Start by marking “Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman” as Want to Read:
Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman

Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman

(The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman #1)

A hilarious collection of stories from the life of the New York Times bestselling author of Look Again

At last, together in one collection, are Lisa Scottoline’s wildly popular Philadelphia Inquirer columns. In her column, Lisa lets her hair down, roots and all, to show the humorous side of life from a woman’s perspective. The Sunday column debuted in 2007 and on the day it
Published November 24th 2009 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog, please sign up.
Mary You don't need to but she does refer back to events she stated in previous books.
Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingLet's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  LawsonYes Please by Amy PoehlerAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Funny Women Memoirs
325 books — 1,471 voters
The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall SmithThe Husband's Secret by Liane MoriartyDona Flor and Her Two Husbands by Jorge AmadoAn Ideal Husband by Oscar WildeThe Husband List by Janet Evanovich
Husbands
231 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
Jun 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
I picked this up on the strength of the title. I'll give any book that makes me laugh out loud in the library a shot. I should have read the flap copy, because this is almost the perfect storm of nonfiction I hate- let me count the ways.

The author writes (1)"chick-lit" that is (2)massively popular. This (3)collection of (4)newspaper columns features several (5)guest columns written by the author's daughter. The essays are (6)cute, (7)upbeat, and (8)warmly nonjudgmental. They feature (9)Spanx, (
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
3.5 Stars!

I have enjoyed Lisa Scottoline's writing for quite some time. I would have to say that I became a pretty big fan of hers when I went to an author event at my local library when she was touring for Look Again. I couldn't believe how much fun I had listening to her. She was funny and she threw snack cakes at the audience which is always a plus. I went home that night with a huge grin on my face, a snack cake to devour later on, and a brand new tote bag that she gave me for buying several
Nancy
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
This light, humorous book about "lessons learned" reminded me NOT to make snap judgements. This is totally the kind of book I would pass over in bookstores and consider myself too thoughtful a person to ever consider reading. (Translation: too much of a literary snob to want to be seen reading this kind of book).

BUT, a dear friend pressed it in my hand, saying what a treat it was, so "whatcha going to do"? I gave it a whirl and after 20 pages decided that it was just too cute and too fluffy that
Sally Sullivan
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is Hysterical. I had forgotten how great it feels to truly laugh out loud. So far the funniest chapter by far is "Everything Old is Nude Again" The first line reads ..."Something dangerous is going on in the world of women's underwear, and I want to nip it in the butt. Sorry. I am referring of course to Spanx." You will cry and probably identify gladly or ...sadly.

But it is not all funny, for the tempo rises and falls like a gentle ocean, one minute you're laughing right out loud and
Author Annabelle Leigha
Very Cute!!! I was giggling so much that my cubemate had to check on me. Although I was sad when she talked about her sick furbabies! It made me think of mine and I may or may not have teared up. Otherwise a great easy read!
Paul Pessolano
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lisa Scottoline is best known for her 15 mystery novels. "Why My Third Husband Will Be A Dog" is humor at its best. The book is a compilation of articles that she did for the Philadelphia Inquirer. They are short stories, 2 to 3 pages long, that gives the reader a look into her life.

Lisa has been married twice and she "makes no bones" in telling us how bad these marriages were, she calls her husbands "Thing One" and "Thing Two". She has a daughter that is going off to college and is the apple of
Ali
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog gives us a slice of life from the sometimes sentimental, often hilarious, definitely extraordinary life of author Lisa Scottoline. Ms. Scottoline is ingenious and full of life as you'll be able to tell from listening to her recount some of her weekly Chick Wit column in the Philadelphia Inquirer and additional stories on life, love, family and pets from her outlook, which can be a comical one to say the least.

I'm not the only one who thinks of chloroforming her
Toni
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women
Yes, I finally finished this book and absolutely hated finishing it. I just loved Lisa Scottoline’s sense of humor. I picked this book up due to the title. I had to control myself and not laugh too load when I was in the bookstore and saw it on the shelf. That would not be the only laugh that this book would give me. The chapters are short and sweet. This book was great to take along while waiting at the doctors office or if I just needed a good laugh. Yes, it took me months and months to read b ...more
Diana Long
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
205. I really enjoyed this read and was highly entertained. A collection of this and that dealing with life from the authors column she writes for the Philadelphia Inquirer. Her sense of humor reminds me of the books written by Erma Bombeck. Need something different and humorous to read this book is excellent.
Terri
Feb 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Lisa Scottoline has a great storytelling voice for this. That's where the great part ends.

Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog began as columns for the Philadelphia Inquirer and should have remained columns for a newspaper. Together the stories get boring and well, not very funny. I think that was the point of the book, humor, and it is not humorous in that laugh out loud, relating to the tale sort of way.

It was a bit like listening to a bad joke in the midst of others and trying to pretend that y
Ashley
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
A collection of Scottoline's newspaper column called "Chick Wit". I'm feeling distinctly "meh" about this one. Her style is witty and unapologetic, but the cheesy endings to the columns started become annoying after like the 5th one. Did I mention there are 70-ish articles in this book? It reminded me David Caruso on CSI: Miami. You know how he does that cheesy one-liner to open the show while looking over his sunglasses like he's the coolest guy ever? That? Well, that was what the endings to al ...more
Sheila
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a humorous story of what it is like to be a twice divorced single mother of a certain age. Who knew that Lisa Scottoline could be so funny. Usually she writes such serious mystery/crime novels. I enjoyed it and gave it ★★★★'s.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This is a collection of very short (3 pages or so) pieces from Scottoline's "Chick Wit" column for The Philadelphia Inquirer. Fun to have around and pick up when you have a few minutes to read here and there. She covers everything from shopping for undies to losing her father to cancer.

As with any such collection, my appreciation of these little pieces was uneven. The unevenness was even more pronounced for me with this book because Lisa Scottoline and I have some things so strongly in common a
Karen Brooks
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of columns that Lisa Scottoline, a novelist, wrote for the Philadelphia Inquirer and, as the title indicates, they are humorous, reflective, self-deprecating and frankly, really heart-warming. They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but this rich glimpse into a thrice-married writer, with one daughter, a feisty aging mother, a gay brother and loads of dogs, is delightful.

From braless emergency room moments, to her mother insisting on wearing a lab coat, to her daughte
Shan
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't think "hilarious" should be used to describe this book, as shown in its GoodReads description. I think the word "humdrum" would be much more suiting.

Frankly, I didn't find Scottoline to be a very good writer. The whole time I was listening to this book, I kept thinking how she could make each chapter more funny, OR how IIIIII could make each chapter more funny. But most of all, how Erma Bombeck could rip this book to shreds.

And each chapter wasn't meant to be funny, which made this book
Mary
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book of essays about what it's like to be an ordinary woman living in the world today (originally published as columns in the Philadelphia Inquirer). I laughed out loud so many times. I also had several moments when I thought to myself, "Wait, someone else feels the same way that I do about X"? (especially about Dead Whoppers in my movie candy, or about how the reason women interrupt each other all the time is because we're so excited about what the other person is saying, we jus ...more
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I have read Lisa Scottoline's mysteries for years, and am always anxious for her next one to come out. So, when I heard that she had published this book, which is not a novel, I was intrigued. I finally got it from the library and was so excited- and, I am happy to say, this book did not only not diappoint me, but exceeded my expectations.
This collection of "Chick Wit" columns allow us a peak inside Scottoline's life. I must say, I felt that I knew her family, and recognized them (or parts of th
Cory
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'd never actually read a Lisa Scottoline book before, but then I met her and realized how delightful and funny she is. This book was the perfect introduction to her, as it's a collection of personal essays previously published in the newspaper. Although stylistically they got a little grating toward the end, all in all I found these funny and touching.
Mary Kay Woodruff
Dec 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club-reads
I did not care for this book. I have read some of the chapters in the newspaper column. The snippets were ok for a newspaper. I just did not care for this as a book - just a collections. I want to read something that makes me want to read and escape, enjoy. This was just not for me. I could not bring myself to finish this book.

Karen Fisher
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I find grammatical errors distracting & this book contained an unusually large amount of them. It seems like a self published book instead of the work of an experienced author. Puzzling, but not enough to read more of her work. Lisa needs a new editor.
Gigi
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such relatable stories. I just love Lisa Scottoline's openness and humor.
Becky
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful humorous view into the antics of the Flying Scottline's.
Ann-Marie
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Good audiobook. Got lots of work done while listening to this. I’ll happily listen to more of her nonfiction.
Kelly 💜☕️
Such a light & fun listen! The author narrates the audio herself with her Philadelphia Italian-American accent that's very quaint. This set of essays meanders on many topics which is why I tagged it as slice of life. Scottoline refers to her first two husbands as "Thing 1" and "Thing 2". She talks a lot about her daughter Francesca, who provided insights from the younger point-of-view.

