Start by marking “Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #1)

Read Book

Starfire Angels (Dark Angel Chronicles #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  3,757 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
They've been coming here for thousands of years, using Earth as a sanctuary to escape threats from their own kind. Mankind knows them as angels, and one of them left a child upon her death to be raised as a human.

Raea is now a high school senior, and her life as a human is about to end. The crystal shard she bears is not a pretty pendant; it's a collective of powerful enti
Published August 4th 2009 by Prairie Star Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Starfire Angels, please sign up.
J.S. How often do you agree with your friend on books? I personally didn't enjoy this, but many others clearly did. And so I'm not gonna advise against it…moreHow often do you agree with your friend on books? I personally didn't enjoy this, but many others clearly did. And so I'm not gonna advise against it based on my opinion. I suggest you download the free 10% sample from amazon, it'll give you some idea of whether it's worth a shot x(less)

Traci
This book was almost painful to get through. It had such promise and I feel like it was just wasted.

Basically, this girl is belitting her friend for following some story about an angel that saves people in their town, and then she has some memories of before she was born, and then she realizes that she's of the same species that the angel is, and that they're aliens, and that this crystal she apparently has is... I don't know, another race of aliens all trapped inside crystal shards, or somethi
Maggie
Oct 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this book absolutely sucked. The only reason why I finished it is because I absolutely have to finish things I start. One thing summarizes my feelings: This book reads ill-used cliche all over it.

Where do I begin with how it sucks?

1. Character development sucks.

It's been a day since I finished it and I don't remember who's in it anymore.

Does that say something?

All I remember is that the story is cliched, the girl is so ear gratingly annoying in how stupid, immature, and naive she is (d
Sam
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
For me, this book wasn't great. Even though the main character, Raea was nice and likeable, the characters did not seem fully developed. Pretty much, I felt like I was reading one of those beginning chapter books all over again. You know, the ones where it tells you the main story but not much character info, and is also very predictable? Yep. Well, that basically sums up Starfire Angels for you. The story had a nice, cute ending that was very predictable, but I really found it annoying how the ...more
Cheryl
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it
All of Raea’s life, she knew she was different. She would have these weird dreams about her parents and a strange world. It was like the events were really but that couldn’t be possible as Raea has never been to this place. Raea’s Aunt Debbie and her Uncle Mike can’t offer any insight to why Raea keeps having these dreams. Besides these dreams, Raea has another secret…she has a pair of angel wings. Her Aunt, Uncle and friends don’t even know about her wings.

As if having wings wasn’t bad enough,
J.S.
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Oh, Raea, you are a horrible person. In fact, a more hateful protagonist I never have met.

It's disappointing. Truly. Because the whole Inari concept is pretty intriguing and I can tell serious thought was put into the theory behind it. But the cast of characters through which the story is told falls atrociously short on all levels.

Starfire Angels begins with Raea in school. She's cursing her misfortune at being cornered by her best friend, Josh, and subjected to his geek out over the 'Dark Ange
Ruth
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Raea Dahlrich spent her entire life as a regular, ordinary teenager. Then senior year hits and her entire world changes. She wakes up one morning with wings. It turns out she's an alien from another planet. As if that isn't bad enough, her aunt (who is her guardian) brings her neighbor, Elis, over to help her adjust to her newfound identity.

The problem is Elis is also a creepy senior who keeps to himself, and now he's the one who has to help her adjust to being an alien. But there is a bright s
Heather Mcginn
Jul 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Well, you get what you pay for. While the story had promise and potential, everything was rushed and poorly executed. I was extremely intrigued to find out where the Angels were truly from, however, I was disappointed to see it so underdeveloped. This was a free Kindle download and so I can’t complain to much, especially as it was so short.

There were several typos, the dialog was hurried and and some points confusing, and the plot, while promising, became absolutely absurd! The story begins w
Jagged
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-have
Kristina
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Let me start off by saying this, if you liked Hush, Hush then I think you would like this one. If you hated Hush, Hush I think you would LOVE this one. I didn't hate Hush, Hush but I had mixed feelings about it. This one gave me no mixed feelings. I completely and totally adored it!

