Start by marking “Rainbow Fish Discovers the Deep Sea” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Fish Discovers the Deep Sea

Rainbow Fish Discovers the Deep Sea

The Rainbow Fish series has sold millions of copies world wide, and now this beloved character returns with the last book in the hardcover series.
Published August 1st 2009 by NorthSouth (NY) (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Fish Discovers the Deep Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow Fish Discovers the Deep Sea

Virginia
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rainbow Fish is very curious as to what interesting things may be waiting to be discovered deep down in the unfamiliar underwater canyon along the edge of which he often plays with his friends. Octopus makes fine work of painting the canyon dwellers in every possible hue of negativity as he tries to dissuade Rainbow Fish from ever venturing into that foreign world. Despite this, when one day a strong current pulls off Rainbow Fish’s last shiny scale and carries it over the canyon’s edge into the ...more
Autumn
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
Who cares what the story is about? This book is all about the visuals. We were mesmerized by the illustrations.
Suzanne Brandt
After an underwater current sweeps away Rainbow Fishes' last sparkling scale, he must do the unthinkable and brave the deep deep waters to find it. Even after being warned about the scary deep waters, Rainbow Fish braves the deep waters to find his sparkling silver scale and along the way finds amazing new friends. The author provides his audience with the idea that even though we face tough things in life, it can bring new and bright things, like new friendships along the way. The author uses o ...more
Emily Peters
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
Summary:
This book is about the a little rainbow fish trying to rescue the sparkly scale while he went to find his scale it got dark and he swam into a pink squid, the squid came with him to find the sparkly scale but they then ran into the jellyfish. Pretty much rainbow fish swims into a bunch of different animals and at the very end he finds the sparkly scale with all the friends he met along the way.
Like or not:
I like this book a lot. I always enjoy the rainbow fish books. I think they do a g
Kristen
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, ocean
I really liked this book. I've always enjoyed Rainbow Fish and so has my daughter. This book focused on showing kids that just because someone looks different than you or lives differently than you doesn't mean that they are bad. Rainbow Fish meets some very awesome new friends in the Deep Sea when he goes after his last shiny scale.

I always love the illustrations with the shimmering scales. My daughter was very interested in this book the whole time. This is one we will look for to add to our c
Jamie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read with shark storytime
Kelly
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
The creatures of the deep sea help Rainbow Fish find his shiny scale. It's all good feelings in this book.
Karla Winick-Ford
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Storyline was not as great as others
Jessica Reynolds
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picture Book: I absolutely loved this book! Not only did the story take me on a fun adventure, but the moral was awesome and would be great to use in the classroom! I also love sparkles and shiny things, so this book was super fun!
Eliza Buell
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rainbow fish is a beautiful fish who has one sparkling scale. The current comes and pulls his last sparkling scale off and he is determined to get it back, no matter if it requires her to search through the dangers of the deep sea. His friends urge him not to, because it is very dangerous and something bad could happen. Rainbow fish doesn't listen to his friends, put his fears behind him and begins his journey through the sea. He meets many friendly sea creatures who help him search for his scal ...more
Mylksnake Wilson
This book is scientifically inaccurate and imprecise; but I see reviews that the 1st book "Rainbow Fish" (and a TV show?) supposedly promotes socialism/communism or it promotes materialism, so I'd be interested in taking a look that one... hopefully it's socialism. The illustrations are attractive and I like the idea of a children's book that introduces deep sea animals & bioluminescence.
One of the rainbow fish's friends is a "firefly squid." Firefly squids have the bioluminescent ability o
Arnetia Lewis
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought that Rainbow Fish Discovers the Deep Sea was a great book. I used this book for my lesson plan in my practicum III course, with the class I was in the children really enjoyed the book and they enjoyed seeing different fish in the book that they never heard of before. The children were so interested in the book they all kept crowding around me because they were so interested in the bright colors and the new fish that we were reading about in the book.. I can say this is a must read book ...more
Alexandria
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a little rainbow fish who loses his last silver scale over the edge of a canyon. When he braves the scary deep see to find it, he discovers that the creatures who live there aren't so scary after all. and they're more like him than he could have guessed.

A wonderful story about helping someone in need as well as not judging other just because they look different from you or the people you are around every day.
Nathan Willard
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
My four year-old loved this book so much she did a research project about all of the sea creatures in the book. She points out that the latern fish that appears in the book is actually an angler fish.

The story follows rainbow fish and a friendly firefly squid as they search the ocean depths looking for a lost sparkly scale. It introduces kids to the variety of colorful and luminescent animals deep down in the sea.
Rachelle
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The pictures in this book are just lovely. The adventure the little fish takes is nice, meeting up with strange sea creatures and growing in character as a fish. I think this little story can relate to little children of many ages as it is about taking a leap of faith even though we might be fearful. The journey can help us grow and become more confident with our abilities.
Chelsea
Rainbow Fish discovers the Deep Sea is a story about talking sea creatures. The main character is a talking rainbow fish who loses his scale and must go into the forbidden deap sea. This is a great story about the sea and the creatures that live within it. This book makes you happy and it is joyful to read as well. The pictures are very vivid and colorful.
Kristi Bernard
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If your child loves stories of the sea, then this is the book! The sparkling illustrations bring the deep sea creatures to life. Rainbow fish loses his last silvery scale and must journey to the deep dark sea to find it. What he encounters are beautiful entities that glow in the darkness. You will have to read this story to see if he makes new friends.
Valerie
creepy crawly sea-creatures
Rachel
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Sweet story. Nice theme of friendship.
Paul
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Liked the way the 2 pg illustrations worked.
Flint
Feb 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, kids
I like it because it glitters. Even if mylksnake thinks it's scientifically inaccurate.
Chelsey
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-ed-340
Picture Book
Ritz ☾
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book, 2016
2.5 / 3

Illustrations are as fun as other Rainbow Fish books, but the story is not Pfister's best work. Leans onto the weaker side, unfortunately.
Sarah Adamson
A rainbow fish sequel - rainbow fish goes out and explores the ocean and has to find her way back.
Amanda
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Neat book about exploring new things. Also deals with many deep sea creatures that aren't common in kid's books.
Sarah Stumphf
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The pictures in this book make small children ask questions, which is always good. Friendly story which teaches young children that it's okay to ask for help.
Brittany Perry
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The use of color and shiny scales and such made this book a delightful read for my toddler. It is a favorite and he loves the cover. Simply wonderful.
Aug 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really just an excuse to make an extremly sparkly book.
Jeannie
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
♥♥~♥ ♥~♥♥~♥ A really cute story about discovery and friendship!Nicely illustrated! I highly recommend! A fun read!♥♥~♥ ♥~♥♥~♥ ♥:)
Michelle
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The only Rainbow fish book I've actually enjoyed. This was informational and cute.
Marcus Pfister was born in Berne, Switzerland, and began his career as a graphic artist in an advertising agency. In 1983, he decided to dedicate more time to artistic pursuits, and began to write and illustrate his first book, The Sleepy Owl, which was published in 1986. His best-known work to date is The Rainbow Fish, which has remained on bestseller lists across the United States since 1992.

Mar