Start by marking “Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys: Recipes, Strategies, and Survival Techniques” as Want to Read:
Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys: Recipes, Strategies, and Survival Techniques

Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys: Recipes, Strategies, and Survival Techniques

Recipes and strategies for bringing back the family meal

When first published in 2009, Lucinda Scala Quinn's Mad Hungry met with critical acclaim, but it wasn't just the media that fell hard for this book--it was mothers everywhere, who embraced her message to bring back the family meal and loved the ease, simplicity, and robust goodness of her recipes. The book went on to
Published October 16th 2009 by Artisan Publishers (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mad Hungry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Hungry

Start your review of Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys: Recipes, Strategies, and Survival Techniques
Aniesa
Nov 03, 2016 added it
The recipes in this book are good, and the boys loved them, so much so that I bought a copy (I checked it out at the library first). True, the idea that it is for men and boys is kind of gimmicky, but I have boys, it was tasty, so whatever. However, last night as I paged through the last sections I came across the recipe for "Fat Girl Red Rice," named so because he author couldn't stop eating it. Now, many times through this book the author says to have lots of extra rice, pasta, etc to fill ...more
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I thought this was a good comfort-food cookbook. The recipes vary in difficulty and require various techniques, but there's a pretty solid range in here. The cooking times are accurate, though there's no nutritional information.

The thing that grated on me after a while was the framing device - that this was how men and boys wanted to eat. After a while it got kind of tired, and I almost found it sexist - who says men don't like fancy granola? Or always eat big breakfasts? Or that women don't
Barbara
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my new year's resolutions is to cook (not bake) more for my boys - things that they will actually eat. So far so good! Plenty of good & fairly easy recipes including plenty of quick & easy recipes that can be made from ingredients already stocked in your pantry.
Rebekah H.
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
My dear brothers bought this slightly pointed gift for me two years ago. To my surprise, the practical and unique assortment of recipes are all keepers. So thank you, self serving brothers who appreciate good food.
Emily
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook! Healthy, natural meals with easy to follow instructions to provide meals for your family.
Annie
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The whole feeding men and boys part is stupid since I eat more than the man and boy in my house, but the recipes are great.
Shannon
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here’s my verdict for Mad Hungry: Feeding Men & Boys by Lucinda Scala Quinn.

To Read: Yes. There are definitely some helpful hints for feeding always hungry boys, which is something I struggle with. She also tells some nice stories about cooking with her sons. What she doesn’t talk about a lot in the book is how to feed men and boys on a budget, and I think many of us struggle with feeding our kids lots of healthy food without breaking the bank. I do have one suggestion for that–lots of eggs!
JC
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I went into this thinking it would be a humorous look at feeding guys, and while there were a few funny moments, I was mistaken as to what it was. In reality this is a cookbook, mainly a cookbook that gives first time cooking mothers the instructions and recipes to feed their family. Decent.
JoAnn Yerem
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read whether you have menfolk to feed or not.
Erin
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
An easy, simple, pleasant read.
Douglas Lord
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
his really seems to be a cook book—something that dudes who cook will actually pick up and want to read. Quinn is an Italian mom who knows the emotional connection between food and men (her husband and three boys)—that it’s one step from breastfeeding in terms of comfort, succor, love. The bond is as strong as blood, as Red Sox Nation, as the good kind of family. And show me the man who doesn’t love being cooked for and I’ll show you the president of the local chapter of Psychopaths for a ...more
Esther
Jun 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Amazing cover and pictures :] I loved seeing the pictures of her family; her husband and her three boys. It was like a personal family cookbook. The recipes are good and easy to make. The instructions were clear and the results were usually successful. Yet, most of the recipes had too many ingredients so I wouldn't recommend this book if your looking for recipes with low costs :/

One of my favorite recipe in the book is the Velvety Chocolate Pudding. My sister and brother loves it! They ask me
Poiema
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how I came across this cookbook, but I found it at a time I was setting personal goals for improving my kitchen skills. I wanted to hone my ability to CONSISTENTLY turn out a great pot roast, a perfect fried egg, succulent ribs, etc. I wanted a repertoire of dishes to play by memory. This book not only provided the know how, but also great inspiration. Here's an example:
"Create a legacy. Serve old-fashioned--meaning simple-- meals, the kind moms everywhere have always made. . .
Emily Von pfahl
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I find that cookbooks tend to be either a good read or filled with good recipes. This one appears to be both. It certainly was a good read and the recipes sound fantastic. I also love when a cookbook includes colored photographs of the majority of recipes so that you know what you are trying to achieve. She does most things from scratch so this isn't a cookbook for the time crunched or the novice, but none of the recipes require unusual equipment and very few require specialty ingredients. The ...more
Nicholas & Megan Clinch
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery
This was handed down from my MIL to my sister to me, and I've used it off & on for family gathering meal prep, esp for winter comfort food & letting older nieces/nephews help with breakfast. When our 6 yr old son pulled it down & began calling out ingredients one Saturday am, his 5 yr old brother immediately began pulling out measuring cups, whisks, bowls & excitedly asking me to let them mix pancakes while I made coffee. They have read aloud the anecdotes about boys in the ...more
Cara Rogers
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love. I'm by no means any of the things that this woman is, but she has filled me with much needed advice and ideas for the future in front of me. I'm in love with the wit and the recipes were all beautiful. As was the book itself--marvelous. I loved the colors. I loved the all together approach that it held. I think I will most definitely be checking out more of her cook books. I quite enjoyed the experience that came with this. I'm no cook, but the way these recipes were presented ...more
Catherine Woodman
I think i could write this book--and write it better, so I have alot of quibbles with the book, but overall it is a sound approach to feeding boys-to-men, and I think has some good tps on that--lunch and dinner are much superior to the breakfast chapter, and she is a little optimistic about the green vegetables, in my experience, but a good showing all in all. The photography throughout is stunning, and I wish there were more of it-there are a number of recipes that I would have liked to see ...more
Fincalian
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I like the recipes in this book, but there is a lot of emphasis on using organic ingredients, something I don't always agree with.

