Start by marking “Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)

Motherhood is Murder

(Maternal Instincts Mystery #2)

The author of Bundle of Trouble delivers a new Maternal Instincts mystery.

Nights out are hard to come by for new mommy Kate Connelly. So when Kate and her husband are invited to a dinner cruise hosted by her new mommy club, Roo & You, they jump at it. But when the president of the club takes a deadly spill, everyone becomes suspect-and Kate's on deck to solve the mystery.
Mass Market Paperback, 307 pages
Published March 2nd 2010 by Berkley (first published January 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Motherhood is Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motherhood is Murder

Start your review of Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
Aya Hamza
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I love this cute series!!

This one is fantastic, and the case in the book was so complicated this time, but I succeeded in solving it before Kate! I was so happy and proud of myself! :D

The Case:
When Kate and her husband are invited to a dinner cruise hosted by her new mommy club, Roo & You, they jump at it. But when the president of the club takes a deadly spill, everyone becomes suspect-and Kate's on deck to solve the mystery.

Laura de Leon
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love it when a book is exactly what I'm looking for-- in this case, a cute, fun mystery.

The mystery (murder in a moms' group, oh my!) was cleanly executed, but the main reason to read this is the same as pretty much any cozy-- the characters.

Kate Connolly is amazingly on the ball for a new mom, although she has a fairly easy baby, particularly when dad is holding down the fort. Still, it's fun to read the ever-changing lists, and the concerns about 2 month old baby milestones.

I found Kate to
Joe
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun. I don't know any mom like this..[I think]. I love the "To Do" list.
Kris
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
2.5 stars. Maybe I have changed too much to enjoy cozy mysteries. They used to be a favorite genre. Now I am mostly annoyed by a person who puts herself in danger that could easily be avoided when she has a month-old infant at home. It's not terribly written, and the mystery was okay.
Charlene
3.5 - 4 stars, so rounded up.

This is the second book in Ms Orgain's debut series, and I liked it better than the first. As I read the story, the timetable seemed a bit less hectic and I had less trouble with the new-mom part-time sleuth leaving her baby with dad or Grandma.

There are some humorous moments, as well. The scene where I laughed aloud the longest [and even read parts of to my husband] was when Kate was dressing up for a business interview with a lawyer nicknamed Gary the Grizzly. Let'
Regan
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely a better read than book 1, Bundle of Trouble. If this hadn't been a book club read I would not have continued with the series, but it is a much better read. Book 1 read more like a new mother's diary of dealing with a new baby rather than a cozy mystery heroine solving her first crime. In this one she gets out and does some investigating, moves along with obtaining her license and the crime has some great twists to it. Skip book 1 and go right to this one if you're looking for a fun, ...more
Mikaela
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I wasn't a big fan of this one as the last book. I didn't even finish it. Needless to say, I don't think i'll be reading the other two books
Lora Shouse
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in this series. Once again, it was a fun, not-too-taxing little mystery.

New mom Kate Connolly has been invited to join a Mommy Group. The first meeting she goes to is a dinner cruise with just the parents – no kids. And on the cruise, one of the mothers dies. She appears to have been murdered.

This mother’s group seems to consist of very wealthy moms. And there is all kinds of drama going on between them. The murder victim was seeing her best friend’s husband. Another mom
zapkode
{My thoughts} – Kate finds herself considering the possibility of joining a mommy and me group with her daughter. She happened to have run into the co-founders while shopping for baby things. They invited her on a cruise that the moms and dads would be attending in order to give her the opportunity to get to know the other members and a feel for the group.

Kate and Jim go on the cruise and wouldn’t you know someone ends up dead. She isn’t well liked by the officers that are assigned the case and
Tammy Massey
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am hooked!!!

