Start by marking “Creative Writing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Creative Writing for Dummies

Creative Writing for Dummies (For Dummies)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Do you have an idea that you're burning to get down on paper? Do you want to document your travels to far-flung places, or write a few stanzas of poetry? Whether you dream of being a novelist, a travel writer, a poet, a playwright or a columnist, Creative Writing For Dummies shows you how to unlock your creativity and choose the genre of writing that suits you best. Walkin ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by For Dummies (first published November 18th 2010)

Angela Young
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a MUST READ for any writer of fiction in any genre. I've read many books about writing and attended several courses (including an MA) but this book, because it's in this series I suppose, starts at the very beginning and misses nothing out (the things it's taken for granted that we'll know which we, I, often don't). So, for instance, it's the only book about writing in which I've found a definition of what literary fiction is (a book that delves deeply, psychologically, into its characte ...more
Christina
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Not really got much to say on this. I tend to re-read it once a year or so to freshen my brain up. There's some good advice and then some advice that needs updating (e.g. self publishing) but if you're interesting in writing then I'd say to give it a read.
Margret
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a very informative and a good book. It gives you the tools on "How to Write" and encourage you to use it. I loved it.
Robert C.
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, knowledge
A very comprehensive and relevant book with both width and depth. Subjects include: how to get started with your writing, the elements of Creative Writing (character, plot, narrators, structure, editing etc.), different types of fiction and non-fiction and how to find a publisher as well as alternative routes to getting your work into the public's eye.
Every subject is covered and each is covered in useful depth such that I am left with the feeling that I need to own a copy of this book and refer
Elise Edmonds
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has a little information about a lot of topics. It's good for browsing through and for giving a few pointers, but if you want anything in detail you'll need another book.

It has good links, recommendations and references.

It was written 6 years ago and could do with a bit of updating to put more emphasis on e-books, social media and use of computers and software to help with the writing process. But much of the information already included was relevant, and concessions are made to the m
Nazire
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I think this is a great book if you're thinking about writing a novel, short story or an article, but just doing preliminary research. Everything writing related is nicely packaged into one book. It's not very detailed, and you get a gist of things, but it's a great starter to make you think about writing and what things you might need to do. Things other than writing you might need to think about and how to go about publishing is all in here, which is useful. The recommended books are helpful a ...more
Alice Chamberlain
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
This is one of those books about writing that has it all. Maggie Hamand discusses not only novel writing but poetry, screenplays, autobiography, and non-fiction. Each chapter covers a different topic and goes in-depth with helpful hints, websites to visit and exercises to try. One of the most detailed books on writing I have read so far. One star taken off, though, because it ruined the ending of Anna Karenina, which I haven't read yet!
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, non-fiction, 2013, may
I saw this book as an ebook download from my local library and thought I'd give it a go and see if it has any useful information in it that could be helpful to me. I'm so pleased that I borrowed it and I wouldn't hesitate in buying it if I was new to creative writing. It is worth the read. It gives some nice, simple and very useful information in all forms of creative writing, from novel writing and short stories, to play writing, non-fiction and even biographies.

Dannii Elle
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Having done a degree in writing and then proceeding to do no writing for an entire year, I felt as rusty as an old knife in the gutter. Hence, this read! I found it motivated me without exactly offering me anything new. But it did make me write again, so kudos to you book!
Tina
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really good and encouraging, not like other "how to write" books which makes you feel like you have to right certain things and not others, it encourages you to write for the sake of loving to right, it encourages you to be yourself.

Skye
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Checked this out in a bid to improve my teaching classes for writing, but I think this helped me more than my kids. On my way to kickstart story writing again :)
Heavenlypeachgarden
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good and imformative
Tammy
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought it was okay
D. Wayne Moore
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was very helpful in explaining the writing process to the beginning writer. I often refer back to it whenever I get stuck on some technical points.
Emilia Brusin
Nov 27, 2014
Seawood
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Comprehensive and basic; nice to see a UK version.
Jayne
  • Professional Plot Outline Mini-Course
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies
  • Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
  • Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
  • The Five Minute Writer: Exercise And Inspiration In Creative Writing In Five Minutes A Day
  • Manga for Dummies
  • Organizing for Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies