Start by marking “The Grand Escape (Cat Pack #1)” as Want to Read:
The Grand Escape (Cat Pack #1)

The Grand Escape

(Cat Pack #1)

It's a scary world out there.
If only Marco hadn't read a newspaper article about a ranch and become determined to see one. If only Polo hadn't found himself longing for the mother he barely remembered as a soft-warm-wiggle-purr-milk-tongue. Then the two tabbies might have been content to remain pampered house cats forever. But when their owners leave a door open, Marco a
Published May 1st 2005 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 1993)

Jill
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Two brother cats decide they are tired of being indoor cats and escape to look for that wonderful place called a ranch. On the way, they meet a group of cats living in the loft of a garage, leading the brother cats to a series of adventures. The Grand Escape is light-hearted fun, clearly written for younger readers. The story is told from the cats' perspective and while there is plenty of danger, fairy-tale happiness rules over reality.

Although I enjoyed the story, as an adult, the plot was a b
McKenzie Austin
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm personally new to GoodReads and therefore decided to start reviewing books I've read in childhood before I ventured on to the ones I read as an adult. It went without saying that I had to start with The Grand Escape.

When I was ten years old, I must have read this book so many times, the pages begged for reprieve. I even read it again in adulthood, just to touch that sweet nostalgia.

I thought Phyllis did an amazing job of bringing a cat's personality to life. The bond shared between the bro
Jackie
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favorite book as a younger girl. I found it the other day while cleaning, and I swooned. I can remember reading it with my mom, and then again by myself many times. It's adorable. It is a must-read for any cat lovers, is witty, and is an absolute delight for any child, in my opinion.
Sheri
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Though the storytelling in this book was fun and my kids enjoyed it, I was rather disappointed: there was no real point to the story. I mean, the cats run away, they have adventures, and nothing really comes of it. So we laughed at the cats' misunderstandings about humans, we held our breath while they battled danger...but it felt pointless, given the ending. Maybe we were supposed to consider the "grass is always greener" adage? Life moves on without you, so your existence isn't especially sign ...more
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people in grade 4-6 maybe?
Recommended to Anna ~"One need not fight every battle, or die in the struggle, to be a hero" MV~ by: nobody, i found it on my own
Shelves: cats
I picked this up rather randomly at the library because the idea made me grin. I read it in a whole afternoon, so it's not long, but not too short either.

In this book: Two brother cats, Marco and Polo, used to live at home, but as life went on, they became restless. Eventually, they escape the house and realize the world is a big and scary place. To join a special cat pack, they have to go and complete 3 quests; all of which are dangerous for a cat.

I hope you like it like I did. :) It was cute.
Becky
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am cleaning out. Yes, even books. I found this children's book I had not read before. It is a delightful tale of 2 brother house cats who want to go Outside. They do, and they have a big adventure. Sweet story.
Kathleen
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book before, and forgotten the title! I only remembered the part about the owners splashing water on the cats when they tried to go out, so they'd learn not to. It's still an enjoyable read! A grand adventure indeed for a pair of sheltered cats.
Olivia Crews
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it great story
Jaylie
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats
This book was amazing! Marco and Polo are very cool characters, and I enjoyed the story the whole way through!
Jenny
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This was very cute and funny - I really enjoyed how the cats interpreted the world, and humans.
Natalie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a child!
Veronica Myers
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cute and super original. It was the perfect find when I was a third grader trawling the library for my next new obsession.
Carrie
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: readin2017
This was a childhood favorite that has stayed with me throughout the years. I was happy to discover it when cleaning out my old room. It wasn't quite as exciting to me as an adult (no, that's not a given), but it gets points for the fond memories. Plus, any cat-loving kid would love it just like I did, I'm sure.
Ashleigh Cutler
The first book of Marco and Polo's adventures is the best of the series. It jives well with Dick King-Smith's "The Mouse Butcher" as well. The characters are fun. You have Texas Jake, the top cat and somewhat of a bully to the boys yet kind to others. Carlotta, the calico who all the gang respect and try not to upset. "You have only one life," she tells the boys, "and once you lose it, no more cat." There's two more, Elvis the singer and Boots, who is more sidekick to T.J. than anything if I rem ...more
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, cat-related
L is not quite ready for the popular Cat Warriors stories (a bit too tense), but this is a great lead-in to that. This series is about two tabby housecats named Marco and Polo who escape from their home and have some daring adventures in the bigger world. They want to join the local cat club, but to do so, they have to solve three mysteries, such as What Is Inside Betram-the-Bad's dog house (Bertram is a cat-chasing Mastiff). I found these fun to read aloud, seeing the world from the cat perspec ...more
Taya S
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked this book because it was about these two cats and they go on this adventure. So one day they sneek out of the house and they go to this restaraunt called the Big Burger. So when Marco and Polo go to a trash can these cats come along and Marco and this other cat start to get in a fight. So after the fight was over, Marco and Polo wait until they are done and they meet a new cat named Carlotta. So when they were done, they ate out of the trash cans and they had fish, ham burgers, cheese bu ...more
Ann Coleman
This is not a new book, but it was new to me. Cleverly written book about two house cats that decide to leave home to move to a ranch, though they weren't certain what a ranch was. One of the cats had cleverly slipped out for a short time when a door had been left open. Touching grass was a wild experience. Looking at birds from outside was so very different from the window's view.
When they make their heroic departure from their safe home they meet some interesting cats and oh what they see and
Cheryl
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story about two cats, Marco and Polo, who escape from their comfortable life indoors. They begin an adventure as they meet some outdoor cats, and attempt to join a club presided over by Texas Jake. The characters and adventures they have along the way will have you laughing out loud! A great story for all cat lovers!
Molly G
A much-needed change of pace from the last few books I read. Wonderful characterizations of cats, portrayal of physicality seems exceptionally good in writing, as well as worldviews and understandings quite intelligently simple. Good use of naming the protagonists "Marco" and "Polo". Excellent YA.
Velvetea
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Oh, this is an adorable book about kitties, and their hunger for a new life all their own.... As a 7th grader, I found myself sympathizing with them all the way~ I always had a deep love and respect for animals (so much I fancied myself one most days >_<). It was such a cute read.
King Haddock
Aug 31, 2008 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the Cat Pack books, very different in demeanor from the more-depressing Shiloh series Reynolds Naylor is known for. These are just silly, cute animal fiction books in which the cats discuss the questions of life and get everything wrong.
Danielle
May 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is a childrens/young readers book, but it was one that really touched my heart as a child. If you're looking for a gift for a child in your life or if you'd just like to read a touching story, I highly recommend this book.
Cal
A bit simple, and the characters are somewhat stereotypical...Alright for a kids book though personally I prefer ones where the cats actually interact with and appreciate humans instead of humans always being the big blundering oafs who just feed them.
Kaelin Wilson
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It's so funny and packed full of adventure, it starts with two indoor cats wanting to get out, and they could never know what danger and friends will lie ahead.
Jill
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. It is about Marco and Polo the cats trying to make the grand escape. I think that anybody would like this book. It is very nice.
Devi
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a cute story.
Michelle
Dec 26, 2010 rated it liked it
funny-cute point of view, cats run away-view of world
Pashi
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, to-buy
5 stars for cats
Gabriela
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I learned that it is boring to stay in the house all day every day. But it is also good to be with the people that care about you and that love you too. I hope you read this great book!
*Gabriela
Tori
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
they had just got to the dark alley and Marco had a fight with a huge cat named Texas Jake i believe, and just met a female cat that has the perfect life. Page 30
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. YA childrens book over cats. [s] 5 43 Jul 27, 2009 05:08PM

• Oscar, Cat-About-Town
  • Raccoons on the Roof (Animal Ark, #21)
  • Catwings Return (Catwings, #2)
  • Highway Cats
  • Martin's Mice
  • Perloo The Bold
  • The Town Cats and Other Tales
  • A Rat's Tale
  • It's a Dog's Life (McGrowl #2)
  • The Outlaw Varjak Paw
  • Kittens in the Kitchen (Animal Ark, #1)
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Sam The Cat Detective (Sam the Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Pre-Raphaelite Cats
  • Earthquake Terror
  • Pinky Pye (The Pyes, #2)
  • Socks
  • Dog Lost
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo

Cat Pack (4 books)
  • The Healing of Texas Jake (Cat Pack #2)
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • Polo's Mother (Cat Pack #4)