I love this new to me author! I can not hardly wait to get to the next book! The heroine of this series is a new mother and she has found an exciting new adventure around every corner. She hopes to become a private investigator as a new career. I enjoy reading about her growth as a PI , as a mom that loves her peanut and her very supportive husband. The storyline is good and new , not some old cliche of murder mystery. I would like to see more depth to the characters, some clarity
JoeK
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Bedrooped Bookworms
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Overall, I’d give this book a solid ehh. My favorite characters are Kate’s mom, Kate’s husband, and the neighbor Kenny. They are vaguely interesting characters, but all the characters seem fairly flat. The writing didn’t catch my attention well, and the theme didn’t either (see No Kids Required-I’m not exactly interested in having kids). The story ended up having a few twists and turns and wasn’t totally a formulaic cozy mystery, but wasn’t all that entertaining either.

I’ll go 5 of 10 for enjoym
Cheryl
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent well written mystery! Kate Connelly is on a dinner cruise when a murder occurs. She gets involved because she can’t seem to not get nosy! In the right place at the right and wrong time throughout the book is so true.
She is hired by a woman to prove her husband is cheating on her but the plot thickens and you definitely have plot twists. Because she is being helped by her mom, best friend, Paula and a recovering PI. So much action and we must not forget all the help she gets from h
Deborah Robb
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A great book for a rainy weekend. Kate Connelly is a new mom and has been invited to join a mommy group. Kate and her husband, Jim, join the other moms and their spouses on a dinner cruise. During the cruise, one of the moms, Helene, is found dead. Kate is thrown into the search for Helene's murderer. There is no shortage of suspects and Kate is kept busy trying to find the murderer and be a good mom to her newborn daughter.
Argum
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The second book finds baby Laurie a month or so old and her mother trying to make it as a PI properly. Cute but a little old at this point. After sort of joining a mothers group she is hired to figure out if one husband is a cheater and who killed a non mother member of said group. Lots of strange things and some poorly written essential clues that gave away the game. Also some strange asides seem to have some points that could be annoying like about breast is best.
Becca
I'd give it 2.5 stars if we could so half here but I can't bump it up to 3. The case was good and fairly interesting and with some decent twist to it even. But I think it's actually Kate that troubles me and keeps me from totally getting into it all. I am not sure if I'll read book 3 or not. On the fence still
Jen
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humorous Mystery

The main character made me chuckle even though this is a murder mystery! I wasn't sure I would be able to relate to Kate as a new mother since my babies are now 40, but that was no problem. The plot had plenty of action. I also enjoyed the secondary characters like Kate's friend Paula. This was entertaining!
Charlene
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Kate is a quirky character trying to be a PI without a license, gets into so much mischief! This book is fast paced and very interesting. Lots of twists and turns and complex characters, I especially love Kate's mom Vera! Thank you Diana Orgain for such wonderful reads! I cannot wait to read the next book!
Jessyca Garcia
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading "Motherhood is Murder". Kate is not the normal, know-it-all detective. She is still learning how to detect. This is what I enjoyed most about Diana Orgain's book. The story was actually a mystery. I was happy to discover this series and was surprised that this was the second book in it. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.
Julia David
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like Kate and her crew so much. Kate is adjusting to being a new mother and she wants to start her own PI business. She has no experience, but doesn't let that stop her. When she and her husband take a dinner cruise with some other people in a mother's group, one of the co-founders falls down the stairs and dies. Was is an accident or was it murder? Kate is ready and willing to find out.
Phyllis Gauker
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New Mother with a New Career

Although it has been over forty years since I gave birth, it was so much fun to relive some of the new mother frustrations depicted in the book. The author must be a new mother herself since she'S written a whole series of books of this genre. It was truly a fun, and even exciting mystery.

Kat Taylor
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mommys group

Wow I thought other clubs were had mean,bichy,lying, conniving, back stabbing, husband stealing women. A new mommy support group Kate and four week old daughter stumble into is deadly. Fallow Kate as she struggles through new motherhood and becoming an unlicensed P.I at the same time. ENJOY 😉😊 Kat
Nancy Fredenburgh
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate's desire to become a PI only increases after her first case was a success. Kate's decided to go to a Mommy's club and their first meeting is on a dinner cruise. The death of one of their Mommy's Club members by falling down a staircase on the ship only fuels Kate's desire to join the world of PI's and the search for the murderer begins. Steady, pleasant and humorous reading.
Tiffany
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I loved this book, and had a hard time putting it down. I read the first book in the series. It was well written with a good development of the characters and the plot. I intend to read the series, and I would highly recommend!
Adelaide
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun !

I had a great time reading this book. It was easy t o read and it made remember when my kids were babies. I would recommended this master piece to my friends and family. Enjoy !
Irene
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy cozy mystery read. Had a little bit of a hard time keeping track of who was married to whom and who was having an affair with whom . Would read the next book in the series .
Marg Siegler
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery

I took me a while to decide to finish this book....
BUT, suddenly the plot thickened and got interesting.
The lead character was well defined and driven.
The ending was unexpected, yet ..
I guess you'll have to read it You won't be sorry. TA TA
Chris Blackton
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have two Kobo's and for some reason this book wouldn't load properly on either one -- I was getting one to two lines per page and when I went to "turn" the page my Kobo kept freezing. The plot was confusing but concluded okay. And unfortunately there were an inordinate number of annoying typos.
Debra Foster Greene
New Mother and New Detective

Four stars because everything can be better. But this story is pretty good. You will not figure who done it until the end but that really the point. Figuring out how to deal with motherhood takes you back to your first days
Patricia Grogan Bugher
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another Maternal Instincts Mystery from Diana Orgain. This installment finds Kate Connolly still trying to get her PI license. Lucky for Kate, murders just keep happening around her and so she’s off to solve another one!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Brownies & Betrayal (Sweet Bites Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder, Curlers, and Cream (Valentine Beaumont, #1)
  • The Honeyed Taste of Deception (Angel Lake Mystery #4)
  • Dying for Dinner Rolls (Chubby Chicks Club, #1)
  • Restoration (Golden Beach #1)
  • Murder in the Art Gallery (Pet Portraits Mystery, #1)
  • From Garden To Grave (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lanvin Murders (Vintage Clothing, #1)
  • Crafting Disorder (Ponderosa Pines Cozy Mystery, #2)
  • Family Jewels (Rose Gardner Investigations, #1)
  • Murder Under Construction (Two Sisters and a Journalist, #1)
  • Wolf (Jessica James Mystery, #1)
  • A Pie to Die for (Bakery Detectives #1)
  • Coyote (Jessica James Mysteries #2)
  • The Secret of Seaside (Paige Comber Mystery Book 1)
  • The Bitter Taste of Betrayal (Angel Lake Mystery #2)
  • A Simple Country Mystery (Helen Lightholder #3)
  • Sanctuary (Kate Redman Mysteries, #8)
Diana Orgain was born in San Francisco, CA. As a child she loved Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries and dreamed of being a writer one day. She went on to earn her B.A and M.F.A. in Creative Writing from SFSU with a minor in acting. Diana has acted professionally in many theater roles and national commercials. She' wrote several plays, which were produced in San Francisco State University. Bundle ...more

Maternal Instincts Mystery (7 books)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery Book 1)
  • Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery #3)
  • Nursing A Grudge (A Maternal Instincts Mystery Book 4)
  • Pampered to Death (Maternal Instincts Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Cravings (A Maternal Instincts Mystery Book 6)
  • A Deathly Rattle (A Humorous Cozy Mystery)

News & Interviews

“I gave her a brief account of the happenings since Helene’s death and ended by saying, “I freaked out yesterday and had a panic attack.” “I always knew you’d end up nuts.” I pushed her shoulder. “Shut up.” 0 likes
“I froze. The Velcro closing on my girdle had given way. The entire thing came undone under my shirt. The buttons on my silk blouse threatened to pop and the material between each button gapped hideously open. I moaned and swayed, feeling a bit faint. Please, please, earth, swallow me whole.” 0 likes