I'm not even sure about how to describe it. You think it's paranormal at first but it's more of a sci-fi story. I'll say this much though...I adored it. Melanie's writing style is excellent and she draws you in with h
Krys
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
It is safe to say that I am uninterested in anymore books of this series. The characters lack depth and development, the plot lacks excitement and is inconsistently unrealistic. Not unrealistic in a sci-fi way but in a 'bad alibi' way. The author writes as if the reader is illiterate. The entire book just feels like a draft, like it's still in production and has yet to be critiqued and edited.
Maverynthia
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those that like alternate worlds, sci-fi and such like that
I'm going to preface this review with a trigger warning for drugging and rape. It's something that needs to be said before someone reads this book and my review and have it bring up horrible memories.

Honestly I wanted to like this book more, but where the author took this book is just... wrong. If you think this book is about Raea, you'd be wrong and that is where most of the fault lies.

Nilles builds Raea up to be a strong character and about 70% into the book.. yeah. So much for that.

(view spoi
Shelley
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it

Raea is a small town girl, reaching the end of her school years and life hasn't been too kind along the way. Her parents are dead, she lives with her aunt's family, including the obligatory whelp of a younger cousin and an uncle who would prefer her to be elsewhere.

Life is about to get harder as Raea learns she isn't quite what she thought and her sudden popularity isn't to do with her sparkling personality, but more to do with her mother's necklace, her inherited abilities, and the politics of
Josheka
More of my reviews @ Reading 24x7

3.5 STARS
Sigh There was just so much potential in this story! The idea that angels might be some other creatures from another planet, in short "aliens", was something new to read for me and really innovative. The Shirukans(the bad guys) fighting with Inaris (Angels) for Starfire (as it would give them power) seemed believable.
If only the characters were just as amazing as the concept...

I get that Raea didn't want to think of herself as an angel and how pressuri
Andrea
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Starfire Angels is about a girl who fins out she isn't human, she is what humans call angels. She bears a pendant which is actually one of four crystal shards that have the power to destroy the world. Raea is the Keeper of one of the shards.

Raea is confused at first and furious at her aunt for not telling her the truth. She must learn about her family, her past and how to protect the shard.

Meanwhile, a new guy starts at school who is actually an agent sent by those who want to steal the shard.
Carl J.
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice blend of sci-fi and paranormal, June 3, 2012

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Teenager Raea is different. She doesn't feel like she fits in. So far so good (or bad, for her). Maybe it's the wings. Or that she's an alien. Or the problems that crop up after she discovers her wings. Or that she's an alien.

Did I mention she's an alien?

I read this a while back, but there are parts of the
Faithann
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I entered to win this book, I thought it would be a good book. Another book about angels, but with a new twist....they aren't really angels, they're aliens. I couldn't have been more wrong. It was a GREAT book. I enjoyed this book from start to finish, and can't wait to read the rest of the series. Melanie Nilles did a fabulous job in creating another world and civilization. Raea is a very likeable and realistic character, it reminded me of being that age and feeling all the same insecuriti ...more
Carleny
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was a free book so I had nothing to complain about in terms of wasting my money on it or anything like that. Overall it wasn't what I expected. I had hoped that this book would deviate from the normal and not made everything so predictable. There was no character development, the characters weren't likeable at all, in fact, all of the characters were quite forgettable.

The main character seemed way too childish for an 18 year old and that to me was too unrealistic to take anything serious. She
Claire
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked it, it was a good story despite a few spelling and grammar mistakes, I'm starting to realise that most free books on kindle have that, though and the characters made up for it.
Titan
We all know I'm a sucker for a read that's of little to no cost. So, along comes Starfire Angels, book one of the Dark Angel Chronicles, and my willingness to throw myself into the fray for free. I'd like to start off by saying Starfire Angels wasn't all that bad, but it did rub me the wrong way—right from the get-go.

First and foremost of my gripes: the location. North Dakota. Original, sure (whatever). Promising, however—not by a long shot. North Dakota is pretty much the perfect setting to gua
Aly
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Did not enjoy this one as much as I wanted too.
Brittany Goodman
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast

This story I fast paced and kept me flipping the pages. The characters are relatable, the plot quick and intense.
Cherese A. Vines
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA
Starfire Angels by Melanie Nilles

What we think we know of angels may be completely wrong.

Raea wakes up in a cold sweat. She has dreamed of her mother again. Her mother has wings. Is it because she died 13 years ago and Raea's subconscious wants her to believe her mother is in a better place watching over her? For normal teens that would probably be the answer, except Raea wakes from one of these dreams with wings of her own.

Starfire Angel Book # 1 of the Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles b
Lynn Worton
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Dark Angel Chronicles. I really enjoyed it.

Raea Dahlrich is a character I really liked. She is a seventeen year old with the usual angst issues. But, all is not what it seems and her life is about to change forever. I liked watching this character grow throughout the story.

I downloaded this book a while ago, but never seemed to get time to read it. I found myself in between books and decided to give this story a try. I am glad I did, because it was a really fun sto
Barbara ★
Unfortunately this book epitomizes what I hate about young adult books in general and the reason I have decided not to start any more young adult series'. I may (or may not) finish the series I've already started but I'll make that determination on a series by series basis depending on how much the main character annoys me.

In this one, Raea Dahlrich is a senior in high school (so 17 or 18) but she acts like a much younger boy-crazy girl. Now Raea is an outcast (because of her tattooed hands and
Linda Harley
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Raea is your typical high school student that soon finds out that she is not who she thought she was. This is a wonderful coming-of-age story with a masterful twist on the idea. The twist… well one morning Raea finds out that she had grown wings over night! At first she tries to hide it from everyone, until she realizes that she’s gonna have to trust her aunt with it. Turns out she already knew and so does the crazy introverted boy who lives next to them, except he’s no ordinary human. He to com ...more
D. Moonfire
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a romance that I enjoy reading and which means it doesn't come with a formula. It has some wonderful character development and builds up nicely, but I felt there were places where the story jumped emotional tracks a bit too quickly. Then again, teenagers aren't exactly known for their stability in this area so that could be accurately written. The bad guy is shown to be very bad, but only past the magical point when he turns into possible marriage material into the Nasty Evil Bad Guy. I ...more
Lacey
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
First Thoughts:

I'm so glad that I risked reading this book. It was a wonderful and fast read for me. I've been fascinated with angels for quite awhile now. So when I come across an angel book I question to read it and I so chose to read this one. It really was fun to get inside the characters minds and experience along side Raea what it's like to be thrown from your normal life into something much more different than you could ever imagine.

Summary:

This is about a girl who lost her mom and stepfa
Catalina
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I've read books about 'angels' before, but this book took me by surprise. I was curious as to what would happen throughout the book, even though I had a good guess as to what would happen at the end. The pace seemed a bit fast, with not much detail on what the characters in the book felt. I felt like I couldn't really understand them that well, or what they were thinking at certain points in the book. I found many grammatical errors throughout the book, which made me question the quality of the ...more
Lucie Paris
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Reactions:
Discovered as a free download on Amazon, with a promising first extract read, I felt like diving into the world imagined by Melanie Nilles.

A nice story about a high school student who wants to avoid drawing attention which attaches great importance to appearances and what people think.
Everything changes when she discovers her true identity and must rely on a social pariah to access to her inheritance. Meanwhile, she's dating an handsome Apollo who flirt with her. Although he does not m
Anne
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This is one of my many acquisitions that I got for free from iBook’s. The description from Goodreads promised me an interesting context with a lot of potential. I found this one of the better e-books I've found for free on iBook’s. Sometimes it was all a bit predictable but beggars cannot be choosers, right?

All in all I found it an entertaining story; the storyline was unique with some nice twists even though it was sometimes a bit easy to foretell the ending.

Our main character Raea is a bit o
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Marked (Soul Guardians #1)
  • The Amulet (Custodian Novel, #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • Grey Eyes (The Forever Trilogy, #1)
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • The Arrival (BirthRight Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow of the Sun (Timeless, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Emerald Talisman (Talisman, #1)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Silver Smoke (Seven Halos, #1)
  • Tempest (Destroyers, #1)
  • Redemption (Redemption, #1)
  • Demon Girl (Rae Wilder, #1)
Melanie Nilles (aka M. A. Nilles) is an avid animal lover and resides with her husband, kids, and a clowder of cats who take advantage of their human slaves for food and warm laps. An equestrian of over thirty years, Melanie has trained and ridden all disciplines from race horses to cow horses and western show and speed events to jumping and dressage.

At the same time, Melanie (Mel to those who kno
More about Melanie Nilles

Dark Angel Chronicles (4 books)
  • Broken Wings (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #2)
  • Crystal Tomb (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #3)
  • Forever Dark (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Yuck. In the dark of her room, she threw back her wet sheet and comforter and picked off her brown hair sticking to her neck and shoulders. Much better. The cold March night made her shiver, but after dreaming of fire and waking up soaked in sweat, she welcomed the cold. She'd welcome a hot shower in the morning even more.” 2 likes