Start by marking “Wolven” as Want to Read:

(Wolven #1)

A boy and his eccentric grandparents live near a strange wood, apparently cursed. He longs for a dog - but the dirty ungainly farm creature finally found by his grandfather hardly fits his image of the perfect pet. But it's only when his dog starts to grow human ears that he realises that something is seriously wrong.
Published July 1st 2009 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about Wolven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolven

Start your review of Wolven
Nicola Mansfield
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: I love stories of shape shifters and I'm always open to a fun werewolf story.

First impression, the cover. Maybe it's just me, but I really find that dog/wolf face goofy looking and had the idea that this was going to be a humorous Middle Grade werewolf story with lots of humour and a little of the scary. The first few chapters humorously held up my belief but as the book progressed there soon came a time when I realized this book was serious.

Nat adopts a strange looking mutt
Katrina
May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-lit, fantasy
I admit I have a bit of a weak spot for werewolf stories; I'm fascinated by the idea of beings who are not-quite-human (or maybe a little more-than-human), and the ways in which they're inevitably ostracized by "normal" society. It's the main reason I love superhero movies, particularly ones like X-Men where they leverage a fantasy-based narrative to poke holes in societal issues.

So, I had vague hopes for this book and was looking for, at the worst, a light, fun read. It started off on a
Taras
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book a lot, though it is very confusing. Sometimes I don't know whats going on. But from what I understand this boy has a dog. But one day his dog turns into a human being and Nat ( the boy) understands that he's in a big government conspiracy where they want to make wolven weapons. He realizes that his dog is actually a Wolven. Wolven can shape shift between wolves and human with no problem. Now Nat and his wolf/human have adventures and they need to be careful so no one can take ...more
Brit
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good for kids, kind of boring.
Jay
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read which kept me wanting more, Wolven introduces us to a different side to the supernatural and that everything isn't always as they first appear to be.

What I feel needed to be improved on was how easily the police man accepted the way Apple commanded the birds to attack Lucas Scale and then disperse with little more than a wave of her hand.
I would recommend this novel to those who enjoy a semi-light read as well as a little scary, yet also funny novel.
Carro Herdegen
Language - G, Sexual Content - G; Violence - G
Nat and his mom are moving into his mom's parents house. When they get there his grandparents decide to get him a dog. They find Woody and Nat chooses to get him. That night Nat discovers that Woody isn't just a dog, he's a wolven and is being hunted.
It was a pretty interesting book, just really slow. I really enjoyed the idea of wolvens but again, it was just too slow for me to actually enjoy.
Reviewed for https://kissthebook.blogspot.com/
Nadine
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book....not completely what I was thinking. I did like the characters and the writing was well done. The ending wasn’t what I was expecting...but that means I need to read book 2... haha!!! Happy Reading :)
Jdtolbert2003yahoo.com
This is a book about the bond between a boy and his best friend/dog. How government agencies are all out to capture you and experiment on you and how your family will always come to your rescue.

Sort of. I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and had paranormal stuff (which I like).
Katie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, ever since I was a child and read this book for the first time. Even reading it again as an adult it doesn't disappoint!
Blake harting
I so far thing this book is fine. I am on page 10. They live on a farm. The characters are nat,Alec,Jude,mick,and Tate.
Adam Bolander
Wolven, by Di Toft
Review by Adam Bolander

I’ll admit, the only reason I bought Wolven was because I’d already bought an ARC copy of the sequel, Wolven: The Twilight Circus, from a used bookstore. The story sounded interesting enough, a boy buys a dog from a local farmer, and is shocked when he discovers the dog can turn into a boy at points in time. The dog, who he named Woody, is actually a Wolven, an ancient race of shape shifting warriors that used to keep the peace. Unfortunately, those times
Ella
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wolven is a book about a wolf boy named Woody trying to outrun Scale (The main antagonist). Woody was hidden in a barn but he was only a little pup so he started growing and it was harder for the barn keeper to hide him. Nat (the main character) goes to the barn with his parents and takes Woody home. Nat soon finds out that he’s not a dog and that he’s a wolven. Scientist want to take him away from Nat so they have to find out how to hide away.

In my opinion Wolven is a pretty good book. There's
Marianna
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a fun read about warewloves that not scary
Full Review

The story starts out funny and light hearted. Then it quickly got serious. Both humor and seriousness are balance out well. I like how Nat and Woody becomes friends. They both joke and play around like any best friends would do. This is one the few books where the kids act like kids and are not all serious all the time.

There too many guys that they all don’t feel fully devolve. There needs to be a little more build to who they are and what makes them that way. The writing is
Sandy
One of my students allowed me to borrow this book from her to read, so I certainly wasn't going to turn her down on the offer. It was an interesting book, though far too advanced, I felt, for a third grade student. The vocabulary would be a significant challenge, and the content of werewolves is a bit too frightening for students that young. A boy named Nat has moved into his grandparents' house with his mother. They decide to let him get a puppy, but the local farmer who had advertised a German ...more
Chase
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
By: Di Toft

A Review By: Chase Pixley

The minute Nat Carver saw the dog, he knew that Woody was… different than other dogs. For one, the scraggly pooch telepathically shows Nat a picture of Woody drowned, convincing Nat that he had to save the dog. More suspicions are raised when Nat’s family finds the word “Proteus” (a shape-changing Greek god) tattooed on the back of the dog’s neck. Nat is even more surprised when, one night, Woody turns into a human boy! According to Woody, he is not a
Nathan North
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
This book was . . . . . . . forgettable.

I made it my goal to read 52 books this year, so I have been picking them up like crazy. I thought this one sounded interesting, so I picked it up. After reading 100 pages, I was still waiting for the story to start. Then I hit 200 and realized it was never really going to happen. I finished it last night and went to sleep with a shrug.

The difficult thing about reviewing this book was that I don't have many thoughts about it at all. I feel no emotion
Mike Migliore
I was playing my last basketball game playing of the season and the eclipse team never won a game yet. We were determined to win our first and last game. We worked hard and never gave up and we ended up winning. Just like my eclipse team Wolven is a book about a shape shifting being called a Wolven. Woody is super intelligent and is telepathic. The only problem is he doesn’t know if he is the only Wolven left in his tribe. He never gives up and is not going to stop until he finds the truth of if ...more
Nina
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw the book “Wolven” lying on one the shelves at the English bookstore, I picked it up and immediately started to read the description on the back. It sounded like a fun shape shifter story, one that I would enjoy reading during my breaks from studying.

Nat is a young boy that could use a backbone. I started to like him, but then after some guys bullied him, he didn’t do anything to stop it. He just gave everything they asked from him and thought that was the right way to handle things.
Beaulah Pragg
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, easy read for children and early teens that left me pleasantly surprised. Wolven was a cute and amusing story about a wolf who turns human at the full moon and a human boy who becomes his best friend. The thing that impressed me most was how well the 'wolven' character, Woody, blended into the setting and surroundings. I could easily imagine a poor, lost wolf boy living in Temple Gurney - a town a few miles out of London.

Woody was, by far, my favourite character, though I admit the
Joshua
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nat wants a puppy to keep him company, but the dog he gets is a enormous beast named Woody with spooky orange eyes. But Nat is quite sure that he has saved Woody’s life by selecting him for a pet. Because he was about to get rid of him. Nat is in for the shock of his life when his new friend turns into a wolf. a werewolf out of legend, born of a royal breed that served as the king’s own time of war. In fact, Woody’s ancestry had taken part in battle.

But now Woody is the last of his kind, hunted
Raymond
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since the Harry Potter books I've become a fantasy nut. Not the high fantasy, but the more down to earth kind, usually about extraordinary people and events placed in little villages, and this book isn't an exception.
It all starts when Nat gets a big dog from a farm. His family wants a smaller one, but for some reason Nat cannot pass on the deal to adopt the big wolf-like dog with the name Woody. He looks ugly and he smells, but there's also something gentle about him. Nat doesn't know what
Jacey
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
I picked up a handful of children's books by authors I didn't already know almost at random, just as an exercise in seeing what was currently on the shelves. This is about a boy called Nat Carver who is promised a puppy by his grandpa to give him an interest (Nat and his Mum are staying with grandparents because dad is on the run in Europe for financial troubles he got himself into by accident). The puppy is a full grown scruffy mutt called Woody who turns out to be a wolven – a shapechanger – ...more
Cindy
Had I just read the first 60 pages of this book I would have loved it. I thought the idea was new and refreshing for the age group it was targeted to. Then the last half of the book happened. Pages 61-200 were just alright and the last part was terrible. The author tries so hard to create these amazing eye-popping situations for the characters that it doesn't make any sense. Every situation is one step "Crazier" than the next with no real development. In fact some of the situations just came out ...more
Colleen
If Zach were reviewing this book I think he'd give it 5 stars; he loved it! He recommended it to me after finishing it himself, so I gave it a shot. It is a clever idea for a book-- about a boy who gets a dog who turns out to actually be a "Wolven" (which is a reverse werewolf--dog to human). The story is kind of a weird mix of sci-fi and fantasy, and has a lot of holes that could have been easily filled in to make a richer, broader story. But it was fun and action packed enough for my ...more
Linda
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Nat's grandfather offers to get him a dog, Nat choses a unlikey wolf-like creature named Woody. Dealing with a drooly, uncoordinated behemoth can be unusual (and funny) enough, but Nat later is surprised to find out that Woody is a shapeshifter and can turn into a drooling, naked human boy. Woody is the last of a legendary were-wolf-type creature descended from noble ancestors who helped Richard the Lion-hearted during the Crusades. And now Woody is being hunted by a rougue government ...more
Empire of Books
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Wolven is very funny in places, and is a brilliant read for young teens. Whilst I enjoyed it, there are some parts of the book that feel quite young.

