Start by marking “Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.

Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.

This book provides a comprehensive look at Dr. Erickson's theories in practice, through a series of case studies covering the kinds of problems that are likely to occur at various stages of the human life cycle. The results Dr. Erickson achieves sometimes seem to border on the miraculous, but they are brought about by a finely honed technique used by a wise, intuitive, ...more
Published April 17th 1993 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Therapy

Start your review of Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.
Frrobins
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
As a therapist who utilizes brief therapeutic techniques, I'd been encouraged to look up the works of Milton Erickson for some history on the field. While reading this book, I struggled between the viewing this as a history versus a viable method of doing therapy.

And as a method of performing therapy, I can't say I recommend this. In addition to the use of therapies that have proved to be harmful, such as age-regression hypnosis, some of the solutions Erickson prescribed, such as a mother
Patrick
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my view of what is possible and made me laugh out loud repeatedly. I finished it with a profound awe and fondness for Dr Erickson.
Melvin Marsh, M.S.
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, hypnosis
I think much of the book is solid, but, of course, dated. I cannot imagine being allowed to do some of this nowadays, however it is hard to argue with Dr. Erickson's results and for that aspect I enjoyed the book. I think one of my favourites were either his transcripts or anything that was in his own words. He was a fascinating guy. I also had to laugh at how much his son Robert was mentioned (I had the pleasure of meeting Robert just a few weeks ago).
Oralia
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un viaje de estudios reflejado en cada página donde aprendemos el enfoque y visión de quien sin duda representa una base en el tratamiento psicológico, nos devuelve la comprensión en el paciente y la importancia de estar a la altura del supuesto saber que nos trae la profesión. Una eminencia en su campo sin lugar a dudas.
Sylvester Kuo
The book is predominantly focused on family cycle and hynotism, along with some more novel techniques used in brief therapy. Kinda tedious to read since half of it consisted of Erickson's interview with the patients, but it did contain some interesting cases.
Jehree Anderson
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Novel techniques in Brief Therapy. Really enjoyed reading more in depth on Erikson’s methods
Ben
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
David
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book. Explains life from start to end. Each chapter is dedicated to a different phase of life with the case studies of individuals that sought Erickson's hypnotherapy and how he also helped the individuals through the situation they had.

This is a great book for anyone that enjoys psychology and all its wonders. Also, Erickson was and is still a major factor in the study of hypnotherapy.
Matt Smith
Apr 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: therapists / psych grad students

... is worth the read for it's reviewal of "paradoxical assignments" therapists can suggest for patients.

Nothing groundbreaking unless of course one subscribes intensely to such modalities.

Interesting though in that Haley insists "going with/encouraging patient's resistance is a good way to reinforce the therapeutic alliance." He goes on to describe how this plays out and it's actually pretty convincing -- just depends on the tonality & context of rapport.

Not bad.
Joshua
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty interesting book for anyone who is intrigued with Milton Erickson or hypnosis. I learnt a lot about hypnosis reading it. And quite frankly, most of Erickson's case studies are just beautiful. Particularly, in the last chapter, the Prussian German man he helps with a stroke by offending him/pissing him off and using the Prussian willpower to drive himself to health. It's kind of amazing the way Erickson can find things like that with everyone he interacts with.
Lisa
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the case studies in this book. I also admired Dr. Erickson's technique in dealing with patients. His techniques gave me a lot of food for thought in how I deal with others and with my own issues. Dr. Erickson has inspired me to think more of the outcome in changing my behavior and less about why I'm behaving in a certain way.
Charles Frode
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful practical compendium of master therapist, Milton Ericson's techniques. Anyone who is a healer, communicator, teacher, or human being needs to learn his stuff. It is so practical, powerful, and useful. Get this Ericson book first, then the other more focused ones.
Jamey
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is an anecdotal book about the rather miraculous short-term therapies conducted by the legendary hypnotist Milton Erickson. It all seems too good to be true. Still, the stories are oddly inspiring.
Kerry
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great information on a great therapist. Milton Erickson and his techniques can be a mystery, but this book makes his work more understandable and functional. Some of the work is dated, but much of the work is very useful to many therapy situations.
Bill Powers
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating (from my perspective as a non-psychologist) look at non-traditional indirect/conversational hypnosis. Yes, I am going to use it in a story!
Mark Manderson
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Erickson is basically the father of hypnosis. This book covers example after example of how he'd put people in a Trance and get to solution quickly. Great info.
Freya Magnusson
Milton Erickson,M.D. founder of modern hypnosis - using that for therapy was an interesting read.
Alex Giurgea
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: strategica
O carte care mai aseaza o caramida in intelegerea succesului terapeutic. Are un continut dificil, este plina de studii de caz, insa ideile principale se sedimenteaza.
Paula

• Solution-Oriented Hypnosis: An Ericksonian Approach
  • Life Under Glass
  • Santeria: African Magic in Latin America
  • UFO Religion: Inside Flying Saucer Cults and Culture
  • NLP: NLP Master's Handbook: The 21 Neuro Linguistic Programming & Mind Control Techniques That Will Change Your Mind And Life Forever (NLP Training, Self-Esteem, Confidence Series)
  • Song of Riddles: Deciphering the Song of Songs
  • Mañana es Halloween (Mañana es Halloween, #1)
  • Mind Over Money How to Program Your Mind for Wealth
  • Trances People Live
  • Assassin's Creed: Heresy (Assassin's Creed, #9)
  • Shadows Before Dawn: Finding the Light of Self-Love Through Your Darkest Times
  • Ask Your Guides: Connecting to Your Divine Support System
  • Serpent of Light: Beyond 2012: The Movement of the Earth's Kundalini and the Rise of the Female Light
  • Master of Hypnosis: Learn How Hypnosis Really Works with Become Superhuman (Become Superhuman!!!)
  • Professional hypnotism manual: Introducing physical and emotional suggestibility and sexuality
  • A Guide to Trance Land: A Practical Handbook of Ericksonian and Solution-Oriented Hypnosis
  • Hoy es Halloween (Mañana es Halloween, #2)