Start by marking “The Shakespeare Encyclopedia: The Complete Guide to the Man and His Works” as Want to Read:
The Shakespeare Encyclopedia: The Complete Guide to the Man and His Works

The Shakespeare Encyclopedia: The Complete Guide to the Man and His Works

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A beautifully illustrated reference that provides a deeper understanding of Shakespeare and his time.

Some four centuries after they were written, William Shakespeare's plays and poems still delight audiences and readers worldwide, and together form one of our cultural touchstones. The profound themes and beautiful language speak to us across time and place, and the story o
Published September 17th 2009 by Firefly Books

To ask other readers questions about The Shakespeare Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shakespeare Encyclopedia

Sammy
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, theatre
Really lovely. A.D. Cousins and his team have assembled an erudite, matter-of-fact gloss over Shakespeare's life and career.

Each play is given at least 2 large pages (sometimes up to 12) covering the basic plot, the play in performance, the history and sources, and any other relevant information. Some of the major plays get considerably more than this, exploring social attitudes and the play's critical fortunes, for example. (The same treatment is given to all of the dramatist's poems.)

Cousins a
Kacey
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this! It would be a great companion in the classroom when teaching Shakespeare! The encyclopedia contains so much information about both Shakespeare's life and his plays, and includes historical information that even I didn't previously know. Definitely plan on using this with students in the future.
Jun Gonzales
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has information on all of Shakespeare's work as well as the man himself. The articles are well written, interesting, and I enjoy reading books with pictures and this has lots of them, on every page. I just wish sometimes the graphics are related to the article on the page. I have a tendency to give away books I like, but I shall keep this one for a long time (its a gift from my wife) when I want to have an idea what the play is about before going to see it.
Michelle
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A very enjoyable book to look at with paintings and photographs of the plays/actors. Lots and lots of information about the man, each play and the sonnets, more than I could take in. This will make a very good reference book for all things Shakespeare.
Emma
The author seems pretty pressed. He insulted a lot of scholars/scholarly work. But this book is awesome, if only for the pictures.
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Great book to just flip through--nice photos and good info. I wouldn't necessarily call it essential reading, but it might make a really nice gift for a fan.
Lela