Start by marking “The Wolfman” as Want to Read:
The Wolfman

The Wolfman

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  687 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
The Wolfman is one of the great classics of modern horror. Now, based on the upcoming film, is a terrifying new novelization novel written by Jonathan Maberry, based on the screenplay by Andrew Kevin Walker and David Self Based on a motion picture screenplay by Curt Siodmak

Lawrence Talbot's childhood ended the night his mother died.  After he left the sleepy Victorian haml
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published February 2nd 2010 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolfman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wolfman

Supratim
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, horror
I am giving the book a rating of 3.5. I can’t help but think maybe I am being a bit too generous. The thing is – The Wolfman is much better than the horror novels that I have read in the recent past. This novelization of the movie by the same name has been penned by Jonathan Mayberry and to give him his due – the book is so much better than the movie.

The story is mostly set in Blackmoor, England in 1891. To be more precise, in the woods adjoining the village of Blackmoor ( though the place has b
AMEERA
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5
Nezzo
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
„Лорънс се загледа в дървената плоскост и въздъхна.149237z

- Вие, сър – каза той на сянката си, - сте невероятен дръвник.”

Първото, с което успя да ме грабне тази книга, бе не историята й, а начина, по който е написана. Изключително увлекателна на първо място, главите са по страничка или две и те карат да си казваш само още една и после още една.

Но описанията на всичко в нея са изумителни. Привидно кратки, но толкова добре изразени, че те пренасят директно в ситуацията. Представяш си всичко, с
Jay Massiet
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn’t have too many hopes for reading Jonathan Maberry’s novelization of The Wolfman. I had seen the movie a while back and didn’t care for it, not to mention I have never heard of Maberry. I ended up being surprised and thoroughly enjoyed the book. Although a little slow at times, during action scenes this was not the case and it kept me reading. The insight into the characters was intriguing and had me much more involved with the story than the film had.

As soon as I cracked the binding I re
Rob Boley
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Normally I'm not a huge fan of movie novelizations, but when I heard that the awesome Jonathan Maberry did the novelization for this movie, I was intrigued. I love the original Wolfman movie with Lon Chaney Jr, but had mixed feelings about the remake. After reading Maberry's version of the remake, I wish the final product had been more in line with his take on the tale. Truly, Maberry's story has most of the same major plot points as the film, but he adds so much more rich history and descriptio ...more
Alycia
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the film, but after reading the book I wish the movie had kept in time with the book.
J.K. Grice
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I thought the WOLFMAN film remake was excellent, and this novelization closely follows the same formula, with some extra details sprinkled in. A fun read.
Jaryl muynila
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In This Book, The Wolfman Novelized by Jonathan Mabery, It starts off with a man named Ben who was walking in the forest. Ben heard noises and screamed ‘who’s There!?’ Ben was startled but continued walking. Then Ben heard the noise again and turned around to see the face of a Monster. A Wolfman. Ben then Gets Gruesomely Mauled.
Then The Book Flips to the Protagonist Lawrence who is Bens brother. Saddened by his brothers death he goes to Blackmoore where his Father lives to attend bens funeral. O
Nona Mentsel
Книгата ми попадна случайно на една улична сергия за 3 лв и може би именно заради ниската цена я взех, въпреки че това изобщо не е моят жанр книги. И в крайна сметка напълно си заслужи парите :D Нямах никакви очаквания към нея, но историята, макар и простичка и непретенциозно написана, беше доста увлекателна.
Marisol
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jamesc
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a really good love story with an evil twist. The ending was also very sadning but still an awsome book. I think it's a;sp better than the movie. :)
Валентин Попов
Твърде плоско написана, едно пластова история, въпреки че става за четене, но определено ще е далеч по-въздействаща, ако се чете от хора на възраст между 10 и 13 години.
Querus Abuttu
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jack Phoenix
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Leave it to Jonathan Maberry to write a movie novelization that results in a satisfying read, with more atmospheric chills and thrills than its film counterpart.
Yolanda A Dupre
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

While the movie was not as good as the original, the novel is really good. Maberry is an excellent writer. I recommend both the movie and the novel.
Nina Ivanova
Full review/Цялото ревю - click, click

