Start by marking “Gimme a Call” as Want to Read:
Gimme a Call

Gimme a Call

A new life is just a phone call away!

Devi's life isn't turning out at all like she wanted. She wasted the past three years going out with Bryan—cute, adorable, break-your-heart Bryan. Devi let her friendships fade, blew off studying, didn't join any clubs . . . and now that Bryan has broken up with her, she has nothing left.

Not even her stupid cell phone—she dropped it in
Published April 27th 2010 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Gimme a Call, please sign up.
Gabriella I would call it magical realism. It's set in a mundane world, with some magic-like aspects. I would only consider something fantasy if the fantastical…moreI would call it magical realism. It's set in a mundane world, with some magic-like aspects. I would only consider something fantasy if the fantastical, whimsical, magical, etc aspects were a big part of the world. I also wouldn't call it science fiction, because, although there is time travel like aspect, it never specifically states that the time travel is a result of science, just a fluke of nature. There is nothing high-tech in this book.(less)

Start your review of Gimme a Call
Arlene
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Goodreads Give-away winner!!! Woo hoo!!!!!
Gimme a Call by Mlynowski was a GREAT read that was a ton of fun! I enjoyed the book from cover to cover and could not have asked for a better plot and ending. The storyline is unique, the characters are very well developed, and as you read the book, you wonder… How is this going to resolve itself? Well, Sarah was clever and spot on with her perfect conclusion. I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a break from paranorm, but still want to have some fun with a bit of suspended realit ...more
Kate
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
4/5stars

I weirdly really enjoyed this?? This does NOT seem like a book I would like, but with my friend's high praise and how she got me it for my bday, I had to give it a try - and was pleasantly surprised! I'm honestly shocked I haven't seen this trope done more often since this and "Orange" are the only ones I've read so far - but this whole "older/younger self manages to contact older/younger self to warn them about the future/make things different in the past" is FASCINATING to me!

I also ad
Gabrielle
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow this book was so good!! Not what I expected at all it gave me chills
~Tina~
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha! What a fun read.

Did you ever want to change your own past? What would you do if you could talk to yourself when you were younger? What would you tell yourself? What would it change?
For Devi, apparently, it would change a helluva lot!

I really just loved the concept to Gimme a Call. How many times did I wish I could creep back into my own past and tweak a few things to make things be different for my future? But like Devi (& Ivy) the consequences to change ones past always come with a price.
P
Robby
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I will admit that, in the beginning, I did not like this book. There was something about the narration, the tone, that just really turned me off. Lately, the books I have been reading have been lighter, a little less impacting, a little less serious. This is great, at times, but, as I made my way through the first few chapters, I considered putting this book down quite a few times.
I am so glad that I didn't stop reading this book.
Gimme A Call is about Devi Banks. A senior in high school, Devi's
Tara
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That ending was really cute.

This was an easy, fast-paced read that kept me turning the pages even when the MC began to annoy me (both the older and younger versions, lol). But I enjoyed the writing, and the story, and the concept was executed very well.

3 stars.
Emily
Oct 22, 2013 added it
The book I chose is called Gimme a Call. It was about a girl named Devi that was having a rough time in her life. Once she drops her old cell phone into a fountain her life begins to become much better. Once she retrieves it out of the fountain, she realizes she can only call one number on the phone... She can only call her number in perticular, three years ago, at age 14. Now that Devi can talk to herself at a younger age, she can turn her whole life around and go to a great college, not get he ...more
Laurence R.
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that the concept of this book is fantastic. I always wonder about the impact of a simple choice, so books about the different lives a person could be living because of some decisions they make are must-reads for me. This one is different from everything else I've read, so I was really interested about it and I wasn't disappointed.

I loved how the younger and the older Devi felt like two different people - which they are, in a way. They're the same person, but their life experience makes t
Lori
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gimme a Call has been staring at me from my bookshelf for quite some time. I bought it because I loved Ten Things We Did and because that’s probably one of my favorite covers ever. So when I found myself in the mood for something fun and fast I knew I had to pick up Gimme a Call. It did not disappoint.

Devi’s heart is broken and she wishes that she could go back in time and make different decisions. After a clumsy accident involving a cell phone and a mall fountain Devi’s phone will only call her
Shushan
Actual rating: 3.5

High school senior, Devi Banks, has never really had a great life. Her family barely has any money, her GPA is below average, and she has no friends. So when the only good part of her life, her boyfriend Bryan, breaks up with her, she's left with pretty much nothing, other than loneliness and heartbreak. One day, she wakes up, and she finds that her phone can now only call one number, and that number is herself...as a freshman, before she lost her friends and, most importantly,
Janelle Janica Gomez
The story is about Devi, or Devorah, whose life is in a mishap, no friends, worried about college, and worst of all, a boyfriend who just left her.

Her cellphone accidentally fell in a wishing fountain, just as she wished she could talk to her younger self, just to re-do everything in her life.

Imagine her surprise when her younger self does answer her almost-dead phone, and even more surprising to find out that everything that her former self does differently in the past, changes the future, or
Sarah Hadd
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This book had a similar premise of “The Future of Us” by Jay Asher. Another thing they had in common? Great idea with boring execution. Maybe I wasn’t fair to Jay Asher when I wrote that review. Maybe it’s just really hard to write a “past self, future self” story. Because I always liked Sarah Mlynowski’s adult books. Disappointed overall.
Nath
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie
My Summary: After being dumped by her boyfriend of four years, Devi realizes something: her life is in shambles. With no friends, an estranged sister and parents who hardly speak, Devi has nothing except her broken heart. And her phone.

But after accidentally dropping it in a mall fountain, Devi's phone appears to be on the fritz. It keeps calling the same number over and over: hers, four years earlier. Now with a connection to her past self, Devi plans her future - getting into the perfect colle
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Devi hates her senior year. In fact, she wishes that she could re-do her whole high school experience. When a freak phone accident occurs, she finds herself talking to her younger self. Now, she can tell her fourteen-year-old self all the things to fix before she ruins her life, starting with not dating her ex-boyfriend.

Devi spent so much time with him and neglected her friends and her school work. When they break up, she has nothing left. That's a
Diane Ferbrache
After 17 year old Devi drops her phone in the mall fountain, she is amazed that it still works......sort of. The only person she can call is herself -- at age 14! After the initial shock wears off, she has a great idea -- fix all the things wrong with her life. After all, since her boyfriend just broke up with her and none of her friends from freshman year are speaking to her, what if she NEVER even went out with him in the first place? What if she can prevent her best friend from becoming anore ...more
puppitypup
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
YA Teens only!

I believe this book would appeal to teens, although I found it a fairly tense read with older Devi putting so much pressure on younger Devi (view spoiler)

Devi is too hung-up on a boy to make the book interesting to adults. As an adult reading this, I would give it only 2 stars, but I came up to 3 since I'm obviously not the target audience.

Clean read, suitable to middle grade and up.
Vanessa L.
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it was about a new topic: talking with the future or past you. Highschool senior, Devi, accidentally calls her self as a freahman. She decides to completely change her life after a bad breakup...sometimes it's not good to meddle in people's lives, even if it is yours.
Marissa
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
When I first started reading this book I distasted it. The book is where Devi gets to call her freshman self and is telling her to fix all her mistakes in life. Devi spent three years with her boyfriend Bryan, she lost her friends and not so good grades because of it. Devi told her past self to not go out with Bryan. After that she started to change stuff for other people like her friend changing a sport so she will not be anirox. That did not turn out good she started to get a nose job and a bo ...more
Joana Almeida
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These book was amazing!!!
If you watched the mini series “Dating Rules From My Future Self” by the Alloy Entertainment, and enjoyed watching the main character doing all the crazy things by the request of her older self, then this book is for you!!!
When 17 year old Devi is at the mall with a broken heart and wishing for a way to change the past, suddenly her phone drops to the fountain and the only person she can call after is herself, or more precisely, her 14 year old self! The one who’s still
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

This was a pretty good read. I really like Sarah Mlynowski's writing and she does the whole 'What would happen if xyz improbable thing were to happen?' really well. Like she just takes a supposition and runs with it, exploring all the possible things that could happen.

I enjoyed this. Older Devi was nice and controlling and Younger Devi was nice and flakey and it all just hung together really well.
♥ Sarah
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Haven’t you ever wished that you’d be able to go back in time for a do-over? I think on the most miniscule, basic level everyone can relate to that feeling. But will going back in time (with everything you know now) truly change things for the better?

Gimme a Call was like the fluffy version of the Butterfly Effect without the actual time travel. In this book, senior in high school Dev is truly miserable. She’s completely alone and feeling sorry for herself. Her boyfriend of 3 years just dumped h
Chrissy
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
ADORABLE!

Have I mentioned before that Sarah Mlynowski is the queen of adorable young adult fiction? If not, let's say it again! ADORABLE!

