writing was great and I really like how the author ends each book.

Chris Patton is still amazing as a narrator. I love the voices he gave the characters.
Natasha
New name for this book titled: Lanyon wants to set you on a murderous, rampaging path in life.

What is this book? What is this? How do I rate this? I was torn between 1 (because of rage) and 5 (because of emotions) but I gave myself some time to cool my jets and here I am... at a comfortable 4.
I almost threw my iPad, and since my iPad is like a child to me, I'll admit I had some anger issues reading this book.

So, there's lots of spoilers and swearing below this point. Danger, danger.

First off, I
Adam
My thoughts on Jake:

My thoughts on Adrien:
description

And yet I'm hooked. It's like a train wreck. I just can't look away. Yes, they're highly dysfunctional and should probably run as far away from each other as possible (especially Adrian, because fuck Jake). But I want to see exactly how messed up they can get.

Am I delighting in a fictional character's misery? Probably.

Also, their adventures are entertaining. While I thought that there were a few too many characters and potential suspects in 'The Hell Yo
Susan65
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Jake is a self serving, closeted bastard who treats Adrian like shit and then has the nerve to put his hands on him and threaten him? This guy has absolutely no redeeming qualities. None. Who told me to read this series again?

Okay...off to read book four...I am such a sucker for punishment.

Martin
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Sad.
That's how I feel after reading Adrien's third adventure.

The story is just the right mix of suspenseful and creepy. A Satanic cult is out to kill people as human sacrifices and Adrien (no surprise there) manages to draw the cult's attention to himself and the people around him.

'Extremely closeted' asshole cop Jake is in charge of the case and does his best to hide any connection Adrien has to the case - and more importantly to him.

Despite the awesome plot and many quirky characters, I was l
Ariana
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, no wonder at the emotional outcry this book caused!

I am happily joining the club who wants to see Jake hanged, drawn and quartered alive. What the heck is going on with him? To hurt Adrien again and again to then tell him in the end that he knew what to expect just made me fume.

And Adrien? Whatever Jake’s throwing at him, he simply continues as if nothing happened. Or he says ‘okay’. That hurt even more. I wanted Adrien to call Jake out on his bullshit and get to the bottom of their feelin
Ingie
Written May 28, 2014

4 Stars - Another interesting nicely solved mystery but also some heartbreaking sad moments

Book #3

I'm an impatient reader these days and just couldn't wait to continue to read (listening to) the further adventures for our dear hero, Adrien English. ~ I really liked the second part
A Dangerous Thing (4.3 stars), and at last started Adrien & Jack's love story in tiny small small steps.

Will it be more steamy nice moments and a lovely nice development on their way (hopefully) to e
Lenore
This is the best installment in the series so far. The writing was, as always, excellent, the mystery was solid, the story paced, the characterisation strong. Just the fact that I didn't end up hating Jake's guts even though he behaved like a dbag almost throughout this book speaks volumes about the author's skill. He managed to make me understand Jake's side, his (re)actions, his hang-ups. He made Jake's douchebaggery bearable. And for that alone he deserves my five stars.
Bookwatcher
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt-gay, suspense
Jake can try... Try and try... Something will always betray his "I'm not gay" fake life

I love the book, hate Jake, and pity Adrien... I don't thing I should say more. Why? I must write a quick review. I can't wait to read more! Already starting Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4) by Josh Lanyon

:-)

5 stars
Brian Johnson
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moony Eliver
4 stars for this volume, 5 stars for the series as a whole. OMG the mystery in this one drove me batty. Two reasons: it dominated a higher percentage of the page count (not a scientific deduction, just my perception), and I lost any patience I ever might have had for words that weren't directly related to Adrien and Jake and what they were going through. Their problems were my problems, their lives were my life. GET BEHIND ME, SATAN.

Non-spoiler review of The Adrien English Mysteries series:
A Tal
Vivian
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could it be Satan...

Christmastime in LA with Adrien playing his own Cloak and Dagger. When dead bodies start appearing bearing the markings of ritual sacrifice and everyone starts acting squirrelly, Adrien is thrust into the case.

