Start by marking “James and the Giant Peach” as Want to Read:
James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  329,495 ratings  ·  6,048 reviews
When James accidentally drops some magic crystals by the old peach tree, strange things start to happen. The peach at the top of the tree begins to grow, and before long it's as big as a house. When James discovers a secret entranceway into the fruit and crawls inside, he meets wonderful new friends--the Old-Green-Grasshopper, the dainty Ladybug, and the Centipede of the m ...more
Hardcover, Borzoi Book Edition, 146 pages
Published September 10th 2002 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about James and the Giant Peach, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Omar As the Cloud People finished painting it and were getting ready to lower it down to earth using strings, the peach crashed into it because it was…moreAs the Cloud People finished painting it and were getting ready to lower it down to earth using strings, the peach crashed into it because it was going along the same course.(less)
hand some I feel that the BFG is better!! You must read it!!
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
54,250 books — 188,973 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
3,986 books — 6,929 voters

More lists with this book...

really liked it 4.00  ·
 ·  329,495 ratings  ·  6,048 reviews

Miranda Reads
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A bad trip on the fun dip.

From what I remember from the movie I saw during rainy-day recess in first grade, there's giant fruit, several oversized scary bugs and green glowy wormy things.

It was so surreal and scary to me at the time that I've avoided the movie ever since.

As I (finally) read the book, my scattered childhood memories fell into place. And my initial impression remains essentially the same: A really bad trip on the fun dip.
“I'd rather be fried alive and eaten by Mexicans.”
Hone
James
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book Review
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl is a very creative story built for everyone of all ages to enjoy. I think of it as a cross between 3 things: (1) Dr. Seuss, (2) Jack and the Beanstalk and (3) Harry Potter. 4 of 5 stars to this lovely keepsake!

I had to read this book, when it's my namesake, James. But the similarities end there. James' parents have passed away and he lives with his awful aunt and uncle. A mysterious man gives him a package which helps him grow this giant pea
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I read this so many times as a child and I was always so fiercely jealous of James.

James is a dreamer. He has a boring life and one day he gets the opportunity to experience something weird and surreal. Everyday breaks away from mundanity and becomes something exciting and unusual. James makes friends with interesting insects and explores places he has never seen. A giant peach takes him there. His dreams become reality.

This is certainly a story that could make any child (or adult too) fall in
Darth J
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For a brief period in my childhood, I was obsessed with this. After seeing the trailer, I noticed that the movie trailer tie-in edition was available in the next month's book order form so I had to have it to read before I saw it.

Then I saw the movie and of course, really loved it. It was whimsical and visually appealing, even if it did deviate from the source material in parts.

I even remember wanting to only eat and drink peach stuff for a while, and since it was the 90's I had to have my Snapp
Ahmad Sharabiani
James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl
James and the Giant Peach is a popular children's novel written in 1961 by British author Roald Dahl. The plot centers on a young English orphan boy who enters a gigantic, magical peach, and has a wild and surreal cross-world adventure with seven magically-altered garden bugs he meets. They set off on a journey to escape from James' two mean and cruel aunts. Roald Dahl was originally going to write about a giant cherry, but changed it to James and the Giant P
Muna
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
When I was in third grade, the first great crush of my life, Scott Murphy, stood up on the picnic table outside of the trailer that housed my third grade class and instead of reading his lines -- James' words -- from his paperback copy while we were all trying to rehearse the chapter we were supposed to present to the entire class the next day, he performed the most passionate version of "Paradise City" by Guns N Roses that I have ever seen.

To this day, I love Gun N Roses, I love Scott Murphy, a
Michael Finocchiaro
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
As always, Roald Dahl spins the most fantastic wonderful tales for children and James and the Giant Peach is up there with his greatest ones. It is also a wonderful animated film. Don't deprive your children of fantastic stories such as this one - there are one in a million!
Luca Ambrosino
ENGLISH (James and the Giant Peach) / ITALIANO

«Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life. He lived peacefully with his mother and father in a beautiful house beside the sea. There were always plenty of other children for him to play with, and there was the sandy beach for him to run about on, and the ocean to paddle in. It was the perfect life for a small boy»
The problem arises when his parents get eaten by a rhino! However, this regrettable and sad incident marks the be
Lynda
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and adults alike
Recommended to Lynda by: Banned Books Group
James and the Giant Peach - B A N N E D!

