Start by marking “A Pussycat's Christmas” as Want to Read:

A Pussycat's Christmas

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  355 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Christmas Is in the Air

But how can you tell?
Does the air smell of tangerines?
And Christmas greens?
Can you feel it in the wind? Or hear it in the sound of a song?

Experience the beauty and mystery of Christmas in this classic story told by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated with charming paintings by Anne Mortimer.
Published October 9th 1998 by HarperCollins (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about A Pussycat's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pussycat's Christmas

Ann
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ann by: Katie, since it was a Christmas gift last year - thanks!
A cute story about preparations for Christmas from the eyes of the cat!

What really won me over here were the adorable illustrations! The beautiful colors and the wonderful expressions!

The text was, for me, just okay. I wasn't always captivated by the word choices, and more so the flow seemed wrong (wasn't the cat just taken OUT of the room with the Christmas tree and now it's back there?)

So, three stars for the story, but five for the illustrations. If you happen across this title, I'd suggest p
Selena
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like cats
So admittedly, this book is taking a bit of a shortcut. Pussycat looks like a fluffed up version of my Harley cat. Right down to the black spot on the nose and the black under her mouth. This is pretty darn impressive, since my grandparents gave this book to me for my birthday back in 2001 (so says the little note written in the inside cover), more than a decade before I got Harley. There's Christmas magic for you.

Anyway, fun story aside, this is a cute little Christmas kitty kid's book. The art
Miriam
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, holidays
Aside from a couple nice lines the prose was not too striking, but the illustrations were lovely and tender. Also, it was nice to see a story with a cat actually enjoying the Christmas preparations rather than being frightened or disturbed (although I did love Mog's Christmas anyway).
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit, christmas, cats
I loved this story about Christmas through a cat's eyes. The story and illustrations were stellar!
Mallory (toweroftomes)
Originally published on my blog The Leaning Tower of Tomes: http://leaningtoweroftomes.wordpress....

A Pussycat's Christmas a beautiful, heartwarming children's classic (in my opinion). Margaret Wise Brown wrote the classics Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny, too; her poetic-like writing enchants you and lulls you. My mother would read A Pussycat's Christmas to me every night on Christmas Eve. Even now I still like to read it on my own around the holidays. It's just such a magical, enchanting
Dolly
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've loved Margaret Wise Brown's books for young children and have read Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny over and over until the board book bindings fell apart. So when we saw this book at our local library, we just had to check it out. It's a sweet look at Christmas from a cat's perspective and alhtough I think the narrative is a bit rambling, the illustrations more than make up for it. We enjoyed reading this book aloud together.
Julia
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A beautiful intake on the Christmas season with the senses of hearing and smelling being emphasized more than some of the other senses within the book. Along with the beautiful illustrations you will be transported back to some of your own Christmases to think in what senses you actually celebrate the holiday.

The pictures are beautifully done with Anne Mortimer doing a wonderful job in both catching the colors of the season as well as the curious cuteness of Pussycat. And so for the person who
Lori
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday
What a captivating little Christmas book. The illustrations are marvelous & colorful. Illustartor Anne Moritmer really captures the nature of Pussycat & cats in general. I also love the smaller touches of showing the same scene from different perspectives and having a snowman pop up in different scenes throughout to book. I even read it to my dog with this morning's coffee beside our tree & he seemed to enjoy it's sweet story. It transports you to the excitement and also the calm of ...more
Rosa Cline
This is a children's book but it's more for an older one than the younger one. It is a cute story written from a cat's point of view for Christmas. It is full of descriptions which at times was a bit much. I feel if it hadn't had all the descriptions it did then it would have flowed better. But over all was an okay book, nice idea.
Jane
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In A Pussycat's Christmas the author presents the sights and sounds of Christmas through the eyes of a cat. The sound of being outside in the snow, the sound of wrapping packages and the smells of the treats for Christmas gives a picture of Christmas that is often forgotten in appreciating the simple side of the holiday. The illustrations are beautiful to match the beautiful story.
Kelsey
Oct 07, 2012 added it
A beautifully written book that is clearly creatively thought out and will draw the attention of children. This is a book I think children can definitely relate to, while also being enchanted by the beautiful illustrations.
Gretchen
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, christmas, cats
This is a beautifully illustrated story that explores the sights, sounds, and smells of Christmas as seen through the eyes of a cat. I loved the pictures. It helps that the cat looks a lot like my two kitties!
Olivia
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a story written for cat people by cat people. The story itself is cute, but nothing special. What wins me over is the illustrations. Every face that cat makes is dead-on for the expression a cat would make in such a situation. Too cute.
Amy
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-pictures
Multi-sense description of a cat's Christmas experience with short sentences. Not my favorite Margaret Wise Brown story. But the cat drawings are magnificent. I love the pictures of the fluffy black and white cat.
Alamoliz
Another beautiful kitty book by Anne Mortimer, with Margaret Wise Brown's innocent feline enjoying the sights, sounds, and weather of the winter holiday. Spotting Santa's sleigh in the sky is only a part of the kitty's joy.
Meg McGregor
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pussycat associates certain sounds with Christmas...

the rustle of tissue paper,
the smell of the Christmas tree,
the falling of the snow.

What is the one thing that tells Pussycat it is Christmas Eve?

Your little ones will love the sweet sentimentality of this story.
Sharon
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*sigh* I love most books by Margaret Wise Brown, but this one, is my favorite. The illustrations in this edition by Helen Stone are simpler and gentler than we are now used to. They are so appealing to me and allow the text to take precedence.
Cindy
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, children-s
Written in 1949, newly illustrated in the 90's by Ann Mortimer.
MWB books are usually quirky & fun. My kids always liked them & I always got a kick out of them. This story follows Pussycat in her adventures on Christmas Eve. Lovely story & beautifully illustrated.
Anna
Beautiful pictures. C enjoys looking at the cat. Sweet story, but the writing doesn't hold C's attention.
Marg Corjay
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Christmas classic from a loved children's author. The illustrations are so lifelike you can actually feel the cat purring next to you.
Monica Tomasello
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this beautifully illustrated book to my children as they were growing up.
Mckinley
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, christmas, cat
Updated illustrations for an older story.
Rachel
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014, stars-3
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Kayla
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Beautiful illustrations, but the writing is clunky and disjointed. The story seems to go on and on without actually telling a story. Not super entertaining for my kiddos.
Margaret
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
An extremely cute Christmas picture book! I loved the illustrations!
Michelle
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
The cat is drawn so realistically! The only thing I didnt like was how the author said the cat "wanted" to break Christmas ornaments, when al cats want is to play
SouthWestZippy
Very cute book about what a cat must be thinking around Winter and Christmas time. I love the illustrations. One to read year after year.
Lisa
very realistic drawings. nice story.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
To me there is osmething of a disconnect between Margaret Wise Brown's text (and usual style) and Anne Mortimer's sweeter-than-sweet illustrations, but since I am fond of both, I can overlook it.
Lea
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has really marvelous illustrations that are remarkably accurate at capturing the posture and facial expressions of cats.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Shall I Knit You a Hat?: A Christmas Yarn
  • The Trees of the Dancing Goats
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • The Mouse Before Christmas
  • Snow
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Santa's Book of Names
  • Paddington Bear and the Christmas Surprise
  • Fletcher and the Snowflake Christmas
  • Cobweb Christmas: The Tradition of Tinsel
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Moonlight: The Halloween Cat
  • Can You See What I See?: The Night Before Christmas: Picture Puzzles to Search and Solve
  • The Dolls' Christmas
  • When Winter Comes
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...