This audio kept me occupied while I was doing manual labor and made me smile. I will be continuing with thi
Colleen Scidmore
I give Why My Third Husband Will be a Dog about a 3.5. This is the first book I've read of Lisa Scottoline's and I know that isn't her usual type of writing she does, I've seen a ton of her books at Target and Barnes & Nobles and I even have some on my TBR list I believe, but I just never have picked one up. This book looked light and humorous and perfect as an audio book to listen to while I do things around the house.

This book is a collection of her articles that she had written for The P
Linda
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For those, who have ever played the imaginary dinner party... in a heartbeat I would invite Lisa S. as the Guest of Honor.

This collection of essays and some written by her daughter were as perfect as one could hope for. There is a "something" for everyone. Mother-daughter, pets, best friends forever, family (especially loved Mother Mary), and the ex-husbands. I "spoil" on if you're looking for a tell-all on the husbands... it isn't going to happen and this was good news.

The essays are fun to re
Jan C
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan C by: Kirsti
Shelves: non-fiction, humor, 2013
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed this book which was taken from her columns in a local newspaper in Philadelphia. Tales mainly centering on her daughter and her menagerie, ranging from dogs to cats to chickens to, I think, ducks.

The attcks of the spiders when she merely opened the door had me laughing out loud.

"A best friend is just another name for accessory after the fact."

"Little Tony has his own seat next to mine, and his side of the car with his dog toys ... bottle of water ... with paper cup
Margaret
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was captivated by these short clever essays. I may start going to the Philadelphia Inquirer on line to see if I can find them. I laughed out loud a lot while I read it which made it worth every minute in a month that has had few laughs so far. I love Lisa's novels, especially the ones that feature Mary, who may be Lisa with a gun. I think I'll enjoy them even more in the future. Usually when authors step out of their familiar genre, the resulting books are less successful. But, this was a blas ...more
Mel
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
I am amused by the publisher's use of the word "hilarious" to describe this book. The essays are sometimes cute, often frantic but not particularly funny as I understand the word. She clearly loves her daughter but the columns about their relationship aren't all that interesting. I would imagine raising a child on her own was a challenge but referring to her ex-husbands as "Thing One and Thing Two" is just juvenile.
Meiwilli
Mar 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
"So you know where this is going right?" Urgh! That phrase got on my last nerve! I really didn't like this book. What the hell was I thinking?! I guess the title and the cute dog on the front said "read me, I'm worth it". NOT! I expected humor. Instead it was a about a woman, her mother, brother and daughter and ex-husbands that I couldn't care less about minus humor. Unfortunately I brought this book...so you know where this is going right...in the trash!

• I Still Have It . . . I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It: Confessions of a Fiftysomething
  • I See Rude People: One Woman's Battle to Beat Some Manners Into Impolite Society
  • Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank: And Other Words of Delicate Southern Wisdom
  • Wiped!: Life with a Pint-size Dictator
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Don't Fight With the Garden Hose and Other Lessons I've Learned Along the Way
  • Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding the Shatnerverse and the World at Large
  • My Formerly Hot Life: Dispatches from Just the Other Side of Young
  • Just When I Thought I'd Dropped My Last Egg: Life and Other Calamities
  • Retail Hell
  • American Thighs: The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Preserving Your Assets
  • Dog Whisperer
  • It's Not That I'm Bitter . . .: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Visible Panty Lines and Conquered the World
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: I Can't Believe My Dog Did That!: 101 Stories about the Crazy Antics of Our Canine Companions
  • Remember Me: A Lively Tour of the New American Way of Death
  • Don't Leave Me This Way
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
Lisa Scottoline is The New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 30 novels, including her #1 bestselling, AFTER ANNA. She also writes a weekly column with her daughter Francesca Serritella for the Philadelphia Inquirer titled “Chick Wit” which is a witty and fun take on life from a woman’s perspective. These stories, along with many other never-before-published stories, h ...more

The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman (9 books)
  • My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman
  • Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter
  • Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim
  • Have a Nice Guilt Trip
  • Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat?: True Stories and Confessions
  • I've Got Sand In All the Wrong Places
  • I Need a Lifeguard Everywhere But the Pool
  • I See Life Through Rosé-Colored Glasses (The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman, #9)
“Because the thing about love is that we can't control whether we get it, but we can control whether we give it.” 69 likes
“Women shouldn't iron, ever. It's our wrinkles that make us interesting.” 44 likes