Start by marking “Witch's Sister (Witch Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Witch's Sister (Witch Saga, #1)

Witch's Sister

(Witch Saga #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  667 ratings  ·  86 reviews
When the darkness,
tolls the hour,
I shall have you
in my power...

Lynn and her best friend, Mouse, are positive their neighbor, Mrs. Tuggle, is a witch. And they suspect the old woman is forcing Lynn's sister, Judith, to join her coven to witches. But Lynn and Mouse can't prove anything and their parents don't believe them. the girls are desperate to expose Mrs. Tuggle's
Published September 1st 2002 by Aladdin (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Witch's Sister, please sign up.
Heidi Where do you usually get books? Library? Amazon? Bookstore? I know they're available for Kindle.…moreWhere do you usually get books? Library? Amazon? Bookstore? I know they're available for Kindle.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Witch's Sister (Witch Saga, #1)
Shraddha Saraf
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read the entire Witch Saga series a lot of times and every time I read them I cant seem to put them down. Naylor weaves a spell in every book that even after reading the same book a number of times I keep coming back and each time I find something new or different. Quite witchy, eh?

By the way, the first book I read in this series was The Witch's Eye when I was 11 years old (I am now 27), and at that time, though there were some missing parts in the book (as it was the 4th one in the seri
Shawn Thrasher
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is Lynn's sister Judith a witch? Lynn and her best friend Mouse certainly think so. When I was ten years old, I thought she was. My adult self, older (much) and wiser (or perhaps not), rereading the book, though perhaps Judith was more likely a moody pubsescent 14 year old girl with a new ideas and a new boyfriend, and that Lynn and Mouse's runaway imaginations have gotten the better of them. Naylor makes sure you have both of these ideas in your head at all times, and leaves you at the end with ...more
Elsie
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good but the ending is confusing. I’m curious what happens. It is like a cliff hanger. It says there are five more books in the series so it probably explains then
Dawn
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have read this series every year around Halloween since I was in late elementary school! (I admit, I was fascinated by witchcraft---but only in reading it--not practicing!!!) ;o)
Karla
Aug 10, 2013 added it
Absolutely loved this series when I was a kid!! I remember that I use re-read them all the time.... I'll have to do that again sometime and see why I liked them so much :) ...more
Monique
So this one for my sixth graders..a Halloween themed read that intrigued me from the title and argh frustratingly ends on a cliffhanger that promises a second book but hmm I am not that interested in going further LOL..okay so this is the story of Lynn and Judith, two older sisters to a little brother named Stevie who have a mother who is also a harried excitable author and a father who works a lot also…The two sisters share a room separated by a curtain but that is all they have in common..the ...more
LobsterQuadrille
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any fan of creepy kids' books
Upon rereading, I don't think Witch's Sister is the strongest book in the Witch Saga. It tends to be a bit heavier on exposition, since the story begins at a point where Judith is already(maybe) a witch and so the background has to be explained. But it is still a good foundation for the rest of the series, and sets the tone for them perfectly, though the later books get progressively darker.

But this first book is clever and creepy, and doesn't talk down to its readers. And it's not the gimmic
Marie
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2021
Read this 20 ish years ago and is surprised how well it aged. Really sad I can't find the audio books of the rest of the series. ...more
liz
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at a library sale. My cover is much better. I thought I remembered reading this, but wasn’t sure. About a quarter of the way through I started very vividly remembering images and turns of phrase from it. In restrosoect, this book and others like it were massively influential on me: old houses with bay windows and window seats that are comfortably threadbare and possibly haunted, hanging out in cemeteries and at creeks, seeking secrets in rare books. Classic.
Kirsten
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Ever since Lynn's sister Judith started spending time with their elderly neighbor Mrs. Tuggle, supposedly learning seamstressing, she has been acting strange and distant. It's not until Lynn comes across her luring tadpoles to her by singing to them that she begins to suspect that Judith might be a witch's apprentice, and Mrs. Tuggle a witch. Is Judith really involved in dark doings, or is Lynn simply reacting to her sister growing up and changing?

This reminded me quite a bit of Zilpha Keatley S
Tiffany
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
I know this book was written for young adults, but I was creeped out at times while reading it. It probably didn't help that I was reading it late at night after everyone else had gone to bed and that I'm a wimp when it comes to scary stories.

I kept expecting there to be an explanation for what Lynn was perceiving in her sister's actions, but one never came. It just left you hanging about whether Lynn's speculations that her sister was a witch were true or not. I know there are sequels to this
Emma
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I was in my early teens, me and a few of my friends went through a horror-phase. This phase mainly consisted of reading Goosebumps novels, but somehow the Witch Saga managed to sneak its way in there as well. I still remember Witch's Sister quite vividly, and the fact that it scared the bejesus out of me. I also remember how the protagonist Lynn would sit down and have these conversations with herself, whenever she had a problem to sort out. For some reason that particular character detail ...more
L.E. Fidler
Look, at some point, everybody with a sister has thought that girl was a witch...or was possessed...or could conjure prom dates out of the creek.

Everybody.

