Start by marking “MASH Angels: Tales of an Air-Evac Helicopter Pilot in the Korean War” as Want to Read:
MASH Angels: Tales of an Air-Evac Helicopter Pilot in the Korean War

MASH Angels: Tales of an Air-Evac Helicopter Pilot in the Korean War

An inspiring first-hand account by military aviation pioneer Richard Kirkland recounts how he and a handful of daring helicopter pilots revolutionized battlefield medical evacuation and blazed the trail for modern air-evac flying. Prior to the Korean War, the helicopter was all but unknown, and rescue was uncertain at best for downed pilots and wounded soldiers stranded be ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Burford Books (first published October 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about MASH Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MASH Angels

Linda
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
I would never have come across this if I wasn't specifically looking for books about helicopter pilots, but I'm quite glad I found it. I really enjoyed his stories about the war and especially about his helicopter flights. This book really made me want to go back and rewatch episodes of MASH, and take more helicopter flight lessons! My full review is here.
Jill
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains information on some of the actual people that were the based for some of the MASH movie and television series characters. It begins with the introduction of helicopters in the military and how this vehicle changed the way, doctors treated wounded soldiers during the Korean War. The author is a veteran who flew missions pick up down pilots from the sea and extract wounded soldiers from the battlefield. The book in includes photograph and sketches that support understanding of t ...more
Robin
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Surprising to find no memoirs of nurse I began this to see what I could glean. Wound up discovering that the writers of MASH the TV show used several memoirs this being another. The writer went from flying jets in ww2 to choppers in Korea. A very educational read. The many medical and lifesaving tasks choppers now do routinely grew from men like this one and units like this. They were groundbreaking. So many owe them their lives.
Fred
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good read, written by a decorated World War II and Korean War veteran. The emphasis is helicopter pilots risking lives and getting wounded to MASH units. Different from MASH TV series, I learned how pilots did not fly by themselves but flew with medics. H-5 & H-19 were the helicopters, other planes were P-61 - Black Widow Night Fighter, SA-16 - Grumman Albatross Air Sea Rescue Flying Boat. Doctor, Captain Sam Gilfand "Hawkeye" was mentioned showing his humorous pranks.
Ryan
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read after having gotten into the M*A*S*H television series. It was neat to hear stories about chopper pilots in the Korean war. I'd definitely recommend it.
Chris Gilbert