Start by marking “Guía del autoestopista galáctico (Guía del autoestopista galáctico, #1)” as Want to Read:
Guía del autoestopista galáctico (Guía del autoestopista galáctico, #1)

Guía del autoestopista galáctico

(Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  1,160,538 Ratings  ·  24,059 Reviews
Un jueves a la hora de comer, la Tierra es inesperadamente demolida para poder construir una nueva autopista hiperespacial. Arthur Dent, un tipo de lo más corriente que esa misma mañana ha visto cómo echaban abajo su propia casa, considera que eso supera lo que una persona puede soportar. Pero, desgraciadamente, el fin de semana no ha hecho más que empezar, y la galaxia es ...more
Published 2007 by Anagrama (first published October 12th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Guía del autoestopista galáctico, please sign up.
James Thoenes You make it sound like reading is a terrible thing.
You make it sound like reading is a terrible thing.
I think if you read this, you will most likely enjoy it and want to read the others. You won't have to but you'll want to.(less)
Callan Holpp
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

J.G. Keely
The universe is a joke.

Even before I was shown the meaning of life in a dream at 17 (then promptly forgot it because I thought I smelled pancakes), I knew this to be true--and yet, I have always felt a need to search for the truth, that nebulous, ill-treated creature. Adams has always been, to me, to be a welcome companion in that journey.

Between the search for meaning and the recognition that it's all a joke in poor taste lies Douglas Adams, and, luckily for us, he doesn't seem to mind if you
Tom
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another classic. If you don't like this series, you probably put your babel fish in the wrong hole. You are the reason that human beings are only the third most intelligent species on earth behind mice and dolphins. So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Jon
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Douglas Adams fans
In my experience, readers either love Adams' books or quickly put them down. I, for example, quite literally worship the words Adams puts on the page, and have read the Hitchhiker's Trilogy so many times that I have large tracts of it memorized. But both my wife and father couldn't get past book one: the former because she found it too silly, and the latter because he found the writing to be more about "the author's personality" than plot and character.

Whatever.

The first three books in the Hitc
Stephen
What does Kim Jong-Il, a thong-wearing mechanic and this missing link furry fellow have to do with The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy?
Photobucket
...you owe it to yourself and your family to find out.

With the plethora of wonderful reviews already written for this book by my fellow GRs, I decided instead to provide some helpful, practical advice on why reading this book might benefit my fellow goodreaders. Therefore, as both life management tool and a safety warning, I have compiled my:

Top 5 Reasons Why
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
It's not you, it's me... well maybe it's also you.

Unfortunately this book wasn't for me. Some of the humor I liked but it was too absurd for me and it was too slow to really start.

I wish I had liked it as much as everyone else but it definitely didn't make it to my "favorite books of all time" list!

UPDATE: I finally figured out what was my issue with this book. There's a French movie called "Rrrrrrr" (similar humour to Monty Pyton) and I've had way more fun using the jokes out of context with fr
Emily May
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I am not one of those who think this is the best book ever written. It does not affect me on any deep emotional level and this kind of quirky sci-fi comedy is just not really my thing. However, that being said, Adams' has some of the best quotes EVER (not all of these are from this exact book):

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

"For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more int
Alejandro
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please, before anything... DON'T PANIC.

This review is harmless, well mostly harmless.

I think that one of the things that one has to keep in mind while reading this book is that it was written in 1979. Having this important factor in perspective, it's quite astonishing the vision of Douglas Adams, the author, presenting a lot of visionary elements, starting with the very "book inside the book", I mean The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, since it's presented as an electronic book. which now it's
Felicia
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, faves
What can I say? I wish I had been in the movie, although it was bad and I guess I should be happy about NOT being in it.
Carole
Apr 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. It was required in one of my English Lit. classes in college. The time spent reading this book is time that I will never get back. I think this book may have shortened my life; it was such a waste of time.
Councillor
“You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen.”

Did this make you laugh already? Fine, because the rest of Douglas Adams' famous novel includes many more of those humorous elements.