Книгата започва мрачно, красиво - и поддържа тази атмосфера до края. Дали сред разгула на лондонските театри, сам в тъмата на старата гора, зад стените на лудницата или уж в безопасност в дома от детството - това напрежение остава да тегне.
Самата история не ми поднесе големи изненади. Напомни ми малко на готическата "Жената в черно" или "Свърталище на духове", където удоволствието идеше повече от самото четене, отколкото от развитието на сюжета. Беше красива
Dylan
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Doomed by destiny and a curse hanging over his family, Lawrence Talbot is a monster, a man turned into a ferocious beast after he is attacked by a werewolf on the moors near the sleepy Victorian hamlet of Blackmoor. Unable to prevent the change sweeping over him, Talbot is infected by the disease and hunts on the nights of a full moon, his entire being fueled by bloodlust and a desire to feed. Yet through all the turmoil and anguish that surrounds him, Talbot has found love in the strangest plac ...more
Nicholas
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
An evidently uneven script is nonetheless well novelized by author Maberry with a flair for high Gothic romanticism. The central tragic hero of Lawrence Talbot is saddled with a back story and emotional life worthy of something written by Shelly. Sent to an asylum following his beloved mother's death, Talbot returns home to find his brother brutally murdered and his father is still the cold-hearted bastard he remembers. To make matter worse, Talbot begins to lust/love his brother's fiancee, Gwen ...more
Julia
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Изключителен роман.
Рядко се случва авторът да умее да си служи така добре с описанията и толкова силно да те впримчи в историята.
Познатата на повечето хора легенда за върколакът оживява от страниците на тази книга, като в същото време ни кара да се замислим за връзката между човека и животното в нас и вечната борба между разума и инстинкта.Главният герой Лорънс Толбът е разкъсван от угризения, желания и болка и решенията, които трябва да вземе, могат да са фатални.
И в крайна сметка всичко се све
Michael
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I like John Mayberry's writing. His Urban Gothic is one of my favorite horror novels but while novel adaption of The Wolfman is a good read, it tries, a bit too hard, to be a gothic horror novel. The story follows the film very well and there are parts where Mayberry tries to overcome the screenplay's shortcomings but doesn't entirely succeed. Stil, overall, despite this, this adaption is not without its thrills and excitement. The werewolf's romp through a busy London street was written well an ...more
Sheldon M. Robertson
If only the film had been this...

As usual, the book is better. The details of the attacks were gruesomely described, bringing a real sense of the horrors witnesses by the characters. But it was the inner thoughts and feelings of the Beast that could not be portrayed in the movie that made it a satisfying read. In that regard, it reminded me of the novel Thor (basis for the film Bad Moon) and the similar superiority over its movie counterpart.
J.W.
I adore the original Wolfman movies, black and white, when I heard about the remake, I was excited. Unfortunately, I do not really care for Benicio del Toro as a lead, and found that I could barely watch the movie, because he is not easy to look at.

Then I saw this book, figured what the hell.

I adore the writing style of Jonathon Maberry, and the way he literally brought the movie to life within my head but with a face and style that is better fitting.

Bryan
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Werewolves are my creature of the night of choice, and THE WOLFMAN, the film, kicked it off. There wasn't a world in which I wasn't going to watch the remake. When I caught a glimpse of a tie-in novel there may as well have been a full moon. Had to have it.

This has all the allure of the film, coupled with the qualities that define a great book. And, this is. Whether a fan of the film or a lover of werewolf fiction, this is a must read.
Rob Motta
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maberry's writing is superb. I like the movie a lot, but Maberry's adaptation is genius. There's so much more you can convey in a book. You can learn someone's thoughts and learn minutia that a movie will not bother with. I loved this retelling of The Wolfman story and wish you could put all of this into the movie without losing anything in the translation.
Andreas Strom
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Better than the movie as far as I can recall. The film was pretty forgettable really - I only remembered one single scene while reading this novelization. Maberry does a very good job here, handling a story that isn't his own. A very enjoyable werewolf story indeed. Guess I'll watch the movie again now, just to see HOW much better the book was.
Lachelle Redd
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I remember the old black and white and the tortured Mr. Talbot. His fight against the evil that gripped his soul and tore his humanity from him was painful to see. The new movie, eh. I loved Sir Anthony Hopkins of course, the rest just left me flat.
William
I always enjoy Mr. Maberry's work. This is no exception though it doesn't quite live up to his other stuff. I have yet to see the film version of this piece but from what I can tell by the previews it matches well. Scary, colorful, dramatic...it will keep you reading well into the night.
MB
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I think this would have been a better book had Maberry been given free rein and not had to confine himself to the narrow confines of the movie. There was some elements that didn't make sense no matter how hard he tried.
Ivanka Tosheva
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I made a big mistake watching the movie first and then reading the book...Every scene was completely identical both in the movie and in the book...Kind of disappointing...Also, it was predictable at times...
Shannon
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think that the book interpretation was better than the movie. The timing was really good and it felt like the proper medium for the story. Maybe it's just because I like Maberry's work, I don't know.
Supernatural Fict...: THE WOLFMAN by Jonathan Maberry 3 17 Feb 03, 2010 09:52AM
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Ravenous
  • Cuentos por teléfono
  • Frostbite (Cheyenne Clark, #1)
  • The Werewolf of Paris
  • The Wolfman
  • Wolf's Gambit (Wolf Cycle, #2)
  • The Kult
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
  • The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia Of Shape-Shifting Beings
  • Irregular People
  • Four Summoner's Tales
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD
More about Jonathan Maberry...