Start by marking “The Gift” as Want to Read:
The Gift

The Gift

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  23,343 ratings  ·  1,687 reviews
Step into the magical world of Cecelia Ahern.
If you could wish for one gift this Christmas, what would it be?Everyday Lou Suffern battled with the clock. He always had two places to be at the same time. He always had two things to do at once. When asleep he dreamed. In between dreams, he ran through the events of the day while making plans for the next. When at home with h
Published October 20th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift, please sign up.
Desiree Streib I wondered the same thing, but he was the one who delivered the news to Ruth and the family after the accident. Wouldn't Ruth know him? If not, then A…moreI wondered the same thing, but he was the one who delivered the news to Ruth and the family after the accident. Wouldn't Ruth know him? If not, then Ahern left us with a whole bunch of unanswered (and unnecessary) questions. I personally think it's just someone else in the same area but agree that it's a little confusing.
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bernie Morris Gabe was an angel.

·  23,343 ratings  ·  1,687 reviews

Start your review of The Gift
Fatema Meamari
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fatema by: Ghaida Abdul Rahman
Cecelia Ahern is a very clever, creative writer. I really admire her work. It's pretty awesome. When you look at her covers, you don't expect much (At least that's how it was with me). You expect just another romantic comedy with all the gooey, cheesy, lovey-dovey romantic parts. Trust me, that is FAR from the case.
Her books are wonderful. They deal with serious issues and serious problems. Real-life, every day shit. She also throws in a little bit of magic and intrigue. Her books have this cre
Mary S. R.
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a heartfelt Christmas read
5 STARS! Perfect for Christmas.
My first book by Cecelia and I LOVED it.

A lesson finds the common denominator and links us all together, like a chain. At the end of that chain dangles a clock, and on the face of the clock registers the passing of time. We see it and we hear it, the hushed tick-tock, but often we don’t feel it. Each second makes its mark on every single person’s life—comes and then goes, quietly disappearing without fanfare, evaporating into air like steam from a piping hot Chr
Ashton Jade Gibbs

The Gift – Cecelia Ahern

Admittedly, I, like so many others before me, seem to associate Cecelia Ahern with lovely, girly books, especially with the gorgeous covers her books always have. This is far from the case. Her books are incredibly touching, the writing is clever and this book in particular is a fabulous example of how her books can be moralistic with a magical touch.

The Gift centres on the story of Lou Suffern, as told through the eyes of someone else. Lou is your stereotypical over-
~The Bookish Redhead~
I actually received this book as a gift last Xmas, but, it isn't the sort of book that I'd go and purchase myself, so I suppose I've been putting it off. I have seen Cecelia Ahern's works in the bookshops, but never, until now, read one of her works.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't amazing or anything, but it is evident that Ahern is a wonderfully creative writer, and instead of some cheesy romance like I was expecting, there were some real life issues in
Cecelia Ahern's The Gift is a lovely addition to holiday fiction. It leaves readers with a beautiful message about how precious and impactful the gift of time is. Not just time on this earth, but the time you purposefully set aside for those who give your life quality and purpose. Nurture those relationships before you lose them. The Gift is worth the read. Check it out!

My favorite quote:
Sara
This book is for you if:
you are in the mood for a good old Christmas-ly cry
you feel introspective and open to reflect on the sense of life
you want to reconnect with family values
you want something that will remind you what are the important things in life
This book is NOT for you if:
you need something easy-breezy with no drama
you DO NOT want to cry
you're looking for more of a happily ever after novel
you are looking for a girl-meets-boy novel

I enjoyed this book, it reduced me into tears, I was o
Anna
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
I found that book today on a bookself and it reminded me of some great time I had during reading it...

Lou is the main character, who is an arrogant and busy 24/7 man. He is not happy with his life, he always wants more, he tries to do more, but actually he forgets what he already has.... especially his family: his wife Ruth and their two young children. Especially his one year old son is crying when he approaches, not recognizing any familiarity with his father.

Life goes on, until one day, befo
Cri (PaperbacksandPizza)
English/Italiano

First of all, I have to say I am not a native english speaker so, please, I prefer to not be attacked, if I made any mistakes. Instead of do that, it would be nice if you corrected me, thank you :)

“Time is more precious than gold, more precious than diamonds, more precious than oil or any valuable treasures. It is time that we do not have enough of; it is time that causes the war within our hearts, and so we must spend it wisely.”