My thoughts on it are quite mixed to be honest, and I'm not entirely sure what to say about it. Whilst I loved it, and thought it amazing, now after a little time away from the book, I don't know if I feel the same way. It is still a good book. But parts feel clunky and there are a few plot holes. Still, it's good for a light read I suppose.

I do
Cboatfield11
It’s about a boy Nat who gets a dog only it’s not a dog, it’s a Wolven. A wolven is a shape-shifter, he can change from wolf to boy. Nat and Woody, the wolven are not safe. Some bad people are after Woody. He is part of a government sponsored experiment that has fallen into malevolent hands. Their plan is to “recruit” beasts and unknowing humans and turn them into indestructible bio-weapons.
Nat is an owner who remains loyal to his “dog.” Give this to kids who want a dog story with a little
Won as a Goodreads giveaway.

What a fun middle grade story!

When Nat gets a dog from his granddad, he has no idea that it is a wolven, nor that it will get him involved in all sorts of trouble and adventure.

Toft really moves the plot along, has an amiable writing style, and a knack for creating fun characters.

The wildly over-the-top climax has a few moments that made me stop and go - wait! That was never mentioned before! - but they didn't affect major plot points.

I'd recommend this to any 3-6
Luis
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Science fiction is a genre that controlls you and sometimes makes you go back in time. If you think so go read Wolven: For 5th time, i9s not terror is just an amazing adventure when a brave kid wants to protect his doggy that later appears to be a Wolven not a werewolf. Looks a good life but were did that Wolven come from? Figure that out on your own. Who tries to capture him? Some wer... Anyways if you read this book and you like it, comment something maybe. Or what happens? Figure that out ...more
Dap_Deaija
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wolven is a fictional book, its author is DI TOFT and its basically about this kid named Nat. Nat has a dog, but it's actually a wolven (wolven is like a werewolf but you take form of a wolf like creature). His dog or "wolven" is a government experiment that escaped, so Nat and his wolven try and figure things out and save innocent lives while running from the government.

>My favorite part is when Nat gets turned into a wolven
>This book isn't very emotional
>I love this book and series,
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Christmas Spirit (Haunting Danielle Book 23)
  • Ghost Bully
  • Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Curse of Hollister House (A Cat in the Attic Book, #1)
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • Death and Doubloons
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • Snow Cold Case (The Mystic Snow Globe Mystery, #1)
  • Snow Way Out (Mystic Snow Globe Mystery, #2)
  • Snow Regrets (The Mystic Snow Globe Mystery Series #3)
  • The Wedding
  • The Slay of the Santas: The Jennifer Hunter Mysteries (The Jennifer Hunter Series Book 1)
  • Picture Imperfect (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries Book 7)
  • Der Werwolf: The Annals of Veight Volume 3
  • What Katy Did
  • Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread #1)
Di Toft was born in the black and white olden days of 1958, in Watford, Herts. A move to Somerset ten years later reinforced her love of the countryside and animals.

At school, she bribed friends to read her early stories, which were usually about vampires or ponies, or people being electrocuted in the bath. Some stories featured vampires and ponies, which wasn’t always a popular combination.

Wolven (3 books)
  • Wolven: The Twilight Circus (Wolven, #2)
  • Bad Wolf Rising (Wolven, #3)