Start by marking “Why Fish Fart and Other Useless Or Gross Information About the World” as Want to Read:
Why Fish Fart and Other Useless Or Gross Information About the World

Why Fish Fart and Other Useless Or Gross Information About the World (Why)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
From the author of the New York Times bestseller* Why You Shouldn?t Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless (or Gross) Information About Your Body: the be-all and end-all compendium of odd, quirky, and otherwise nauseating information.

H ere is another thoroughly distasteful yet utterly compelling book from the author of the New York Times (extended list) bestseller Why You Sho
Published September 3rd 2009 by TarcherPerigee (first published 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Why Fish Fart and Other Useless Or Gross Information About the World

Peacegal
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Weird and gross facts about history, the human body, and the natural world are presented in short entries. As is typical with these sorts of books, I think some of the info was a little exaggerated.

I do like that the author educates readers about the gross (and cruel) origin of the hormone replacement drug Premarin, of which many people are still completely unaware.

Although "yucky facts" books are a perennial favorite in kid lit, readers are cautioned that this isn't a children's book. Many of
Ris
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Three years ago, when my dad was visiting from Texas, he bought this book at the local Borders while my brother and I searched the shelves. Then, when we went out to dinner, he cheerfully selected passages to read at random while my brother's face turned green and I laughed because as annoyed as I was at his choice of public dinner conversation, I'm a daddy's girl who inherited his childish sense of humor.

I picked it up for the first time since then this summer when, a day after having my wisdo
Tiffany
Mar 03, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: series, awesome-title
lol. Why fish fart. Wait. They fart?
Liza Gilbert
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is definitely a solid collection of snippets about human waste, animal waste, farting, and penises. If my library was short on any of those subjects, this would be the book to fill in the gaps.

It is organized very loosely into categories, but this really comes off as a collection of information that the author found interesting (and didn't find a need to write about well). I did learn some interesting things, but this is not a book that you would recommend to anyone else. Nothing ties the s
PDXReader
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody!
Recommended to PDXReader by: Publisher
This is such a fun book! I've been enjoying reading a couple of sections before bed, so I can stun and amaze my friends the next day. I'm definitely going to have to pick up Gould's first book, Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body Information About Your Body. Entertaining AND Educational (not to mention GROSS!!!). Can't get much better than that!
Sherry
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
I bought this for my classroom and thus far it is truly disgusting and gross. It's perfect. My male students are going to eat this up and I'm going to know whether they're really reading because they WILL interact with the text if they are. I'm expecting lots of buzz over this one, so much so that I may add her other books to my shelf.

While this is a compilation of gross minutaie, there are some very interesting sections, such as the one about the stuff that grows on toothbrushes and an overvie
Terrie
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
With a title like WHY FISH FART, and a very cute cartoon cover, this book is sure to be a hit with kids. It is filled with tons of gross and somewhat fascinating facts about animals, fish and insects, and even a few crazy people. How many cockroaches could you eat in an hour? Did you know that cockroaches fart every 15 minutes? Did you know some people use tarantula fangs as toothpicks? To find out more about these and other disgusting but true facts, you have to read this book!
Teena in Toronto
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
It is indeed an interesting book about useless and gross information, most of which I found interesting.

Don't make the same mistake I did, though, by reading it while I was eating ... the first chapter is about "obscene cuisine". I had to skip to the next chapter, "weird creatures", and go back to the first chapter when I wasn't consuming my lunch.

BTW, it is the herring who farts ... to let the other herring know where he is.
Bryan Beaty
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was everything it was intended to be funny, gross and useless. I loved it. With small kids, knowing these things makes for fun dinner conversation. If you need something fun to read, like science and have a tolerance for gore, this book is for you. Those with weak stomaches should avoid this at all costs.
Betty-Anne
A quick and easy read, Why Fish Fart took me no more than a couple hours to finish. I enjoyed every minute of it. Many of the pieces had me laughing out loud.

Always gross, but not quite as useless as the sub-title claims, the book contained some quite interesting and useful information in some of the section, particularly the hygiene practices.

All in all, a fun and enjoyable little book.
Elizabeth
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book several years ago from a secret pal gift exchange. This seemed like a good weekend to pick it up. It gave me a plethora of Facebook status updates sharing gross trivia with family and friends. Easy to read, short "articles" so it was easy to put down and pick up later. And it survived a dunk in the bathtub.
Memphis Evans
I found the section with graphic descriptions of historical methods of torture inappropriate, given the breezy tone and the cartoony, kid-oriented cover. I took it back to the library immediately. People can read and write what they want, but I personally didn't dig having the rack, thumbscrews, spikes driven under fingernails, etc. in a "wacky" kid's book.
Taylor Stimson
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book wasn't really funny or about why fish fart,all it was about was very weird information that you will never know from other books like: one of the best coffee in the world is poop coffee.But I recommend this book to everyone who won't be so disgusted.
Katie Rybakova
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
LOVED this book. A series of mini-stories about a variety of "gross" things. Such great little reads to do with a group of students-- would be a great read for both boys and girls. There are a few entries that are a bit "spicy" but otherwise a great, interesting read.
Greg Parrott
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not as good as I was hoping. The writing isn't very good. Hardly any thread connecting the individual tidbits was probably my largest disappointment.
readknitread
great book to start book talks with when speaking to youth. Page 71-72 about goats licking feet as torture is what I'm opening with from now on.
Dorcas
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
So much grossness found in history, in nature and in everyday life stuff. Gotta show this to the kids!
Rachel
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
It was very gross but disgusting at the very same time.
An
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Horribly fascinating...with really, really disgusting bits in it. It kind of gets boring towards the end, though.
Parksy
Aug 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for trivia type books.
Marielle
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gross, curious, and morbid all found in one book. Some of the facts made my stomach turn, but not enough to deter me from going cover-to-cover in one night. Read at your own risk?
Vona
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is full of the useless, gross information about the world. It is gross, yet hilarious! Loved it! :D
Amber Bingham
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Julie
I'm sure some kids would find this sort of book fascinating, but I found it somewhat...relentless.
Kasey Lynn
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting read! I really enjoyed learning about these random topics. I plan on ordering the other book by this author. Really a great read if you like learning about bazar facts.
Mimi
Damian
May 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • 10 Ways to Recycle a Corpse: and 100 More Dreadfully Distasteful Lists
  • Naked Eggs and Flying Potatoes: Unforgettable Experiments That Make Science Fun
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • The Manga Guide to Molecular Biology
  • Biology: Life as We Know It!
  • My Tank Is Fight!
  • Poop: A Natural History of the Unmentionable
  • Uncle John's Fully Loaded 25th Anniversary Bathroom Reader
  • The Body Owner's Handbook (Horrible Science)
  • The Mental Floss History of the World: An Irreverent Romp through Civilization's Best Bits
  • Mental Floss Presents Forbidden Knowledge: A Wickedly Smart Guide to History's Naughtiest Bits (Mental Floss Presents)
  • The Zodiac Killer: Terror and Mystery
  • Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass: The Story Behind an American Friendship
  • Planet Earth: What Planet Are You On? (Basher Science)
  • The Girls' Guide to Rocking: How to Start a Band, Book Gigs, and Get Rolling to Rock Stardom
  • Stupid History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions Throughout the Ages
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cat

Why (4 books)
  • Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body
  • Why Dogs Eat Poop, and Other Useless or Gross Information About the Animal Kingdom
  • Why Is Yawning Contagious?: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The Human Body   And Some Things You'd Rather Not