Recently I joined the Banned Books group and one of the group reads for this month was James and the Giant Peach. I'm sure there are many GR readers who have read a Roald Dahl book and/or seen a movie adaptation of one of his books. If you have, then you would know that Dahl has consistently written stories that entertain children with morals and life lessons that even adults can appreciate.

So why was this book banned?

Let's first take a look at what Jame
Leo .
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story both fascinated and scared me when I was a child. 👍🐯
Hannah Greendale

James Henry Trotter is forced to live with his dreadful Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker after his beloved parents are killed in a tragic incident with a rhinoceros. There's no place as dreary and lonely as the house atop the hill where he lives with his aunts. James suspects his bad luck will change after a mysterious man arrives and offers him a bag of magic crystals. The way in which the crystals alter his ci
Mariah Roze
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
2017 is the year of reading Roald Dahl for me! I'm trying to read all his books that I can get my hands on plus reread all the books I've previously read of his :)

When I read this book a very long time ago I rated in 3 stars. I think as an adult I enjoyed reading this book more than I did as a child.

James accidentally drops some magic crystals by an old peach tree. This causes the peach at the top of the tree to grow huge!! James enters the fruit and meets some new friends: a grasshopper, Ladyb
Matt
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
I have always been taught to start at the beginning, which seemed like sage advice when I wanted to explore some of the children's stories that Roald Dahl crafted over his long and illustrious career. Choosing this work, apparently his first stab at children's literature, proved highly entertaining and a wonderful way to spend a few hours. After an accident claims the life of his parents, young James Henry Trotter is sent to live with his wicked aunts, facing a period of miserable adjustment. Wh ...more
Patrick
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm going to be completely honest here. I didn't like this book.

Usually, if I don't care for a book, I keep schtum about it here. Not only is it not as much fun to talk about books I didn't like, but bad-mouthing other author's books is pretty rude.

But, given that Dahl has passed on, and a fair number of people ask me for book recommendations for their kids. I figured I'd chime in with my opinion about this one.

I recently read it with my son, and while it wasn't *awful,* it was just... Meh. I
Sam Quixote
Magic beans transforms an ordinary peach into a gigantic piece of fruit and its surrounding insect populace human-sized, before going on to rescue James Henry Trotter from his sad life with his evil aunts, Spiker and Sponge.

I remember not really liking James and the Giant Peach all that much when I was a kid but I still thought it was an ok book. On re-reading though, eh, no - it’s not very good at all!

There’s no real story - the peach heads to America for no reason - and plot elements were to
Ammara Abid
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
midnightfaerie
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, classics
I read James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl with my five year old. We had just finished Charlotte's Web and I was looking for chapter books I could enjoy as well. And I knew we had the movie so we could watch it when we were done. It turned out to be a great choice. Dahl uses the cliffhanger method at the end of almost every one of his chapters, and each chapter is only a page or two long. That combined with great illustrations, made for a win-win situation. I often ended a chapter only to ha ...more
Fatima
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ابتدای داستان خیلی خیلی شبیه داستان سیندرلا هست منتها شخصیت اصلی داستان اینجا پسر و زیر دست عمه های بدجنسش زندگی میکند و ... پایان شیرینش و شخصیت هایی از حشرات غول آسای مهربان که در کنار جیمز یاریش میکردند و یک عدد هلوی خوشمزه ی واقعا بزرگ ، دلگرمی خوبی برای فرزندی که کتاب رو برایش میخوانیم هست و حتما داستان را دوست خواهد داشت ، البته کودک درون من هم این داستان رو خیلی دوست داشت به طوری که فیلمش رو هم دانلود کرده و دیدم و اون هم جالب و دوستداشتنی بود ...
Ken
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dahl’s first children’s book perfectly captures why he’s such a beloved author.

From the spirt of adventure to the weird quirky comedy of James’s parents being killed by escaped rhinoceros, the book juggles everything that a child would wish to read.

Mostly importantly are the insect characters that inhabit the peach, all play their part in the journey and help educate the reader on natural history.
From the glow worms light to the spiders web used for hammocks.