But Lynn and her hobo-chic Peppermint Patty bestie, Mouse, are convinced that Lynn’s sister Judith is a WIT (witch in training) and is being groomed my head witch and all around sinister old broad Mrs. Tuggle to both sew AND conjure.

And they may just be right!

But of course, this is a first in series, and that development is left for later on t
William Gundelach
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book the first time when i was about 11 I think.
I loved it.
I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to read something interesting and exciting. You can read as a child, teenager or adult and still find it good.
Witch's sister is so hard NOT to read, once you've started reading it.
SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD

I have re-read this series way to many times.
Danny Barker
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS SERIES! READ IT ABOUT ONCE A YEAR!
Rasmus Skovdal
Alright, so, this is a review (or rather some rambling thoughts) of the entire series. This, Witch's Sister, is of course the first book and there are five more.

So, if you are very concerned about spoilers for a handful of mediocre children's books that started in the mid 70s, avert your gaze.

Now, while I'll stand by my rating of 'mediocre', I do think the first one is pretty good – I loved it as a kid, but it's obviously not at all scary now, and probably not worth seeking out.

It works because
Alissa
Jul 23, 2020 added it
These are fun! And I'm glad I decided to re-read them.

I devoured this whole Witch saga when I was a kid, a couple years before I graduated to reading the likes of Christopher Pike, R.L. Stine, Caroline Cooney, etc (and from there it was a slippery slope to VC Andrews and Ann Rice...with a bit of Stephen King mixed in for that decidedly macabre male perspective).

And I can probably trace my lifelong fascination for anything and everything Witchy to this series. Well, this series and The Headless
Marianna
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
What do you do if your sister a witch? Lynn suspect her sister a witch because of all the strange thing she does.

This is a creepy book. The suspense adds up as the story progresses and each time Lynn and her friend find out more about witches the more, they see Judith as one. I like how the evidences that show as a witch can be explain as something else. Making believable as to why Lynn parents would not believe her.
I like how it stand clear of neighbors whispering about the old lady that live
J.N.
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I’d known about this book when I was younger. This is probably one of the creepier kids books I’ve read and I feel like it would have made a big impression on me as a kid. As an adult, it was still really good.

The story was solid and the characters were interesting. Lynn is so sure of her suspicions and there are so many coincidences throughout that I couldn’t help but wonder if they were real or just a part of her imagination. This isn’t answered at the end, either—it seems up to the rea
P.A. Pursley
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-books
So this month in our book club is Re-read Month. You go back and re-read your favorite books. "Witch's Sister" was a book I read when I was in elementary school. I really enjoyed it and it got me into the genre of supernatural stories. What I didn't know was that it is a seven book series! What! Yes. So I have purchased all of them and will read them for the month of December.

This book is about Lynn who suspects her sister is a witch. She sees omens and strange things going on that either no one
Martine
Mar 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Somehow I never read this as a kid despite being a huge fan of Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. I picked this up for my ten year old niece and decided to read through it before I gave it to her. It's clearly a children's book, but not painful to read as an adult. I think the cliffhanger at the end will be great for encouraging young readers to continue on with the series. ...more
Ravencrantz
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clearly I'm no longer the target audience of this series, so the writing style is not my thing. However, the plot and the suspense have me turning pages dying to know what happens next! While I can't quite connect with our main character, I'm sure a middle schooler would have no problem doing so. I'm really glad I got around to reading these. ...more
Lindsay
Oct 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
I think maybe I would have liked this book as a kid. Not as gruesome as Fear Street books or other scary stuff I had read though. As an adult, it was okay. (This review is more a personal note rather than a reference for others) I did enjoy the authors writing style.
Ane:)
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic! This book is so fun to read and it’s easy to understand. I really loved the story and the characters. It was also pretty scary at some points!

Cant wait to read more of this series:)
Lotte Bowers
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a young girl, oh my gosh, this series was just pure magic
Emma Thingsted
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The most terrifying read of my childhood, and definitely worth revisiting.
Jessyloo
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
YA fun, quick
Erica
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this as a kid and really enjoyed the book. Decided to reread it for the third time as an adult, and again really enjoyed the story.
MIMP
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
A favorite of mine as a child
Marina Hernandez
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My first favorite book! I'm so glad I rediscovered this series. About the same level of spook factor as Coraline. Excellent! ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
  • Balladen om den forsvundne mumie (Freddy-serien #1)
  • The Sherlockian
  • An Infamous Betrayal (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #3)
  • Erik Menneskesøn (Erik Menneskesøn #1)
  • Shamran - den som kommer
  • Barndommens gade
  • Det bliver et langt liv
  • Dæmonernes Hvisken (Historien om Mira, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Anxious People
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • En lykkelig slutning
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • The Sixth Wicked Child (4MK Thriller, #3)
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken, #1)
  • Kampen om sværdet (Erik Menneskesøn #2)
  • The Vanishing
See top shelves…
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo

Witch Saga (6 books)
  • Witch Water (Witch Saga, #2)
  • The Witch Herself (Witch Saga, #3)
  • The Witch's Eye (Witch Saga, #4)
  • Witch Weed (Witch Saga, #5)
  • The Witch Returns (Witch Saga, #6)