Start by marking “Faking Sweet” as Want to Read:
Faking Sweet

Faking Sweet

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A novel about best friends, betrayal, and drama

Holly might be new, but she already knows who to watch out for: Jess Flynn, the most popular girl in the freshman class. Holly's best friend back in Melbourne, Calypso, says Jess is a liar, a shoplifter, and a boyfriend–stealer. Calypso wants revenge for her ex–friend's betrayal, and Holly's only too happy to oblige. But it's
Published September 1st 2006 by Penguin Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about Faking Sweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faking Sweet

Watermelon Daisy
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
FIRST IMPRESSION:
Probably something really girly and cheesy. I was recommended this by one of my friends, so, ugh. I had to read it, seeing as it was general fiction. The cover was okay.

WRITING STYLE:
It was simplistic. I remember that. It was quite insightful into Holly's life. I liked the quote added to the story which made it more "deep" than what I first thought.

PLOT:
My biggest problem was the plot. And the characters. But with the plot, I don't know why the person (the "betrayer") had a reas
Venus Hou
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Are you looking for a girl drama occurring at school? A book containing friendship, backstabbing, lies, and romance? If that’s so this is definitely the book you’re looking for.

Holly was on her way to her sixteenth school, St Clementine, excited yet terrified. However, she thought to herself that she finally had a reason to be here, a mission. A mission assigned by her best friend back in Melbourne, Calypso. Which was to bring down Jess Flynn the most popular girl in Year 9. It wasn’t easy for
Lore
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. One of the few books out there I just can't put down. It's about a girl called holl who afetr moving to sydney is carrign out a revenge plan on behalf of her friend back in melbourne, calypso, who wants jessica flynn, the most popular girl in year nine, to be braugt down. Calypso claims she's a shoplifting, lying, boyfriend stealer. but jessica isn't actually matchign up to the picture calypso painbted of her....
JusMe
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable book, with a wonderful believable storyline. With a lesson for each of us whether young or old, you can't always believe what you are told.

"Learn from yesterday. Live for today. Hope for tomorrow."

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all the people all of the time."

"A bad word whispered will echo a hundred miles."

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver."
Jessica
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Faking Sweet is one of the first proper fiction books I ever read. I remember being captivated by its story of the lengths people will go to to get revenge and wondering if all teenage girls were that jaded and cruel. I particularly liked the use of text messages in the text - that was very innovative and exciting when I was a kid. All in all, a really enjoyable read for a kid or teenager, with a plot that might entertain older readers, as well.
Tara Calaby
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. It's not the best written piece of YA fiction I've ever read, but Burke seems to capture the essence of the age group very well. And, admittedly, it's totally my kind of YA crack ;)

I'd definitely pick up Burke's other works if I stumbled across them in the local library.
Grace
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the first J.C. Burke book i read and it was the first of many! i read this book when i was in high school and I really enjoyed it. Its a quick and easy read and will have young girls struggling to put it down!
Vivi
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I was expecting more from this book. However in general the book was a breeze.
Julie_ian_curtis
Ashlee
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it was a good book and i realised you should never belive what people tell you but instead discover it for yourself. I loved the book and recemend it to teens.
Ngoc Emily Le
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Holly is just so naive. I can actually guess the ending. But it was a fun and light book to read. Perfect for a lazy weekend :)
xXForever_LoveXx
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, since my name is Holly and I just met this writer today, I'm gonna go ahead and say that this book is great.

It was lovely to meet you, J.C.

I learnt some great stuff from you.

X
Hannah
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
For teenage girls, this was a very simple, if not predictable novel, but overall enjoyable.
Prajna
May 13, 2014 added it
Iris
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read but it wont make it on my top 50 favourite books list.
Hannah-Georgia Williams
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
IT WAS GREAT!
Piper
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: enjoyed
liked this book would read it agian
Zeinab Ahmadian
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • Finding Home
  • Undine (Undine, #1)
  • The Hush
  • Dear Swoosie (Girlfriend Fiction, #17)
  • Mystery At Saddle Creek (Saddle Creek, #2)
  • Jumping Fences
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost, #1)
  • Being Bindy
  • The Recruit (MTG Agencies #1)
  • In Ecstasy
  • Kat Got Your Tongue
  • The Stars at Oktober Bend
  • Illumination (Curse of The Bond Riders, #3)
  • Alexander Altmann A10567
  • Mahalia
  • Writing Clementine
http:/www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Burke/20821...
.J.C Burke was born in Sydney in 1965, the fourth of five sisters. With writers for parents, she grew up in a world of noise, drama and books, but she decided to become a nurse after her mother lost a long battle with cancer. Since Burke started writing in 1999, she has published a number of acclaimed books for teenagers and young adults, including Chi