I picked up GIMME A CALL after reading Mlynowski's MAGIC IN MANHATTAN series. I had no idea what this one was about -- but I knew it would be cute. And, I certainly was not disappointed.

Devi, a high school senior, wasted most of her teenage years in a relationship with Bryan -- a cute, sweet, gorgeous boy who breaks her heart and dumps her senior year. Looking
Shonda
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Have you ever wished you could change your future by correcting a mistake of the past? If so, you’re not alone. Meet Devi Banks. She’s weeks away from graduating high school and prom is around the corner. It’s her senior year and she should be happy, right? Well, she’s not.

You see, her boyfriend, Bryan, of three plus years just broke up with her. Technically, they’re not broken up yet, but they will be when college starts in the fall. Devi heads to the mall to return a present she just purchased
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
It's senior skip day and Devi is spending it at the mall alone. She's returning a watch she bought for her now ex-boyfriend Bryan. She has zero friends because she made her whole high school life around him. She starts thinking about what could happen if she was able to talk to a younger version of herself and warn her away from Bryan. Maybe then she wouldn't be in so much pain right now. After dropping her phone in a fountain, it turns out she's able to do just that.

She tells Freshman Devi to s
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
What a really cute story! At first I wasn’t sure I would get all that into it. I was confused as it went back and forth. But in true Mlynowski style she pulled me in and kept me there. I ended up not only loving both Devi’s but hoping that things would work out!

Gimme A Call is the story of broken hearted Devi, a high school senior that is dumped by the boyfriend she dumped all her friends for. Completely lost and miserable things get worse when she drops her phone in the mall fountain. Now Devi
Haylee Elizalde
In the book it comes back and forth a lot. The main character Devi gets a call on her phone from only one person ever since she dropped it in the fountain. The one phone call is from herself in the past when she was fourteen. She finds this to be a good learning experience so then she can tell her younger self all the wrong things that happened in the future to never happen in her past at all so then her younger self can have a better life...especially without her ex-boyfriend Bryan.
Emma
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I would not go so far as to say this book was horrible, or even bad necessarily, but I can't say I enjoyed it. I picked this book up because, although it was 300 pages, it seemed like it would be quick to read, and I am attempting to read a book every day next week and needed something fast. I decided to just read it now instead of waiting until next week because I finished my other library books and needed something to read.

I remember thinking the premise was relatively interesting when it firs
Linelle Reyes-Aban
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski is AMAAAZIIING!

When I first read the synopsis, I immediately lit up because I have actually thought about talking to my former self to 'correct' my mistakes in the past.

This book was such a delight to read. It's a story about a high school senior Devorah (Dev for short) who accidentally dropped her phone and when she tried to revive it, for some freak of technology (I was about to say freak of nature but it doesn't seem appropriate,haha), she can call her high sc
Natalie (Natflix&Books)
A Sound of Thunder, the short story by Ray Bradbury, blew my mind when I first read it as a young girl. Granted, this was way before the Matrix movies and CGI and when the only thing we did on computers was play the Oregon Trail (who's with me?), but still, it opened my mind to the possibility of time travel and the ramifications that the most minuscule change in the past could have on the future. Now Sarah Mlynowski is no Ray Bradbury (not that she couldn't be--that just isn't the path she's ch ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #100 - Gimme A Call 1 1 Jun 02, 2016 04:21PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #8 Gimme a Call 1 1 Feb 15, 2015 03:10PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Number 26 1 3 Apr 25, 2012 07:24AM

• Remember Me Always
  • Getting Over Garrett Delaney
  • The Boy Next Story (Bookish Boyfriends, #2)
  • Quiéreme cinco minutos
  • Cake Pop Crush (Wish, #1)
  • Campos de fresas
  • The Awakening of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #2)
  • Map to the Stars
  • The Replacement Crush
  • Romeo y Julieta / Julio César
  • Apesta a teen spirit
  • Ojos llenos de sombra
  • The Summer After You and Me
  • The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)
  • Kiss Me in Paris
  • By the Book
  • Boys, Bears, and a Serious Pair of Hiking Boots
Sarah was born in Montreal, Canada. After graduating with an honors degree in English literature from McGill University, she moved to Toronto to work for Harlequin Enterprises. While she never met Fabio, she used her romance publishing experiences to fuel her first novel Milkrun.

Since then, Sarah has written four additional novels for adults: Fishbowl, As Seen on TV, Monkey Busines