Start by marking “Send No Blessings” as Want to Read:
Send No Blessings

Send No Blessings

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"This beautifully written story leaves the reader caring and hoping for the future of Beth and her family and considering the importance of choice in all our lives".--The Horn Book. "Delectable storytelling; notably generous in spirit".--Kirkus Reviews. An ALA Best Book for Young Adults.
Published January 1st 1992 by Puffin Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Send No Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Send No Blessings

Aug 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult
This is a realistic look at life in the Appalachian mountains, and the hard choices that a teen from a large family with little money has to make. Beth wants something different from what her mother has had: a small trailer filled with children and not enough money to provide for them. She knows that getting an education and a good job are the way out, but school is becoming harder, and it would be so much easier to marry Harless, the young man she starts dating.

This was a bittersweet book, and
Samantha Weatherford
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adult grls
When i read this book it was an eye opener to me about the way some people live. i never thought that poeple could be so cruel to their children, or that too many children could be harmful to a family. it is a good story about growing up, finding love, but most of all she found herself. I reread this book alot because the life she lived was so interesting to me and i put myself in her shoes. hey family truly was poor, and even things as simple as making flowers to earn money would take presidenc ...more
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Found this on the library shelf at the school where I teach grade six. A sweet story about making choices. I thought that it might prove interesting to some of my students, but with the references to typing class, dicta phones etc as well as the unfamiliar setting of West Virginia, many may not have the persistence. Along with the theme of teenage sex and marriage it is probably better for older students. They have all been reading The Hunger Games and the Fault in the Stars(?), so the innocent ...more
Krystal Li
Beth is the oldest child in her family. She has to take care of her 8 siblings. At the beginning, she thought her parents didn't love her and forced her to leave from high school even though she was just 15 years-old.They wanted Beth to go to work earlier because their family was poor.Beth is good at typing,her father considered she should drop out her school if she is not the top student in her school.
Later, Beth was fall in love with Harless. He told her that her father loves her so much in
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I'd recommend for teens because it discusses choices they must make. However, I think many teens may be unable to relate to it because it is set in Appalachia, and often they are unable to "see beyond the setting." The issues of choosing marriage, going to college, having children, and even just finishing high school are issues faced by teens anywhere.
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It definetly wasn't the best book i've ever read, but still I don't regret reading it. I liked it fine. I guess it just wasn't one of those books that have you on the edge of your seat, but it was still well written.
Nov 12, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
well i just gt this book so far because the name of the cover looks so insteresting because it's called send no blessings and so far i kind of can connect to that title and hoping this story can relate to me. so i will be sending up dates on this book.
Another read from my teens. I remember that it had *gasp* sex!
Good book. I kind of wish for either a different ending, or a sequal.
Michelle Koch
Aug 14, 2012
Kristy Thompson
Feb 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...