Start by marking “If You Take a Mouse to the Movies: A Special Christmas Edition” as Want to Read:
If You Take a Mouse to the Movies: A Special Christmas Edition

If You Take a Mouse to the Movies: A Special Christmas Edition (If You Give...)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  18,290 Ratings  ·  317 Reviews
Mouse celebrates the holidays in this picture book in the beloved #1 New York Times bestselling If You Give... series!

Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond have added stories, recipes, songs, games, and activities to make this deluxe edition a perfect way for families to celebrate the holidays together. This special Christmas edition includes:

The complete If You Take a Mouse to
Published September 22nd 2009 by HarperCollins (first published October 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Take a Mouse to the Movies

Rossy
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Loved the illustrations, they were so colorful!
When he made the snowman and the ornaments that look just like him, my cold heart melted a little <3
Eva Leger
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
This is just awful. The only reason I'm giving it two stars is because Julia thinks the damn mouse is cute so I feel bad giving it a one. But Juliaa herself said the book stinks.
Maybe it's my OCD flaring up but what sense did this make? First of all, I can fly with the whole 'taking a mouse to the movies' thing - could be cute so okay. I can even see giving him popcorn. After all, if I did take a mouse to the movies I'd probably give the little guy something to eat. But I get reaaallll lost aft
Joy Gerbode
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book, especially at Christmas time, as it incorporates Christmas activities. I love the way her books always end up back where they started. What a fun way to end my year!

Once again a fun book to share with the grandchildren.
Allison
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely adorable. The little mouse is back from eating cookies, and it is time for the holidays! This book is about the little mouse going to the movies during the holidays. Instead of the mouse wanting a cookie, he will ask for some popcorn which makes perfect sense because he is at the movies! The little mouse also loves to string the popcorn and hang it on the tree and to make snowmen. I like how the story begins and ends with the mouse and the boy going to the movies. Just as ...more
Evan
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddie-fare
We had a little guest over today so read this to her. The story circles back upon itself, though not very elegantly. The mouse is cute, of course. I don't count kids' books like this as a "2010 read" because, let's face it, that's a cheat. My standard is to count, say, every eight Dr. Seuss books as one read, which works out if you throw in a few of his older, wordier ones. Seems like an honest, fair ratio.
Katherine Cowley
If you take a mouse to the movies...you may be in for an awesome Christmas. The mouse is inventive and full of energy as always, and this Christmas book is one I didn't mind reading again and again and again. The preschool book group my kids go to also read this book, and online you can find lots of fun related crafts to do with your kids. Also: indoor snowball fights using polyfil are the best!
midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Johnthan
Sep 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
boring
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
If You Take A Mouse To The Movies by Laura Numeroff is another cute book from the If You.... Series. This is a Christmas one. As always, one idea leads to another, until you end up back square one.
Val
Cute. The story line wasn't as "logical" as most of the other books. Not the best of the set.
Cathy
Around and around this story goes - the kids love this silly mouse that I am sure is ADHD and a bit demanding but that's what you get when you take a mouse to the movies: he'll ask you for some popcorn. If you give him the popcorn, he'll want to string it all together. Then he'll want to hang it on a Christmas tree, then build a snowman and a snow fort and on and on until he remembers the popcorn.

Sidney
This is a holiday version of the if you give a books. This one isn't my favorite but its still good. The popcorn at the movies reminds the mouse of popcorn string which makes it want to get a Christmas tree and the list goes on. This book is creative in how it connects the movies to Christmas. I love all of these books and how it makes kids use connections to read the book.
Allison Tubaugh
If you give a mouse a cookie he will ask you for a glass of milk. now this famous little mouse wants to go to the movies. If you take a mouse to the movies, what will he ask for? This book would be great for a read aloud in the classroom.
Katharine Coggeshall
Such a great book and fits with the series. We read this book any time during the year! The illustrations really make the book and the story engages the child. It's fun and the child wants to read it again and again.
Reaghan Peterson
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
I picked this book because it is funny and it will keep the students guessing of what the mouse will do next. This book would be a good way to bring up cause and effect. Everything in the book happens because of what happened before it.
Patricia
One of Laura Numeroff's "If You" titles. Very cute, lovely illustrations- I wish I could make Christmas ornaments as well as that mouse does! A great read-aloud for kids.
Alicia
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A cute holiday time tale about taking a mouse to the movies and what happens if you do so! Another story by Laura Joffe Numeroff to add to the collection!
Kelly
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of this series of books. But this one is written on a level that children will understand and enjoy. Illustrations are always good.
Bonnie Arriola
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic
Michaela Puglisi
"If You Take A Mouse To The Movies" is a classic to me. There are many books written by Numeroff that are similar to this, but this particular one is a favorite of mine. It is centered around a little boy and his mouse. In a cause-and-effect format, it demonstrates how one event can cause another. This book does not teach a deep, meaningful lesson like others but it is a fun, light-hearted book that I'm sure students of all learning abilities would love. For an elementary class, it would be fun ...more
Carli Erickson
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
Children seem to love these books. They are quirky, clever, and silly. The mouse is so cute, you cant help but like him, even though he is needy. This is a Christmas themed book, so I think it would be a good idea to read it before Christmas break to young students.
Josiah
Nov 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Judging from If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond still had some storytelling magic left in them fifteen years after If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the picture book that put them on the map with its release in 1985. We never tire of the erratic escapades of the titular mouse, even as most episodes closely resemble the adventures he's had before. In If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond help young readers celebrate their favorite literary ...more
Kristen Scelonge
Grade/Interest level: Early Childhood/Preschool
Reading Level: Lexile level, 190 LAD
Genre: Modern Fantasy/Science Fiction

Main Characters: the mouse and (his owner) the boy
Setting: movie theatre, boys home, boys’ school, various other locations dependent upon where the mouse wants to go and what he wants to do
POV: narrator/ young boy

Summary:
In the beginning of the story we are introduced to a little boy who owns a very demanding pet mouse (which many children tend to remember from his other stori
Jill Sanders
This lovely illustrated book is in a narrative point of view. I feel like it is how a child would behave to his/her parents. The book is about the sequential events that follow one thing after another. Many things are related and taking a mouse to the movies will make him want some popcorn. The adorable book shows the child and mouse doing one activity after the other and in the end, the mouse will predictably start all over again because he is given popcorn. I love the popcorn and the mouse ill ...more
Katie Bacich
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If You Take a Mouse to the Movies”, by Laura Joffe Numeroff, is the tale of what a mouse will want every time you give him something new. Laura Numeroff has many other books with the same story line as this one, such as “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie”, and “If You Give a Moose a Muffin”. But this story starts out by the main character taking the mouse to the movies, where he buys the mouse some popcorn. Because the mouse has popcorn, he then wants to go string it to put around the Christmas tree ...more
Sierra
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite part about this book was the illustrations! They are colorful, full of detail and pertain to the theme and idea of the storyline very well! The main idea of this book is that the little mouse is reminded of various activities when he asks for something and then is given it. For example, if you take the mouse to the movies, he will probably ask for some popcorn and when he asks for some popcorn he’ll probably want to make a popcorn string! As the storyline continues there are many act ...more
Laurie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Deatherage
This book is part of a very popular series that I have always loved. This story begins by the mouse's owner taking him to the movies. At the movies he wants some popcorn which he then wants to string together and put it on a Christmas tree, which he asks his owner to buy. The story continues with the mouse becoming inspired by one activity to do another and his owner graciously helping him fulfill his wishes. The story eventually circles back to the mouse wanting popcorn and then asking his owne ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
It’s Christmastime and Mouse is going to the movies. Popcorn inspires him to make a chain and that leads to the purchase of a Christmas tree, lots of snow play, and the making of other decorations.

What I thought: A Christmas story from Numeroff—what fun! I love the illustrations. They give me so many ideas for a story time program. I can see children making ornaments just like Mouse does. I have to wonder if the other animals are jealous of Mouse. Not only does he get cookies, he gets to go plac
Alecia
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-catalog
Author: Laura Numeroff

Illustrator: Felicia Bond

Genre: fiction picture book

Publication Info: Harper Festival (2001)

Reading Level: Ages 4-8, early

Topic/Theme: Christmas, friendship, winter

Issues Addressed: the problems that go along with taking a mouse to the movies

Social Issues: N/A

Classroom Uses: independent reading, read aloud, shared reading

Summary: This book takes place over the Christmas holidays. It tells the tale of what happens if you take a mouse to the movies. Some of the things the mou
  • Mooseltoe
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • Olive, the Other Reindeer
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Hat
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • Dooby Dooby Moo (A Click, Clack Book)
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble (Skippyjon Jones, #3)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Auntie Claus
Laura Joffe Numeroff is an American author of children's books. Numeroff originally wanted to be a writer, but decided to follow her older sister's footsteps and become a fashion designer instead. Laura attended Pratt Institute of Design but then decided to become a writer again and wrote her first book with only 4 rejections. - Wikipedia.
More about Laura Joffe Numeroff...

If You Give... (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • Time for School, Mouse! (If You Give...)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Brownie