Start by marking “Doctor Who: Grimm Reality” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Grimm Reality

Doctor Who: Grimm Reality

(Eighth Doctor Adventures #50)

There is a world where wishes can come true. Where any simpleton can become a king and any scullery maid might be a princess in disguise. Kindness and virtue are rewarded, and the wicked are made to dance in red-hot shoes until they die. But a witch’s oven will cook both the virtuous and the wicked alike, and many a frog-prince is crushed beneath the wheels of a cart ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 1st, 288 pages
Published October 28th 2001 by BBC Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Start your review of Doctor Who: Grimm Reality
James Barnard
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This one isn’t likely to make anyone’s top ten Doctor Who novels. That’s not a fault of the book itself, rather its placing in the range. Nestled between ‘The City of the Dead’ – a stark, atmospheric, New Adventures-esque tale set in contemporary New Orleans – and ‘The Adventuress of Henrietta Street – one of the most important books of the range – this story of a planet where fairy tales are allowed to run amok tends to be forgotten these days.

Hindsight tells us that writers should be very wary
Richard Harrison
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Mixing Doctor Who and fairy tales has been done before and been done better. If aliens are always dredging through human minds for fantasy to bring to life, why is it always fairies and giants? Especially in the future, I'm sure there's more current, vivid stories to mine.

The Doctor and companions are well depicted though I'm a little bit over the amnesiac Eighth Doctor, there's something a bit unsettling at having him without his memories, makes his carefree charm seem a little bit more
Mer
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A world whose rules are governed by fairy tale stories. A bit of a mind-f, but fun to read if you can untangle it as you read.
Em Parrott
Mar 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: doctor-who
What the heck was that?
This story was a mish-mash of complete nonsense from start to finish. Looking back at the whole thing I can just barely make out a plot, but the writer tried to be so mysterious that most of the way through the story I couldn't even tell what was going on. The only reason this was entertaining enough to finish was because of all the Grimm fairytale stories.
However, the Doctor's character journey takes a few steps and Anji and Fitz have interesting side stories.
I never
Leela42
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: eighth-doctor, eda
Eighth Doctor Adventure with Anji and Fitz. A giddy mix of fairy tale and quantum theory. I enjoyed it, but I can't quite imagine re-reading it. Page 146 was page 150, so there were two 150s; I wonder if all copies of this book are the same? Toward the end of chapter 13 it suddenly gets harder to follow, as if an editor left off. That's when some amateurishly wrong words start cropping up--"tally" instead of "dally", "gambit" instead of "gamut"....
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor, who, 8th, fitz, anji, eda, 2014, 1401, xm
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2241878.html[return][return]A rather odd Eighth Doctor Adventure, with the Doctor, Fitz and Anji trapped in a fantasy world where fairy-tales (hence the 'Grimm' of the title) are more or less true. Some good Anji moments in particular, and a few nice descriptive passages, but this has been done better elsewhere.
Sergiy
Richard
Jun 20, 2014
Terry
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book earlier this month and I can say that I jumped into the 8th Doctor series with little hiccup. Sure I probably would have gotten more out of it if I found the book that came before it for the characterization, but ultimately it didn't hinder me in my experience.

The story is about The Doctor and his comanions Anji and Fritz when they land on a planet that is 'alive' and manifests that existance in the form of fairy tale based magic. Think magic sleep spells that keep princesses in
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• These Are Not The Trinity Papers
  • Doctor Who: Slipback
  • Doctor Who: Engines of War
  • Stranger Tales of the City (The City of the Saved, #6)
  • Tales of the Civil War (The City of the Saved, #5)
Simon Bucher-Jones is a British author, poet, artist, and amateur actor, best known for his Doctor Who novels for Virgin and the BBC and as a contributor to the Faction Paradox spin-off series.

He is known for a hard SF approach. He has also written Cthulhu Mythos short stories. He also reviewed books for the Fortean Times, and for small press papers. He maintains a blog at

Eighth Doctor Adventures (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors