Start by marking “Sermon on the Mount: An Evangelical Exposition of Matthew 5–7” as Want to Read:
Sermon on the Mount: An Evangelical Exposition of Matthew 5–7

Sermon on the Mount: An Evangelical Exposition of Matthew 5–7

Based on solid scholarship yet easy to read, Jesus Sermon on the Mount combines two books by renowned author D. A. Carson in one: his popular The Sermon on the Mount, which has been in print for over twenty years, and When Jesus Confronts the World. Carson offers a thorough explanation of the teaching of Jesus in Matthew 510.

Bible teachers in church and parachurch groups,

Published June 1st 1982 by Baker Publishing Group (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Sermon on the Mount, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sermon on the Mount

Start your review of Sermon on the Mount: An Evangelical Exposition of Matthew 5–7
David
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In six short chapters, originally preached as sermons, Carson takes his readers on a survey of the main themes of the Sermon of the Mount in Matthew 5–7. While there is not the space for as much detail as would be found in an expositional commentary, this work complements that approach with more practical application than would be typically included in such a commentary. Indeed, Carson frequently pulls no punches when dealing with the state of the church today, but does so in a gently irenic and ...more
Jon
A great little commentary on the Sermon on the Mount. I read it as part of my devotions over the last six months and have benefited immensely from it. It’s not a long book but packed with dense and practical exegesis and application.
Marius
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
I used this for my bachelors thesis. Of all the commentaries I read, this one stood out as thorough, clear and precise. Carson treats the Word of God with reverence, and is clearly a man who knows the Lord and spends time in prayer, while at the same time being an excellent scholar.
Parker
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
D.A. Carson offers, as usual, a brilliant exegesis of the text. Not only that, but the two appendices are as worthy of attention as the primary material.
Pat
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I had heard sermon by DA Carson which was very good. Scholarly and thorough but understandable and thought I'd try a book by him. I will read more of his books.
Jared
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd say, a no nonsense approach to a very difficult teaching. I enjoyed the clarity.
Dan Glover
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: bible-commentary
Carson is always good. This is a good combination of preaching/teaching based on solid scholarship (he has a very good full-length commentary on Matthew in the Expositors Bible Commentary series) and with just the right level of historical/cultural background for the audience who will be using this study (it is not technical). This would make a good Bible study guide and is useful for preachers, so long as it is used with more technical commentaries as well. One complaint is that Carson is often ...more
Bill
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentary-bible
Read this as we preached through the Sermon on the Mount. Found it helpful and reliable week by week, especially on basic questions of exegesis. Would have liked more focus on understanding Jesus on his own terms before referring to the epistles for guidance -- but that's probably just my current hobbyhorse. Enjoyed the two more theological appendices, though I was glad they weren't in the main text as I referred to it week by week.
John
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Carson is excellent. I actually have a slightly different volume that includes two sections, the second being an exposition of Matthew 8-10. (the title of my volume is "Jesus' Sermon on the Mount and His Confrontation with the World." Regardless, this is Carson at his best -- using his sharp exegetical eye and pastor's tongue in perfect harmony. Perhaps the best section of the book is on Kingdom Perspectives.
Heidi
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, christian-nf
This book did more to transform my understanding of what exactly Christ did through the Sermon on the Mount, than any other book I've read on the subject. Then, as I studied the Bible - OT and NT - following this book, I saw and understood that Jesus had done dramatically MORE than I'd ever realized before. I cannot attempt to summarize that here - you have to read it for yourself and search the Scriptures as you go. One of the most life-changing and liberating books I've ever read.
Stacia
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentaries
I didn't read this cover to cover. I used it as a supplement to a sermon series and small group questions that our church did, so I just read the sections, and ended up skipping the sections that I missed church. Anyhow, I loved what I did read. Carson is a good commentator for the layperson. Not too over your head and not too dumbed down. Very good.
Deb
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I agree with Carson that Mathew and Luke give two different sermons - Matthew gives Sermon on the Mount and Luke gives Sermon on the Plain. Great exposition of Matthew 5-7 with excellent appendixes.
Lindsay Kennedy

• The Message of the Sermon on the Mount
  • Christian in Complete Armour Volume 3
  • Hello Ninja
  • The Theology of the Book of Revelation
  • Churches Cultures and Leadership: A Practical Theology of Congregations and Ethnicities
  • All Things for Good
  • The Trinity
  • Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • Letters to a Mormon Elder
D.A. Carson is research professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. He has been at Trinity since 1978. Carson came to Trinity from the faculty of Northwest Baptist Theological Seminary in Vancouver, British Columbia, where he also served for two years as academic dean. He has served as assistant pastor and pastor and has done itinerant ministry in Cana ...more