I enjoyed this cookbook. And since Goodreads deleted my review, I will only retype some of it.

Basically, this cookbook is not entirely for beginners. It lacks some basic instructions that people who have been cooking for a long time will know readily. This meant I had some trial and error approaches to cooking these recipes since I am by no means experienced at
Stephanie
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
While boys are normally garbage disposals in my family when it comes to food this book shows you how to jazz up some of your everyday recipes. While I found a number of successful recipes I don't like cookbooks that put stupid recipes in them for example putting scrabbled eggs on a bagel and calling it a recipe. However, this book contained well written easy recipes that I looked forward to trying myself.
Heidi Rogers
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: incomplete
I have to admit that I haven't made a recipe out of this book –because I'm just too tired to cook much right now. However, I loved reading her anecdotes (although some made me roll my eyes) and I think there are enough good-looking staples and interesting dishes that I'd like to buy this. Pumpkin Flan on pg. 247 looks especially promising. ;)

I picked this up thinking there would be easy, large, filling meals inside. There's some of that, but there's a lot more too.
Nikki
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Yummy recipes, but what I really loved were the headings under each recipe! Lucinda knows her hungry men and boys- and so do I! I made the creamed spinach (not perfectly- I forgot to stem the spinach first), and I thought it was divine. My boys tried it and the oldest said, "well.... the sauce is good." Ha ha... and then later in the week, "Can you make green eggs? What??? You WASTED all the spinach on that... stuff!" Maybe I'll stick to pureeing the vegetables for now.
Nicola
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
She had me at 'men like hot sauce.' Like me, the author also has three boys, so I figured if anyone understood my plight of trying to fill seemingly bottomless bellies, she would. And she definitely does. My only beef is that nearly all the recipes seemed to contain carbohydrates in the form of bread or pasta or flour. I'm on a quest to move away from the habit of incorporating those in every meal, so I was disappointed in that regard, but that's in no way a fault of the book.
Rachel
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent guide to portion sizes, ideas of what to cook for men/boys that will satisfy their hunger needs, getting them interested about cooking and excited about what they eat. I liked that she created the book based off feeding her three sons and husband, and the book included personal quotes/recipes from her family, as well as photos. The food did look delicious, esp dishes like the Pumpkin Flan, Aunt Patty's Coffee Cake and Flat Roasted Chicken, just to name a few.
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This cookbook is wonderful simply for the tips and tricks that Quinn has peppered throughout...and the recipes are damn good, too! I've tried about 3 of the recipes thus far, and all have turned out beautifully. This tells me that her instructions are written clearly, and that Quinn has a panache for creating filling, healthy recipes that will satisfy a finicky eater (which I am!)
Brianon Sheffield
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
my new favorite cookbook!! I read this cover-cover over the weekend, which is something i have never done with a cookbook. She has tips and tricks for everything from how to buy perfectly ripe produce, to how to debone a whole chicken! I am making a few of her recipes for this week's dinners and I'm looking forward to more!
April Driver
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am reading this cookbook through like a novel for the second time. I love the style of the book. Quinn offers great recipes with side notes and personal stories. This book will inspire you to cook for your family while at the same time educating and entertaining. I love this fun yet simple guide for cooking basic, healthy food for a family.
Mrs.
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
It was hard to rate this book, but in the end, all ratings come from the reviewer's perspective. If you don't have many cookbooks, or you haven't been cooking a long time, this book might be 3 or 4 stars for you. If, like me, you have over 1000 cookbooks and have been cooking since dirt was invented, there really is not much new or interesting here, except the premise.
Christina
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nice cookbook with some great hearty recipes. Not sure if I'll have any success getting anyone male in my house to ever eat salad but there's definitely a number of recipes in it that I'm going to try.
Mnr_t
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
She's an excellent cook, and though I was put off by the gender-specific meme, I found some interesting new twists. I'm past the point of cooking for eat-the-furniture teens (of both genders :D) but highly recommend this for workable, delicious, and visually appealing food.
Grace
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not that this book applies to only men and boys, but it's for anyone learning to cook. It has tips on technique, what you should have in your pantry, etc. It bascially helps the non-cook fend for him or herself.

• The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier
  • Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker
  • Skinnytaste One and Done: 140 No-Fuss Dinners for Your Instant Pot®, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer, Sheet Pan, Skillet, Dutch Oven, and More: 140 No-Fuss Dinners Sheet Pan, Skillet, Dutch Oven, and More
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • The Best Homemade Kids' Lunches on the Planet: Make Lunches Your Kids Will Love with More Than 200 Deliciously Nutritious Meal Ideas
  • The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough (The Yada Yada Prayer Group #4)
  • Atomic Home: A Guided Tour of the American Dream