Start by marking “Big Fun! (Adventure of Meno #1)” as Want to Read:
Big Fun! (Adventure of Meno #1)

Big Fun! (Adventure of Meno #1)

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS!

I AM MENO. ELF OF SPACE, HERE TO VISIT HUMAN RACE!

Tony DiTerlizzi is the #1 New York Times bestselling author and illustrator of the Spiderwick Chronicles, Kenny & the Dragon, and the 2003 Caldecott Honor Book The Spider and the Fly. He is also a #1 husband and father. Here he teams with wife and partner in publishing, Angela, to inject the s
Published October 6th 2009 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Big Fun!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Fun!

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meno the Space Elf! Now all I have to know is if there is a space Santa!
Alea
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I will admit right off the bat that I was interested in the Meno series because of the illustration. It's beyond cute and I loved the retro feel to it, it stuck with me since I first laid eyes on the cover. The cover even brags that it is "Presented in vibrant Meno-Color!" and Meno is an "elf of space" really this cannot go wrong in my book.

What I wasn't expecting was a rather hilariously written story, while it has very few words or pages it sure is memorable. Though I don't think it would do m
Mrs. Nelson's
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite read-aloud books, because you can make up crazy voices. Plus, as an adult it offers more amusement than many preschool reads. There are several in the series including one that has a reference to Betty White.

--Review by Andrea
Kelli Gleiner
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
very funny, pretty weird. this would be a good one for your quirky friends young and old.
Marisa
Oct 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Weird. I can't seem to find any more words than that at the moment...
jenny
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious - I laughed out loud.
Danielle Delahunty
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is what your English teacher said would happen (if you are over 30). A book in which the character speaks in broken English. Somewhere along the line, they gave in, those English teachers, and they started accept that written expression has no rules in the publishing industry.

Meno is a character who speaks broken English and has a magical rainbow fairy that grants wishes, which, of course, backfire. They are my favorite new Children's series since Frog and Toad. Me, being an English teacher
Josh Hanagarne
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The four Meno books are my five-year-old son's new favorites. These are very hard describe.

There's a little boy named Meno, with an octopus friend named Yamagoo, and a fish friend named Zanzibar. The book is written in an odd, inverted Pidgin English--or think about a bad but funny sentence as run through Google translate.

I kind of get a kick out of these because they're just so odd, but my son adores them.
Melly Fischer
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Totally ridiculous, sometimes potty humor, and makes fun of people who speak English like this: "...now is time for a big fun." This features Meno, who is an elf of space here to visit the human race, hence the linguistic difficulties. This book is by the author of Spiderwick Chronicles.
Kelly
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, funny
The little boy is so cute, and I like how he talks in toddler talk. He looks in silly places for his friend then they have a "big fun," which I won't spoil for you. Nice "glossary" in the back. I also liked how on the copyright page it says the illustrations were "rendered with magic."
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
For the 4-year old in all of us. Potty humor at it's best.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adorable. Even though we've aged out of this group, I love the space-age feel to the art. Hmm. Somebody just had a baby....
Savannah
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Honestly I only gave this book the rating I did because it was written by an awesome author.
Stef
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I'd like to have my sunshine snack now please!
Dolly
Nov 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
This is a very bizarre book. Meno is an "elf of space" with a jellyfish pet/friend and they have fun by farting and making potty jokes. Hmmmm... not my cup of tea, but our girls like it a lot and they thought it was hilarious. The narrative has very awkward and incorrect English phrases, but it is easy to read and I explained that as a space elf, he's still learning. Very simple, colorful and funny, in a bizarre way.
Nielson
Feb 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This was honestly the weirdest book to me. The wording was very awkward and so was the story. Meno, a space elf, and his friend Yamagoo have a snack together and then "make big fun" by passing gas. I honestly didn't get this book. The one bright spot were the bright and retro illustrations. I would give this negative stars if I could.
JulieAnn
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is SO weird. All of the Meno books are very strange. They're written in some kind of engrish style. It majorly bugs me that the sentence structure and grammar in these books is so messed up, but my kid loves them. As long as she's still too little to know the difference I'll let her read them.
Heather
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
I like the illustration style but dislike the writing so much that I only read one of the three aloud that my daughter picked from the library.
Tina
Feb 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
Weird.
Maggie
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Delightful illustrations, but this text provides several challenges for early readers (tricky words with little picture support and non -standard English that could be confusing for early readers).
Cara
A
O
Amy
Oct 10, 2014 added it
I am unsure why this book was ever published.
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Both the 3 and the 6 year old like this. But I still don't get it. I mean, sure poots are funny. But only about two stars funny.
Westerville
Oct 27, 2009
Alorea Denny
Nov 17, 2013
AHI
rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2015
Alfajirikali
Dec 13, 2009
Anna Denomey
Jul 30, 2013
Shannon Uffenbeck
Sep 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick ...more