Start by marking “Eye of the Storm” as Want to Read:
Eye of the Storm

Eye of the Storm (Sharon McCone #7)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,023 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Appleby Island, once the magnificent home of a tycoon and planter, is a place of history and mystery in the Sacramento delta. Its story includes hints of tragedy, fueling rumors that ghosts still walk its derelict orchards. Now Patsy McCone, her new lover, and a group of investors are turning the old mansion into an elegant bed and breakfast inn. Summoned by her eccentric ...more
Published March 1st 1989 by Mysterious Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Eye of the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye of the Storm

SuperWendy
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This entry in the Sharon McCone series could be subtitled "Marcia Muller's homage to Gothics." I know I read this 25+ years ago but dang if I remembered any of it - which is kind of shocking since hello, it kind of reads like a Gothic had a baby with a really good episode of Scooby Doo (total Wendy catnip). The only ding against this one? Sharon is literally the only likable character in the bunch. Pretty much all the secondary characters are annoying and shady - which makes for a good mystery b ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
This kinda fizzled instead of popped for me, but it was fun. Strange happenings occur in a Victorian wreck of a mansion isolated on an island accessible by a makeshift ferry only, and the ferry's engine breaks down in the middle of a terrible thunder and lightening wind storm, while a murderer is stalking our favorite detective Sharon McCone and her clients, one of whom is her counterculture sister and her three young children. The sister and her adult business partners want to open a fancy Bed ...more
Vannessa Anderson

Who’s killing the new occupants of Appleby Island?

Sharon McCone’ sister, Pasty, asked her to visit the Island to determine why someone is sabotaging their efforts to open an exclusive Bed and Breakfast. After learning the history of the Island, McCone realized that the killer is not a stranger but is one of the partners. It’s up to McCone to expose the killer and the killer’s reason for wanting everyone off Appleby Island.

Eye of the Storm was a good read and Bernadette Dunne does a good job of s

Beverly
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, crime-series
This is a comforting series, not too demanding, predictable, yet still interesting and not stupid. Sharon McCone, the PI, is a strong silent (ish) woman like Kinsey Milhone. This entry is a bit scary and pretty suspenseful. Sharon is summoned to an island home that her sister and friends are converting to a B&B. In the midst of a dangerous storm who is trying to scare them off the island, and why?
Linda
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
Eye of the Storm is the 8th title in the PI Sharon McCone series. which to date contains more than thirty entries. Sharon is confident in her professional skills, but a bit bummed by the trough into which her personal life seems mired. She hasn't seen her sister Patsy in quite some time, and when she sends an SOS requesting her help, Sharon travels to Appleby's Island in the Sacramento Delta. Patsy is working with friends to convert the decrepit mansion, complete with its own ghost, into a posh ...more
Petula Darling
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
This one was kind of like those episodes of Scooby Doo that had a special guest star, except instead of Meadowlark Lemon or Phyllis Diller showing up to help the Scooby gang, it's Sharon McCone who's dropping in at the haunted mansion.
"And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that meddling P.I.!"
Alton Motobu
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sharon is asked by her sister Patsy to investigate mysterious goings-on at a run down mansion on an island in the Sacramento River delta region where she hopes to open a restaurant with her new boyfriend. A ghostly figure seems to be haunting the area around the mansion. Then a ferryman who runs the only ferry to the island disappears and is presumed dead, and a visitor is smothered to death as he sleeps. A heavy rain storm strands the guests overnight and Sharon finds some old books and documen ...more
John Grazide
That was good old fashioned who-dunnit. When Sharon's sister and business partners start experiencing some odd things, on the island mansion they are renovating, she calls Sharon. And what a quirky bunch. While Sharon is checking around things do not seem too bad, but then the storm comes. And with it, the first body. And as the storm grows so does the tension. Good one.
Sandi Willis
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was a real thriller to me! Being on an island during a horrible storm, with a murderer on the island as well was so intense! There are actually a couple of stories going on in the book but Muller keeps the action going until the very end of the novel! I was stumped by all that was happening on this island. I will now have to read some more of Marcia Muller's books.
Jillian
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I usually enjoy this series, but I found this one to be very frustrating. Far much time spent trying to build suspense when really the storyline was to weak to support it. I have renamed this book Eye of the storm in a tea cup. I will read the next in the series and just hope this was a once off.
Debbie Maclellan
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good right up until the end where it just seems to fizzle out.
Sherri Robinson
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gripping story,would make a great movie.
Gary Branson
I'm not sure about this series, I seem to have to work to get through rather short novels.
Leew49
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
"Eye of the Storm" could almost be one of those Agatha Christie atmospheric brain teasers: Twelve people (ten, if you leave out the two youngest children) are isolated "Ten Little Indians" style in an old mansion on an island in the Sacramento Delta. There's an ancient family curse, a series of sinister and unexplained events, and a powerful storm that cuts off the electricity and all communication with the outside world.

