Start by marking “Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)

Motherhood is Murder

(Maternal Instincts Mystery #2)

The author of Bundle of Trouble delivers a new Maternal Instincts mystery.

Nights out are hard to come by for new mommy Kate Connelly. So when Kate and her husband are invited to a dinner cruise hosted by her new mommy club, Roo & You, they jump at it. But when the president of the club takes a deadly spill, everyone becomes suspect-and Kate's on deck to solve the myst
Mass Market Paperback, 307 pages
Published March 2nd 2010 by Berkley (first published January 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Motherhood is Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motherhood is Murder

Aya Hamza
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I love this cute series!!

This one is fantastic, and the case in the book was so complicated this time, but I succeeded in solving it before Kate! I was so happy and proud of myself! :D

The Case:
When Kate and her husband are invited to a dinner cruise hosted by her new mommy club, Roo & You, they jump at it. But when the president of the club takes a deadly spill, everyone becomes suspect-and Kate's on deck to solve the mystery.

Laura de Leon
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love it when a book is exactly what I'm looking for-- in this case, a cute, fun mystery.

The mystery (murder in a moms' group, oh my!) was cleanly executed, but the main reason to read this is the same as pretty much any cozy-- the characters.

Kate Connolly is amazingly on the ball for a new mom, although she has a fairly easy baby, particularly when dad is holding down the fort. Still, it's fun to read the ever-changing lists, and the concerns about 2 month old baby milestones.

I found Kate to
Joe
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun. I don't know any mom like this..[I think]. I love the "To Do" list.
Charlene
3.5 - 4 stars, so rounded up.

This is the second book in Ms Orgain's debut series, and I liked it better than the first. As I read the story, the timetable seemed a bit less hectic and I had less trouble with the new-mom part-time sleuth leaving her baby with dad or Grandma.

There are some humorous moments, as well. The scene where I laughed aloud the longest [and even read parts of to my husband] was when Kate was dressing up for a business interview with a lawyer nicknamed Gary the Grizzly. Let'
Regan
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely a better read than book 1, Bundle of Trouble. If this hadn't been a book club read I would not have continued with the series, but it is a much better read. Book 1 read more like a new mother's diary of dealing with a new baby rather than a cozy mystery heroine solving her first crime. In this one she gets out and does some investigating, moves along with obtaining her license and the crime has some great twists to it. Skip book 1 and go right to this one if you're looking for a fun, ...more
Mikaela
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I wasn't a big fan of this one as the last book. I didn't even finish it. Needless to say, I don't think i'll be reading the other two books
zapkode
{My thoughts} – Kate finds herself considering the possibility of joining a mommy and me group with her daughter. She happened to have run into the co-founders while shopping for baby things. They invited her on a cruise that the moms and dads would be attending in order to give her the opportunity to get to know the other members and a feel for the group.

Kate and Jim go on the cruise and wouldn’t you know someone ends up dead. She isn’t well liked by the officers that are assigned the case and
JoeK
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Bedrooped Bookworms
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Overall, I’d give this book a solid ehh. My favorite characters are Kate’s mom, Kate’s husband, and the neighbor Kenny. They are vaguely interesting characters, but all the characters seem fairly flat. The writing didn’t catch my attention well, and the theme didn’t either (see No Kids Required-I’m not exactly interested in having kids). The story ended up having a few twists and turns and wasn’t totally a formulaic cozy mystery, but wasn’t all that entertaining either.

I’ll go 5 of 10 for enjoym
Argum
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The second book finds baby Laurie a month or so old and her mother trying to make it as a PI properly. Cute but a little old at this point. After sort of joining a mothers group she is hired to figure out if one husband is a cheater and who killed a non mother member of said group. Lots of strange things and some poorly written essential clues that gave away the game. Also some strange asides seem to have some points that could be annoying like about breast is best.
Deborah Robb
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A great book for a rainy weekend. Kate Connelly is a new mom and has been invited to join a mommy group. Kate and her husband, Jim, join the other moms and their spouses on a dinner cruise. During the cruise, one of the moms, Helene, is found dead. Kate is thrown into the search for Helene's murderer. There is no shortage of suspects and Kate is kept busy trying to find the murderer and be a good mom to her newborn daughter.
Phyllis Gauker
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New Mother with a New Career

Although it has been over forty years since I gave birth, it was so much fun to relive some of the new mother frustrations depicted in the book. The author must be a new mother herself since she'S written a whole series of books of this genre. It was truly a fun, and even exciting mystery.

Julia David
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like Kate and her crew so much. Kate is adjusting to being a new mother and she wants to start her own PI business. She has no experience, but doesn't let that stop her. When she and her husband take a dinner cruise with some other people in a mother's group, one of the co-founders falls down the stairs and dies. Was is an accident or was it murder? Kate is ready and willing to find out.
Charlene
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Kate is a quirky character trying to be a PI without a license, gets into so much mischief! This book is fast paced and very interesting. Lots of twists and turns and complex characters, I especially love Kate's mom Vera! Thank you Diana Orgain for such wonderful reads! I cannot wait to read the next book!
Jen
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humorous Mystery

The main character made me chuckle even though this is a murder mystery! I wasn't sure I would be able to relate to Kate as a new mother since my babies are now 40, but that was no problem. The plot had plenty of action. I also enjoyed the secondary characters like Kate's friend Paula. This was entertaining!
Kat Taylor
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mommys group

Wow I thought other clubs were had mean,bichy,lying, conniving, back stabbing, husband stealing women. A new mommy support group Kate and four week old daughter stumble into is deadly. Fallow Kate as she struggles through new motherhood and becoming an unlicensed P.I at the same time. ENJOY 😉😊 Kat
Jessyca Garcia
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading "Motherhood is Murder". Kate is not the normal, know-it-all detective. She is still learning how to detect. This is what I enjoyed most about Diana Orgain's book. The story was actually a mystery. I was happy to discover this series and was surprised that this was the second book in it. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.
Becca
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-e-books
I'd give it 2.5 stars if we could so half here but I can't bump it up to 3. The case was good and fairly interesting and with some decent twist to it even. But I think it's actually Kate that troubles me and keeps me from totally getting into it all. I am not sure if I'll read book 3 or not. On the fence still
Chris Blackton
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have two Kobo's and for some reason this book wouldn't load properly on either one -- I was getting one to two lines per page and when I went to "turn" the page my Kobo kept freezing. The plot was confusing but concluded okay. And unfortunately there were an inordinate number of annoying typos.
Lilia Stephens
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun !

I had a great time reading this book. It was easy t o read and it made remember when my kids were babies. I would recommended this master piece to my friends and family. Enjoy !
Tiffany
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I loved this book, and had a hard time putting it down. I read the first book in the series. It was well written with a good development of the characters and the plot. I intend to read the series, and I would highly recommend!
Marg Siegler
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery

I took me a while to decide to finish this book....
BUT, suddenly the plot thickened and got interesting.
The lead character was well defined and driven.
The ending was unexpected, yet ..
I guess you'll have to read it You won't be sorry. TA TA
Debra Foster Greene
New Mother and New Detective

Four stars because everything can be better. But this story is pretty good. You will not figure who done it until the end but that really the point. Figuring out how to deal with motherhood takes you back to your first days
Irene
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy cozy mystery read. Had a little bit of a hard time keeping track of who was married to whom and who was having an affair with whom . Would read the next book in the series .
Brenda Poulos
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Baby!

What a fun read! An interesting plot and unique characters. Looking forward to reading more good books from this author.
tammy
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It kept me guessing. Who did it ? I loved it
Loreal
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute and funny. Her To Do Lists are funny. Over all a very good mystery, keeps you wanting the clues.
Lori Rose
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book two is just as funny and enjoyable as book one
Starr Gardinier
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great cozy

I love a good cozy that can make me laugh. And this one did. I could almost picture her running around investigating with a newborn!
Beth Wilson
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute

This is a cute book, and a good second installment in the series. I was very pleased to find I liked it as much as the first book.
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • As Dog is My Witness (Aaron Tucker Mystery #3)
  • Past Malice (An Emma Fielding Mystery #3)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • 'Til Dice Do Us Part (Bunco Babes Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on the Menu (A Cooking Class Mystery, #2)
  • Devil's Garden
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Empty Mile
  • Died to Match (Carnegie Kincaid, #2)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
Diana Orgain was born in San Francisco, CA. As a child she loved Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries and dreamed of being a writer one day. She went on to earn her B.A and M.F.A. in Creative Writing from SFSU with a minor in acting. Diana has acted professionally in many theater roles and national commercials. She' wrote several plays, which were produced in San Francisco State University. Bundle ...more

Maternal Instincts Mystery (6 books)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #3)
  • Nursing a Grudge (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #4)
  • Pampered to Death (Maternal Instincts Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Cravings (A Maternal Instincts Mystery Book 6)
“I gave her a brief account of the happenings since Helene’s death and ended by saying, “I freaked out yesterday and had a panic attack.” “I always knew you’d end up nuts.” I pushed her shoulder. “Shut up.” 0 likes
“I froze. The Velcro closing on my girdle had given way. The entire thing came undone under my shirt. The buttons on my silk blouse threatened to pop and the material between each button gapped hideously open. I moaned and swayed, feeling a bit faint. Please, please, earth, swallow me whole.” 0 likes