I have a very difficult personal history with Sci-Fi novels; so
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1), Douglas Adams
عنوانها: راهنمای مسافران مجانی کهکشان؛ راهنمای کهکشان برای اتواستاپزنها؛ نویسنده: داگلاس آدامز؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز نهم ماه سپتامبر سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: راهنمای مسافران مجانی کهکشان؛ نویسنده: داگلاس آدامز؛ فرزاد فربد؛ تهران، پنجره، 1386؛ در 207 ص؛ شابک: 9789647822336؛ موضوع: داستانهای خیال انگیز علمی و خنده دار از نویسندگان انگلیسی - قرن 20 م
عنوان: راهنمای کهکشان برای اتواستاپزنها؛ نویسنده: داگلاس آدامز
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, humor, own
Not sure what it was about this book that made me not like it as much as I was hoping. When I was growing up I remember watching the BBC TV show and playing the text adventure on my Commodore 64 (yes, I am getting old). Before I actually read it, lots of my friends recommended it and the cool, edgy people all loved it (basically, the hipsters of the 90s! 😉)

When I finally read it, it seemed a bit dry to me. Perhaps that was the famous dry British humor? Also, it felt like Adams was trying to incl
Evgeny
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A disclaimer: I don't have no sense of humor!!!
Sense of humor

The book is so well-known that I would not bother with the plot description; I will just shamelessly copy/paste the blurb.
Copy/paste
Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor. Together this dynamic pair begin a jou
James
From what I can tell, I'm not in the majority when it comes to rating The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I'm giving it a 3, which means I still liked it... but unfortunately, I wasn't as fond of the humor as most people are.

This was a book club selection from about 6 or 7 years ago. We agreed to read just the first one in the series. And it was the first science-fiction novel we took on. I was excited. Several had already read it but wanted to again.

I'm generally a fan of cra
Henry Avila
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Dent is having a bad day, his home is being demolished, a new highway bypass is needed, progress you know, it's for his own good...really, so goodbye house. On the bright side (by the way), it does not matter either. Earth too, will no longer be, soon just billions of inconsequential floating pieces scattered throughout the cosmos, no one left to remember. The powers of the galaxy have decided this little, insignificant, dull planet at the edge of the Milky Way, must go. A byperspatial ex ...more
Carol.
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the guide
Review of the audio, read by Stephen Fry:

Overall, Fry earns a solid 'B+' for his rendition of the classic Hitchhiker's Guide. Fry has the perfect 'narrator' voice, and I generally enjoyed most of his character voices. Ford Prefect often has a rakish tone, his reading of Arthur Dent is note-perfect clueless, and Zaphod Beeblebrox has a deliciously smarmy confidence. It was a bit of a revelation to find Marvin more amusing in audio than when I read the book, although I feel like Fry might have giv
Will M.
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another instance where it's daunting to write a review because the novel is well-known and loved by millions of people. As a Sci-Fi/Fantasy reader, it's embarrassing that I've only read this once, and I've waited 'till 2016 to read this. I'm glad that I can finally say that I've read this. I've finally read and enjoyed one of the most influential books of the sci-fi genre.

I understand all the buzz regarding this novel. This is the first time in my whole life that I laughed out loud whil
J.L.   Sutton
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an entertaining romp through the galaxy. It's a book I've read several times (first in high school); however, after reading Kurt Vonnegut's most overtly science fiction novel, The Sirens of Titan, it almost felt like a fresh experience. Of course, Vonnegut and Adams are very different writers. Still, the influence of Vonnegut is evident in Adams' seminal novel of nerd culture. The absurdity of the human condition explored in Sirens (somethin ...more
Manny
They stumbled out of the Heart of Gold and looked around them. It was very quiet among the tall buildings. The ground was covered with brightly-colored objects that, from a distance, looked a little like paperback novels. Trillian picked one up.

"It's a paperback novel!" she said, surprised. "Long Hard Ride, by Lorelei James." She flipped through it. "Hm, who'd have thought that the late inhabitants of Frogstar Z would have been into women's erotica?"

She picked up some more. "Be With Me, by Maya
Stephan
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6 shiny twinkling ★'s!

Really wonderful humor, funny language, absurd imagery and fantastic characters. The most fun I've ever had with books. And audiobooks.. I had this on tape, the BBC version, and would listen to this in my car or on my walkman repeatedly.

If you've ever wondered where those references to the number 42 come from, what it would be like to have two heads or what about the answer to life, the universe and everything - look no further.

Actually, I'm gonna head off right now to get
Mariah
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because it is my boyfriends' favorite series. I struggled with it so much. I already struggle with fantasy, and this book didn't explain what is happening thoroughly and develop the characters enough right away in the beginning. So like I said I really struggled.