This book definitely peaked my intere
Amy Talluto
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
A funny, dark and poetic book. I read this after seeing a documentary about Roald Dahls' life and hearing some of the book's passages narrated within the perspective of his time cramped up in a WWII bomber plane as a bombardier (he was very tall). The peach represents the polar opposite of being in a noisy and clattering war plane, manning a gun and always under the threat of death. The peach is a peaceful, sweet and quiet flying machine.
mark monday
used to dream of being James. had my special favorites amongst all the talking insects, but really they were all my favorites. also used to look at animal encyclopedias and write lists of my favorite animals. then I'd imagine going on an Incredible Journey with them. animals are so much better than people!
aPriL does feral sometimes
James Henry Trotter is a sweetie, and I absolutely adore this kid and his garden-friendly insect friends. The illustrations are so cute.

After enduring abusive aunts for three years who despise James after they agreed to raise him from the age of four when his parents died, James meets a mysterious man in the garden who gives him a bag of magical rice-sized crystals. He spills the crystals accidentally near his aunts' sad peach tree losing every one. It's a catastrophe for James, who was hoping f
Marnie  Krüger
I love how Roald Dahl can transport you; can make your imagination come alive.
He makes you feel like a kid again!
I've read a lot of his work as a child, but never this one. SO it was my first time. And I loved it.

Visit

characters
Noel
For some ridiculous reason, I never read any Roald Dahl when I was a kid. So now that my kids are at ages where they can enjoy his books, I’m super excited to be reading these with them. My oldest (6), loved this book. She’s declared it to be the best book ever. I also really enjoyed it, and would have read it myself even if I didn’t have kids. My four year old however was indifferent, she’s mostly excited to watch the movie. 😅
Trish
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't seem to stop reading books by Roald Dahl! :D

This time it's about a boy whose parents die so he has to live with two aunts, who are terrible people. They constantly mistreat him and keep him from meeting other children.
Just one small note here: Why are the bad people in Roald Dahl's stories always either enormously fat or very long and thin?! It's a constant throughout his stories and I wonder if there is a special reason that can be found in his life's story?!

Another note here: A boy lo
lydia
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“'My dear young fellow,' the Old-Green-Grasshopper said gently, 'there are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven't started wondering about yet.'”

*4.5 stars

Quite creepy, quite funny, quite whimsical and cute, James and The Giant Peach might not be as good as Matilda or as magical as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but Roald Dahl, master storyteller, never disappoints.
James Henry Trotter is about to embark on the adventure of his lifetime, when a giant peach starts growing in
Sara Kamjou
خوب بود دنیای جالبی داشت اما از اونجایی که شباهتاش به چارلی و آسانسور شیشهای خیلی زیاد بود یه جاهایی تکراری بود روندش. به هر در مل لذتبخش بود.
-----------------------------------
بخشهای ماندگار کتاب:
شاید ما غرق نمیشدیم! شاید هم آنقدر ترسیده بودیم که فکر میکردیم داریم غرق میشویم.
...
در تمام این دنیای ما چیزهای زیادی هست که تو هنوز به آنها فکر نکردهای.
Meli
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Muy tierno y entretenido.
No es lo mejor de Roald, pero sí una excelente aventura.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I've never visited Central Park, but if I ever do, I'll be watching for the giant peach pit where James Henry Trotter settled happily after his wild excursion.

I knew I liked this book as a kid but I couldn't remember the details of the story. The thing that stayed in my mind all these years was the feeling of claustrophobia when James makes his way inside the peach and finds all the giant, friendly creepy-crawlies inside the peach pit. As a kid you always place yourself within the story, and I
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

The only way to describe this book is "fun". Yeah, it's got whimsy and adventure and imagination and some very Dahlian deaths and the Horrible People with their Horrible Traits, but it's not got that kind of wonderful spirit that some his other books have.

Whilst I'd never say that adults should not read children's books, I personally haven't been getting the same amount of enjoyment from these books
Sumaya's reading response 1 4 Jul 16, 2018 10:09PM
Play Book Tag: James and the Giant Peach ~ 4 stars 3 21 Jun 12, 2018 03:38PM
Childrens 3 11 Apr 11, 2017 11:33AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • The Great Brain Reforms (Great Brain, #5)
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Runaway Ralph (Ralph S. Mouse, #2)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School, #3)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #2)
  • The Return of the Indian
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • The Velveteen Rabbit
  • Strega Nona
  • Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
  • In the Night Kitchen
  • Horton Hears a Who!
  • The Trumpet of the Swan

“I'd rather be fried alive and eaten by Mexicans.” 140 likes
“My dear young fellow,' the Old-Green-Grasshopper said gently, 'there are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven't started wondering about yet.” 105 likes