Start by marking “New American Table” as Want to Read:
New American Table

New American Table

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
From the winner of Top Chef Masters An affectionate, thoroughly diverse tribute to the modern American table

"I'll introduce you to friends I've met along the way who have shared their foods, told me their stories and inspired me with their passion. With recipes that range from elaborate entrees to simple snacks, I give an overview of American food as I see it and, hopefu
Published October 9th 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about New American Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New American Table

Denise
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
New American Table is a gorgeous, large format cookbook filled with lavish photography. There are not only sumptuous, color photos of many of the dishes, but also photos of markets, ingredients, people cooking and people eating. I had not heard of Marcus Samuelson but his recipes are unique, full of interesting and different flavors and flavor combinations.
I cooked three recipes from New American Table. Farro-Orange Salad was a hearty, filling salad with a well rounded flavor and texture. The co
Jerrold
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't read many cookbooks, so I don't know if the little "introductions" he gives to dishes is commonplace, but I enjoyed that aspect of the book. Memories and stories for the dishes were wonderful (his family and friends are throughout). The photos of dishes are excellent as well, although I really wish there were at least one image of every recipe. I found myself only making dishes I saw a photo of, unknowingly ignoring the others that were text only. There are also some recipes that strayed ...more
Antonia
Sep 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook contains recipes for fusion cuisine with a lot of exotic ingredients and fairly long prep and cooking times. It may be a great cookbook for someone who is an epicurean, likes to spend time cooking. The pictures are lovely and represent the multiculturalism of large American cities (strangely, no pictures of the actual food are present). The cooking instruments are standard (knives, blenders, pots and pans) and available in most households. However, the recipes are complicated with ...more
Mary
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Have been cooking a lot from this book and really like the clean, tasty results! When I first got the book and perused through it, I was surprised that there weren't a lot of photos of the food, now I know! The recipes are mighty tasty, but not photogenic. Probably won't be posting too many on Foodo.
Terri Jacobson
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This is so much more than a cookbook! The narratives make it a really personal experience, there are tips and comments about almost every recipe, and the photography is absolutely beautiful. Most of the recipes are doable for any home cook--I came away with many new dishes to try. All 3 of this author's cookbooks have been amazing.
E
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great! I am giving it a 4 star rating only because some of the flavor combinations which are so unique get a little crazy on a few recipes. Very unique and easy cook book (rare from some of these famous chefs.)
Amy Lutchen
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous stories and wonderful, innovative recipes from a very humble and inspiring individual. I captured his attention by squealing in the audience and he actually came over, smiled, and shook my hand. *blushing*
Sam
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Beautiful cookbook. Pretty pictures. A wide range of recipes from around the world. Hard cover and very heavy. Also, I'm a pescaterian so there are many things in here I can't eat. But the things I can eat look delicious.
Tiffany Baker
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can not wait to cook with all these amazing spices and so much seafood. This food looks amazing but so simple to try.
Janet
Nov 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Fascinating potpourri of eclectic recipes that I will no doubt try to recreate, even if I never make it to his restaurant, Aquavit.
Sara
Mar 18, 2011
Kim
Feb 18, 2012
Peter
rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2012
Jan 16, 2013
Krysta
Jul 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Marcus Samuelsson is the acclaimed chef behind Red Rooster Harlem, Ginny’s Supper Club, Streetbird Rotisserie, and American Table Cafe and Bar by Marcus Samuelsson; a committed philanthropist; and a New York Times-bestselling author. The youngest person to ever receive a three-star review from The New York Times, Samuelsson has won multiple James Beard Foundation Awards including Best Chef: New Yo ...more
More about Marcus Samuelsson