However, I watched the movie and according to my boyfriend there was a lot in the movie that wasn't in the book, so I guess that didn't help.
Melina
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a good laugh
I read this book about 51,017 times when I was in seventh grade. I wore my copy out. That was a time in my life when I very much would have preferred to belong to some alien species, trapped here through no fault of my own. Also: "The ships hung in the air in much the same way that bricks don't." How can you improve on writing like that?

Q: What's so bad about being drunk?
A: Just ask a glass of water.

ahhh, good times.
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ahmed by: Abdullah Khalid
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
“I don’t want to die now!” he yelled. “I’ve still got a headache! I don’t want to go to heaven with a headache, I’d be all cross and wouldn’t enjoy it!
I found my love for Sci-Fi comedy when I read The Martian. And this was a good addition to my read shelf in that accord. I loved the moments I spent with this book. Unlike The Martian, this book would also work well for non-Sci-Fi readers. Because there is soo much humour you can't repress your laugh and enjoy this book.

OVERVIEW
Earth is sche
Cecily
Hitchhiker's, volume 1.

Earth is destroyed to make way for a bypass. Fortunately for Arthur Dent, his friend Ford Prefect turns out to be an alien and manages to escape, with Arthur.

The plot is not bad, but it's the writing that is fantastic:

Vogon ships "hung in the sky in exactly the way bricks don't".

The Hooloovoo is a super-intelligent shade of the colour blue.

The old man who said nothing was true but was later found to be lying.

"After a second or so, nothing continued to happen".

"This mus
Lisa
I have spent almost six hours in the delightful company of Stephen Fry, reading the satirical science fiction classic with incredible skill and humour.

As I had read it before, I had to bow to Fry’s ability to speak the strange, evocative names of the characters without giving away his amusement more than with a tiny rise in the voice.

The story starts with a bleak outlook on life on Earth, of course. While Arthur Dent, a regular human being, is in a rage over a bulldozer which is about to tear do
Luffy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was more Sylvie and Bruno and less Alice in Wonderland. I didn't know what to make of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I didn't know when to laugh and what was serious.

The treatment given to this story is phantasmagorical. The gags and mini episodic adventures are absurd, pertinently so. The fate of the planet Magrathea is a dream for communists.

I tried to get it, you know. But I don't get most of British humour. I don't get most of Monty Python's Flying Circus, and I don't get Wo
Alex Farrand
It is just my kind of humor, epic, ridiculous space adventure. It is one of the most quotable books I ever read. It is quotable like Step Brothers. This book is the "fucking Catalina wine mixer" of books. You guys should of heard me chuckle while walking down the street with Jacqueline in her stroller. I probably looked like a crazy lady giggling to myself.

Definitely a re-read for me, and I will jump into his next novel tomorrow.
Mary Elizabeth
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary Elizabeth by: Everyone
I was quite afraid I wouldn't take to the book considering how many people close to me -- as well as at parties -- would rage, rage, RAGE at my never having read Hitchhiker's Guide. What would the fallout be? Would I be shanked at the next party I went to if, when asked about my liking of the book, I were to shrug? Oh, the anxiety!

But I'm happy to report I did like it.

A lot, too, once the sperm whale and petunia chapter came up, and then all the more when the old world builder (or award-winnin
Emer
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with a funny bone
"The history of every major Galactic Civilisation tends to pass through three distinct and recognisable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why and Where phases.

For instance, the first phase is characterised by the question 'how can we eat?'
The second by the question 'why do we eat?'
And the third by the question 'where shall we have lunch?'"

When you love a book as much as I love this one the only way to write a review to convince others who hav
Algernon

It's a sort of electronic book. It tells you eveything you need to know about anything. That's its job. [...] Which is exactly the sort of thing you need to know if you are an impoverished hitchhiker trying to see the marvels of the Universe for less than thirty Altairan dollars a day.

Anybody can have a brilliant idea for a good story, but it takes hard work and dedication to transform it into a magnum opus of satirical science-fiction. According to legend, Adams was lying on his back, pennyle
  • Foundation (Foundation #1)
  • Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Red Dwarf #1)
  • A Scanner Darkly
  • Earth
  • Bellwether
  • Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14; Witches #4)
  • The Day of the Triffids
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • Foreigner (Foreigner, #1)
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • The Tripods Trilogy (The Tripods, #1-3)
  • Absolution Gap
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was co ...more

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (5 books)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.” 9405 likes
“Don't Panic.” 4282 likes