The rest of this review includes spoilers. You have been warned.

But Marcia
Janice
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this audiobook from AudioGo to be reviewed. It was written by Marcia Muller, narrated by Laura Hicks , and originally published in 1989.

Sharon McCone, a private investigator, receives a request from her sister to come to Appleby Island where she and fellow investors have been experiencing some strange events. They are in the process of converting the Appleby mansion into a "Botel", a bed a breakfast accessible only by boat. Does someone want them off the island? Does someone mean to d
Kathleen Hagen
Eye of the Storm: Sharon McCone no. 8, by Marcia Muller, a-minus, Narrated by Laura Hicks, Produced by Audiogo, downloaded from audible.com.

Sharon is visited by her youngest sister, Patsy, who seems quite emotionally upset. Patsy and her new lover have moved to Appleby Island in the California Delta, where a large estate had been built by the previous island’s owner who had committed suicide two years earlier.The island had been sold, and Patsy and her lover were investing in what was going to b
Shannon Appelcline
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Spuddie
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sharon is off to work on a case offered up by her younger sister Patsy, who has sold off her commune/farm and is now part owner of a Bed & Breakfast starting up on an island off the California Delta area. Patsy is concerned as there's been some weird happenings at the B&B, as though someone does not want it to succeed--spooky hauntings, equipment sabotaged, that kind of thing. So she enlists her big sister the PI to help her, and Sharon begs off on a long weekend from her job at All Soul ...more
Ed
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
#7 in the Sharon McCone series. An intriguing visit to the Sacramento Delta area in northern California where Sharon will be call upon to solve what the weather has turned into a locked-room (island) mystery.

Sharon McCone is lured away from San Francisco to what she thinks will be a weekend "busman's holiday." Her sister Patsy has invited her to Appleby Island, once home to an agricultural tycoon, the decrepit mansion is being converted into a bed-and-breakfast inn. Soon after beginning, strange
Jan C
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the Sharon McCone stories. Thought I would go back to one of the earlier ones. Here her sister Patsy has asked for help (hey! My sister used to go by Patsy). She and some friends are going into business together - boatel. I guess you pull up in your boat and stay in a mansion. Don't think I've heard of this, either because I don't own a boat or they don't have them on Lake Michigan.

Anyway, there are strange occurrences on Appleby Island and Patsy is freaked and it is also freaking her k
Fiona
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Marcia Muller wrote the first series of female private detective novels. I love her main character, Sharon McCone. I have been reading this series for many years and was excited to find one that I hadn't read before. It's always interesting to go back and read an earlier book in a series where you have read later ones. For instance, the family dynamics are fascinating. I particularly enjoyed Sharon's relationship with her nephew, Andrew. It was very difficult to guess who was responsible for the ...more
Kristen
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery
In the 7th installment of Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone PI series, Eye of the Storm, Sharon returned back with another early and classic mystery. This time, she headed to the Sacramento Delta area to Appleby Island to help out her sister Patsy out. While her sister and her new lover had turned an old mansion into an elegant B&B, she encountered rumors of ghosts, murder and vandalism. It was up to Sharon to figure it out and stop whoever who was behind it.
Nancy
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another thrilling mystery featuring San Francisco private eye Sharon McCone -- good plot, exciting, fast-paced.

On a pleasure trip to the Sacramento Delta, Sharon McCone encounters ghostly intervention, mysterious vandalism and murder on the site of a decrepit Victorian mansion. Another thrilling mystery featuring San Francisco private eye Sharon McCone.
Joy
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sharon's sister is trying to start a luxury hotel in the Sacramento delta, but someone is sabotaging it. The atmospheric environment upstages every person on the island, even the white-knuckled historical characters. I used to live not far from here, so this meant even more to me than the exciting story ordinarily would have.
Michelle Beese
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! I woke up in the middle of the night and had to get up to finish the book. I have had a summer of Sharon McCone, and this was the best book so far! I'm already on to #9 in the series!
Elizabeth
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mystery
Shelves: women
from the library
7 cassettes 10 hours unabridged? fiction

no sex
strong female characters both good and bad
the detective and the killer were female!

good presentation of children and how to talk to children, especially in an emergency
Lynn
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an early Sharon McCone book. I thought the plot was kind of contrived. I loved the setting though. I didn't realize there was a delta of the Sacramento River. Very interesting area of California.
Karen Cowgill
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good book!!! I did not know who did it...it literally could have been ANYBODY! Good read.
Mbluther
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marcia-muller
Enjoyed reading this book, like this author.
Lisa
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sharon McCone is really filling out as a character. The descriptions are so vivid I can see settings in my head. I'm truly enjoying this author and series!
  • Copy Kat (Kat Colorado, #4)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)
  • Paying the Piper (Elizabeth MacPherson, #4)
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,
More about Marcia Muller

Sharon McCone (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Edwin of the Iron Shoes