Here we go again with another Cecelia

Julie
Oct 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted something easy to read on public transport and this certainly ticked that box. I finished it before even adding it to my 'currently reading' on this site!

The protagonist is fallible, something I always think makes a book interesting, and all the characters are somewhat believable, but it was very hard to find anything warm or likeable in them. The people and the settings made me feel uncomfortable somehow. Perhaps they was supposed to.

I suppose it's easy to be cynical about the characte
Mochizuki
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
After reading Cecelia Ahern's novels 'Book of Tomorrow' and 'P.S I Love You', I was looking forward to reading another. Her books are so easy to read and leave you feeling really uplifted and The Gift definitely does that.
I was a little dubious about reading a Christmas novel in July but towards the end I really got into the festive spirit! An utterly fantastic book that gives out a fabulous message about the gift of time which really made me think as I turned each page. The descriptive writing
Liberty K
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book guys, THIS BOOK hit me right in the feels! It deserves one thousand stars not only five!
This book was everything I wanted and I didn't even know. It was the perfect holiday Christmassy read but at the same time not cheesy with the happily ever after effect but very helpful to understand that time with the loved ones is the only gift anyone ever have in life!
Colleen Scidmore
Actual rating 3.50-3.75 stars

This book was so much better than I had anticipated. I have read one other book by Cecelia Ahern just a couple of months ago and I was pretty disappointed. So when starting this book I was expecting the same kind of outcome. But I was pleasantly surprised.
This book was pretty well written.
I loved the beginning how it starts off on one story that I thought the book was about but ends up being taking you down a whole different route.

I really hated Lou in the beginnin
Marjolein
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

THANKS FOR MAKING ME CRY, CECELIA!

Damn. This book was not what I expected at all. It's not a happy-go-lucky, fluffy, romantic Christmas book. It's almost the opposite. It's basically heartbreaking. Throughout the entire book I couldn't stand main character Lou and the choices he made at first, but at the same time I was hoping he would change. For the sake of his wife, his children, his parents and his brother and sister. And when I started liking him near the end of the
Iris Blobel
Aug 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for Cecelia Ahern Fans!

I loved the book because after I had read the previous few books, I fell in love with Cecelia's stories yet again.

It's a common story: a busy husband and father, with a big career, wants everything, yet bigger and better, and not getting his priorities right. His family and health are suffering. Lou at some stage lost the ability to live until he meets Gabriel, or Gabe, a man living on the streets. After this his life changes forever....

Cecilia Ahern always add
Petra
This book is pure magic, just what I needed
Nicka (With love, Nicka)
"Time is more precious than gold, more precious than diamonds, more precious than oil or any valuable treasures. It is time that we do not have enough of; it is time that causes the war within our hearts, and so we must spend it wisely.

Time cannot be packaged and ribboned and left under trees for Christmas morning.

Time can't be given. But it can be shared."

Yet again another beautifully crafted novel by my favorite author Cecelia Ahern!

The Gift follows the story or should I say stories of a very
Nicolette
THE GIFT
By Cecelia Ahern
(HarperCollins)

THIS book caught my eye with its silver wrapping-paper effect hardcover of shiny snowflakes and bright red ribbon tied in a bow to look like the perfect gift.

This touching novel focuses on a man who comes to realise that some parts of his life can only bring him to ruin.

Businessman Lou Suffern always has to be in two places at the same time. He catches the beginning of one meeting or function so that he can be there at the end of another.

His womanising and
Jenny
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland, christmas
On the back of this book it says "An instant holiday classic" so you think you'll be in for a nice and cozy type of read. Heck no! I mean I would say 95% of the book is great but as soon as you realize how it's going to end you're like "WTF?" I stayed up late finishing it b/c I kept thinking there is no way it's going to end like I think it is but it did. Yes, the overall message is great but the outcome of this particular story is not something you want on your mind as you're trying to fall asl ...more
Adam
Aug 24, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Glass Fairy
You know those books that leave you stripped bare emotionally? That have you sat, weeping, questioning every choice you have made or are about to make?
This is one of those books.

Lou is a very successful man, he has a fantastic job, in line for a huge promotion, he has a beautiful wife and two wonderful children, and every day he ruins it, by choosing the unimportant things in life over the important ones, Gabe, a lovely homeless man, enters his life and helps him, Lou doesn't understand or even
Kimberley
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was just disappointed with this book, I thought it was going to be a nice happy read but I just hated the main character and I just couldn't wait for the book be over. I don't think I've ever felt so much hatred towards a character but his personality and actions really ruined the book for me and I just didn't care whether or not he would end up choosing his family because they clearly didn't deserve him.

Read more on my blog at: https://bookgeek2015.wordpress.com/
Fatima Farzeen
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have a copy, pick it up! Please do. It's a tad bit slow in the beginning but you won't regret it. Your "time" will not be spent in vain.

I am still reeling from the ending. Such a beautiful book! Cecelia sure has a knack for delivering simple stories weaved in her typical, captivatingly magical and heartfelt writing.
Christine (KizzieReads)
Wow!! I didn't think I would get all the feels with this book, but I did. It really makes you take a step back and look at your life, and how time and one simple action can change your life and the lives around you so very drastically.
Ann
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, imaginative story! I was reminded a little bit of both A Christmas Carol and It’s a Wonderful Life (although Scrooge at his worst was more likable than Lou throughout most of the book). It’s a tearjerker.
Ruzaika
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another version of this review can be found on http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-...

“One thing of great importance can affect a small number of people. Equally so, a thing of little importance can affect a multitude. Either way, a happening big or small can affect an entire string of people.”

Before I start my review I simply have to tell you this: Cecelia Ahern is an extremely brilliant writer. I've read one book by her before this- If You Could See Me Now and I liked it a lot, but it was som
Stephanie Forster
I'll admit that I found Cecelia Ahern to be a better writer than I assumed that she would be. I've not read any of her other books before and from the genre she's known for, chick-lit, I was simply expecting something simple and fun. This book dealt with some every day problems and issues and it was trying to teach us something. The story is set in modern day Dublin, nearing Christmas, and the story is well set with clear, visible descriptions.
In this book, Ahern is trying to tell a story about
Melissa
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What do you get when you combine George Bailey, Ebenezer Scrooge, and Don Draper?

You get Lou Suffern.

Lou's the main character in this Christmas-novel-with-a-timeless-message by Irish author Cecelia Ahern, whose books I tend to enjoy. (See my review of There's No Place Like Here.) I'm usually not a Christmas book reader, but I was in the mood for such a novel this past week. When I saw this on display at the library, I grabbed it because Ahern's novels tend to be light reads (guilty pleasures,
Fraffee
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Fraffee by: My wonderful English teacher's DEAR reading list
This book truly stuck a nerve and one of my heart strings at the same time. After reading the book, I was put in a state of shock. But it was a good kind of shock. If you were to ask me if this book changed my life then I would say that in a way, it did. Don't misunderstand me, though. This book did not turn my world upside down and left me breathless. But what it really did was even more amazing. It opened my eyes.

I can confidently say that Cecelia Ahern is a gifted writer. To be honest, I had
Mo
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was excellent, even though it was not the cozy / feel-good story I was expecting. If you're looking for an easy-breezy Christmas story, look elsewhere.
Alissa Patrick
A decent Christmas read about the importance of time, and how you don't realize how little you have of it, until it's gone or almost gone.
gift items suppliers in abu dhabi 1 1 Apr 24, 2019 09:38PM
List of Toys and Gifts to give to a 10-year old boy 1 1 Mar 02, 2019 09:57AM
Custom Pillow Case 1 2 Nov 27, 2018 08:00PM
South African Boo...: The Gift (Spoilers) 1 4 Nov 23, 2018 04:41AM
The Art of Picking the Right Gift For Him or Her 1 1 Oct 14, 2018 10:43PM
The value of Corporate Gift Supplying 1 2 Sep 17, 2018 06:03AM
Check Your American Express Gift Card Balance - Updated | You Must See!!! 1 1 Sep 12, 2018 01:41AM

• Who's That Girl?
  • Strictly Love
  • Mad About You
  • At the Corner of Wall and Sesame
  • Split
  • Bille und Zottel Sammelband 7 (Bille und Zottel, #19-21)
  • Bille und Zottel Sammelband 5 (Bille und Zottel, #13-15)
  • Bille und Zottel Sammelband 3 (Bille und Zottel, #7-9)
  • Bille und Zottel Sammelband 6 (Bille und Zottel #16-18)
  • Bille und Zottel Sammelband 2 (Bille und Zottel, #4-6)
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.