There's a slew of personal upheaval as every segment of Adrien's life gets put through the ringer simultaneously, from work to family to love. This is pretty angsty and readers get another ride on the Adrien/Jake rollercoaster, which really isn't fun. You can't tell so
Jenni
Jake Riordan is a stinking bastard.

Yep. That's my review.
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
BR reread 5/1/19: Jake = UGH. Adrien = :(. Guy = DIE!

Original review:

Damn you, Jake Riordan! *shakes fist*

This book hurts so bad. It's the one where that Thing happens, where Jake's a giant poophead (more so than usual) and frelling Guy Snowden, spawn of Satan himself - and I mean that mostly literally - makes his first appearance. UGH! I just can't with Guy. And I can't with Jake.

Adrien's in shock. He needs a blanket. Actually, Jake could probably use one too, but he's not getting one. For rea
Katerina
Re-read in October 2018.

Oh yeah! This goes directly into my favorites shelf.
I'm so terribly sorry for Adrien. I hope in the next part of this series it will improve for him. At least he kept his dry humor. And Jake ... I'd like to shoot him on the moon. Damn idiot.

Jennifer☠Pher☠
Audio Re-Read

So yeah. Well. Hmmm...It seems that sometimes time changes how we feel or perceive a book. Not in this case. I feel the same in 2018 as I did in 2014. Actually no, I may be more angry now. I definitely am.

I know I need to rate this high but part of me really, really doesn't want to because I kind of hate it.

I am so fucking pissed off. I hate Jake. I don't like Guy and as much as I truly love Adrien I just can't with him right now. I just can't. Worse, I know what is going to happen
Jenni Lea
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

So... freaking... PISSED!!!!!!!

Off to read the next one. Lets just see how he plans to get back in my good graces. Hah! Like THAT will ever happen! Stupid freaking closeted assholes are stupid! *angry face*
Lilia Ford
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabi
Adrien is sweet and funny. Smart and forgiving. I like him so much.

Jake is one of the most godawful men I've ever read about. He's self-centred and self involved and self important. In my eyes, he committed an unforgivable crime in this book. And no, it wasn't the cheating.

I get strangely wrapped up in these stories even though I struggle somewhat with them. In this episode, I wasn't overly fond of the occult murder theme. In all the books I struggle with the references to music and movies I've
Shelley
Lanyon’s put a curse on me! It would seem I like this sleuthing thing.

These murder mystery stories are NOT my thing. Sure, I like all the intrigue and deducing as a side plot but this series is way too heavy on the whodunit element, and yet I find myself trapped and spellbound devouring every word. Yep, totally cursed I tell you!

There is so much going on here: kidnapping, satanic cults, multiple murder investigation, a lesson in the occult, Wiccan craft, sex magic, candle magic and demonology o
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
”It was harder to avoid demons in dreams—especially when they were your own.”

It is official Adrien has driven me to drink! The Hell You Say, book three in the Adrien English Mystery series filled my heart and soul with such longing, sadness, and hollowed out hope. Not sure I’ll be able to convey the power of this ache in my chest, but I have never wanted to hug a fictional character more in my life.

It’s Christmas time, which for Adrien English means garland, twinkling lights, and of course—dead
Breann
3rd Reread (audio) - 10/23/16
__________________________

***Audio edition re-read!***

I'm bumping this another half star for the perfection that is the narration by Chris Patton. Perfection I tell you!

__________________________________________

The Hell You Say is the third -- and possibly my favorite -- installment of the Adrien English Mysteries. I adore Adrien’s voice in these books but if he doesn’t stop sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong the phrase "curiosity killed the cat" is g
Caipi
Another entertaining mystery!

Adrien was again this clever, witty guy you just have to love.
And Jake was.........., well, I still have hope that he'll find his way.

4,5 stars

Listened to November 2016, November 2018, July 2020
Gabriel Savant 1 12 Mar 11, 2016 11:59PM

• Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Among the Living (PsyCop, #1)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Paternity Case (Hazard and Somerset #3)
  • Reasonable Doubt (Hazard and Somerset #5)
  • Declination (Borealis Investigations, #3)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop, #7)
  • The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • Zero at the Bone (Zero at the Bone #1)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

The Adrien English Mysteries (5 books)
  • Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)
  • A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)